It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Late Archaic Inhabitation in a Georgia Coastal Barrier Island

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Oh...so now yer gonna play the blame game?

Yes it MIGHT have been YOUR direct ancestor who was the carrier!!

Hey man long time no read. How is the search for Viking traces in the Newfoundland, Nunavut, Labrador and NS going?

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hanslune
How is the search for Viking traces in the Newfoundland, Nunavut, Labrador and NS going?

Here's from a recent chat I had with ATS member Peter Vlar (cut and paste saves typing before full caffeination):

Pat Sutherland was investigating sites on Baffin Island until she was shuffled out by Harper. Still don't have the straight skinny on that but things got weird at the Museum of History. I think she continued to publish at a Scottish university.
There was an investigation at Point Rosee in south-western Newfoundland based on some satellite imagery, but it did not pan out. We know that they went south of LaM because of the butternuts found there...the sites have not yet been discovered. Hop is apparently an expression of a likelihood, and no actual physical site. I still find the prospects exciting...and I love our Maritime provinces! (I have a photo of Mrs. Canuck and myself standing in Leif Erikson's bedroom)

Time frame for LaM has been expanded, which is always exciting. There was a book a while back from our late curmudgeonly icon Farley Mowat called The Alban Quest: The Search for a Lost Tribe, otherwise known as The Farfarers, that's worth a read...basically precedes Sutherland's research IIRC. Also saw a recent attempt to connect the Norse with Oak Island, but it was all about hopeful conjecture, rather than a discussion of any kind of evidence.
edit on 15-5-2020 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   

How is the search for Viking traces in the Newfoundland, Nunavut, Labrador and NS going?

Here's from a recent chat I had with ATS member Peter Vlar (cut and paste saves typing before full caffeination):

Pat Sutherland was investigating sites on Baffin Island until she was shuffled out by Harper. Still don't have the straight skinny on that but things got weird at the Museum of History. I think she continued to publish at a Scottish university.
There was an investigation at Point Rosee in south-western Newfoundland based on some satellite imagery, but it did not pan out. We know that they went south of LaM because of the butternuts found there...the sites have not yet been discovered. Hop is apparently an expression of a likelihood, and no actual physical site. I still find the prospects exciting...and I love our Maritime provinces! (I have a photo of Mrs. Canuck and myself standing in Leif Erikson's bedroom)

Time frame for LaM has been expanded, which is always exciting. There was a book a while back from our late curmudgeonly icon Farley Mowat called The Alban Quest: The Search for a Lost Tribe, otherwise known as The Farfarers, that's worth a read...basically precedes Sutherland's research IIRC. Also saw a recent attempt to connect the Norse with Oak Island, but it was all about hopeful conjecture, rather than a discussion of any kind of evidence.

Yes back in the early 90's I too made a pilgrimage of sorts to L'Anse aux Meadows. Where is the rest of those Maine pennies eh? So nothing new but then the evidence I believe is sitting under a street somewhere along the coast.
edit on 15/5/20 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Yes back in the early 90's I too made a pilgrimage of sorts to L'Anse aux Meadows. Where is the rest of those Maine pennies eh? So nothing new but then the evidence I believe is sitting under a street somewhere along the coast.
I find LaM to be a very spiritual place...just love that rugged beauty. And I'm sure we'll bumble into another Norse site in the Maritimes or New England. Stay well!

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 02:50 AM
link   

I find LaM to be a very spiritual place...just love that rugged beauty. And I'm sure we'll bumble into another Norse site in the Maritimes or New England. Stay well!

I went there on a cold misty morning after a very long drive from St. Johns one could almost image a viking ship sailing in and people come from the habitation to welcome them.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I went there on a cold misty morning after a very long drive from St. Johns one could almost image a viking ship sailing in and people come from the habitation to welcome them.
That's dedication, as I happen to know it's a 9 hour drive! You certainly had the right vibe. I hope I can go back to The Rock next summer.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   

That's dedication, as I happen to know it's a 9 hour drive! You certainly had the right vibe. I hope I can go back to The Rock next summer.

One of my Professor's knew one of the Viking deniers who had been his teacher. That professor took the nay side on the historical accuracy of the sagas. His counter theory was that NA/FN folks had gone and taken stuff from Greenland and set up LAAM. Interestingly enough they did find NA/FN DNA in Iceland recently.

I studied the Norse in Greenland as a side line during my archaeology studies.

I once drove across Saudi Arabia to see a site outside of Yanbo (disappointing).

edit on 17/5/20 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Slichter
Srinivasa Ramanujan suffered from a condition that could be treated with a routine surgical operation but his family could not afford the operation. Mathematics fields often didn't pay very well in that region.

Ramanujan did well enough. After all, he worked at Cambridge and was a Fellow of the Royal Society. His death was due to misdiagnosis, not lack of care or economic wherewithal.
It's been proposed that he had amoebic dysentery and possibly not tuberculosis. AFAIK, no culture has ever performed surgery to treat diarrhea.

originally posted by: SlichterThere is the conspiracy theory of Egyptian lime possibly making its way to seed the Mayan culture BC which seems possible.

In what way does this seem possible to you?

originally posted by: SlichterWhy these cultural enigmas never made it into the mainstream historical consciousness?

Depends on what you call cultural enigmas. Real ones do make it into mainstream, fake enigmas aren't usually investigated.

Harte

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join