It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks begins publishing 5 million emails from STRATFOR

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Ugh, what totally blows that for me this is big news and I have to learn it and fast. I need to find some real incriminating juicy info.
edit on 28-2-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I was following this thread when it first popped up and it was a great read with lots of info. I come back to check on updates and end up sifting through 34 pages of YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO!

There are just over 200 emails released and less than 5 million more to go. With the 200ish emails released, it is already nearly impossible to find any real info in this thread. I cannot do it, but I strongly suggest someone create an info only thread. Yes, I'm well aware I can go read the emails myself, and I have read many. But I'm also wanting videos released, twitter updates, etc. So I suggest an info only thread so people can get a quick update on what happened while they were sleeping without having to put on their muck boots and wade through the "I'm right/you're wrong" mud.

I'm all about ATSing this stuff out, but this arguing over the same idea over and over is getting nowhere. The way this thread is going, by the time the last emails come out this thread will be a raging monster.

I don't think I'm the only one here that feels this way, either. Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The more i read and the less i find - Is starting to make me wonder about the sacraficial lamb for goverment internet domination.

Perhaps CIA finds crappy agents and employees, sets up a failure of a "inteligence agency" only to hack it themselves take out wikileaks indirectly with insanly restrictive internet bils.

Tin foils hats on people, this is gunna get all "9 eleveny" soon

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I have to wonder though, why not just release them all? If they are gonna dole out 200 a week, its gonna take like 20 years to release them all.

Hell even 200 a day would take quite a while to get to 5 million.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Wikileaks insurance file content

includes names of spies and agents according to one analyst at Stratfor

Also, I have a question about this part (this is Assange's lawyer saying how Wikileaks would release full versions of all files -- including names of spies, etc. -- if harmed):

WikiLeaks, Mr. Stephens said, has "been subject to cyberattacks and censorship around the world and they need to protect themselves ... This is what they believe to be a thermonuclear device in the information age."

Wikileaks

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by plube
reply to post by arbiture

So part of your task at hand here on ATS is not ultruistic.then...OMG......you mean that you are here monitoring trends for you own personal gains then....your here for business purposes...weeding out what is being said about stratfor and how it might affect your business in the future.....feeling out the responses so that you too can be prepare for the baklash if and when you might possibly get hacked again yourself.
Oh please.....can you jonestly tell me in the world of corporate espianage that you would not use such tactic to further advance your business market....or use information to further the goals of your clients...like reading all these hack emails and seeing if any of them apply to the clientele that your company has established.
I bet your sniffing through the emails yourself like a little rat in a warren trying to eek out any bits of data which might help you to head off say a merger...or a sour business deal that may affect one or several of your clients.
Please do not play the bleeding heart here as it will not wash.....the question is not the ethics behind the emails right now...it is the content....and from what many have read about the internal workings of this company....it should be against the law for them to exist....at the end of the day it is spying.....and no matter what we all know we are more and more spied on everyday is this world....and it really is disgusting.
people spy because theya re paranoid about their own self delusional paranoia ...they are so hung up on their self importance and the fact that they themselves are most likely doing something dirty they need to hire a third party company such as yours to delve into other peoles business.....and if your company just looks at say marketing trends then that is a little diffferent that spying for profits......I mean really where are the ethics when a company is trying to further the greed of a murdurous company such as DOW chemicals.
hope you sleep with a clear conscience.

thanks for saving me the hassle
i can't stand irrational, ASSuming people, especially the "i've got mine" crowd.
lol especially when his replies to me are classic examples of Projection

he even assumes i called him a mf when i was quoting someone else

funny how the system justifiers always blame the victims, and those who rightfully seek redress.
guess its part of the system

lol what wiki and anon are doing is "unacceptable" to them

Focus on the critical sentence: "Yet, when a victim explodes or acts out in unacceptable ways, these same officials are shocked and indignant."

What exactly are these "unacceptable ways" of exploding or acting out? Who decided they were "unacceptable"? Why is it that "reluctant school officials" will not "take definitive action" against the bullies -- thus tacitly conceding that the bullying itself is not all that "unacceptable" -- while the same officials are "shocked and indignant" when the victim protests too strongly?

This pattern, and certain of its origins, will be found throughout history, in every culture around the world. The pattern is a simple and deadly one: the oppressor -- that is, those who are in the superior position, whether they are parents, school officials, or the government, or in a superior position merely by virtue of physical strength -- may inflict bodily harm and/or grievous, lifelong emotional and psychological injury, but the victim may only protest within the limits set by the oppressor himself. The oppressor will determine those forms of protest by the victim that are "acceptable."

You see this pattern with regard to many helpless, lonely children in addition to Billy Wolfe...
The oppressor may inflict unimaginable cruelties on innocent victims -- but the victims may only protest in ways which the oppressor deems "acceptable." The profound injustice is obvious, but not in itself remarkable or unexpected: this is how oppression operates. But ask yourself about the deeper reason for the prohibition. This is of the greatest importance: the victims may only protest within a constricted range of "permissible" behavior because, when they exceed the prescribed limits, they make the oppressors too uncomfortable. They force the oppressors to confront the nature of what they, the oppressors, have done in ways that the oppressors do not choose to face.

Take some time to appreciate the unfathomable cruelty of this pattern. You may be grievously harmed and even permanently damaged by the actions of those who hold unanswerable power -- but you may only speak about this evil and its effects within the very narrow limits set by those who would destroy you. If you are killed, the identical prohibitions apply to those who still manage to survive and who would protest the unforgivable crime committed against you. In this manner, the complacency and comfort of those who possess immense power and wealth are underwritten by the silence forced upon their victims. The victims may speak and even protest, but only within severely circumscribed limits, and only so long as their rulers are not made to feel too uncomfortable, or too guilty. Anything which approaches too close to the truth is strictly forbidden.

Memo to the Victims: You Yourselves Will Pay for the Crimes of the Ruling Class
powerofnarrative.blogspot.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Is it possible to revoke some one's citizenship on the grounds of them
being a total dickhead?
I don't care about the other leaks but the ones he has made that
potentially damage Australian interests upset me.
If I thought I could switch this dickhead off without getting done I
don't think I'd have too much of a problem.
BTW, close family friend in Sweden who knows the girl that is pressing
charges tells me that there is absolutely nothing behind it other than
prosecutors that are looking to make a name for themselves. My friend
speaks rather disparagingly about the girl who is claiming molestation.
I also think the whole rape thing is incorrect for if I remember
correctly rape was never the charge.

From http://__._/gifiles/docs/1050427_re-assange-is-off-the-hook-.html

Sorry if i posted weirdly, i'm not sure of the rules around it
They posted some new emails last night.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I will make a couple post from stories then comment. Just think of it as food for thought about this email drop.

The investigation's other findings include:

* Some 1,271 government organizations and 1,931 private companies work on programs related to counterterrorism, homeland security and intelligence in about 10,000 locations across the United States.

* An estimated 854,000 people, nearly 1.5 times as many people as live in Washington, D.C., hold top-secret security clearances.

* In Washington and the surrounding area, 33 building complexes for top-secret intelligence work are under construction or have been built since September 2001. Together they occupy the equivalent of almost three Pentagons or 22 U.S. Capitol buildings - about 17 million square feet of space.

* Many security and intelligence agencies do the same work, creating redundancy and waste. For example, 51 federal organizations and military commands, operating in 15 U.S. cities, track the flow of money to and from terrorist networks.

* Analysts who make sense of documents and conversations obtained by foreign and domestic spying share their judgment by publishing 50,000 intelligence reports each year - a volume so large that many are routinely ignored.

projects.washingtonpost.com...

The problem with many intelligence reports, say officers who read them, is that they simply re-slice the same facts already in circulation. "It's the soccer ball syndrome. Something happens, and they want to rush to cover it," said Richard H. Immerman, who was the ODNI's assistant deputy director of national intelligence for analytic integrity and standards until early 2009. "I saw tremendous overlap."

Even the analysts at the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC), which is supposed to be where the most sensitive, most difficult-to-obtain nuggets of information are fused together, get low marks from intelligence officials for not producing reports that are original, or at least better than the reports already written by the CIA, FBI, National Security Agency or Defense Intelligence Agency.

When Maj. Gen. John M. Custer was the director of intelligence at U.S. Central Command, he grew angry at how little helpful information came out of the NCTC. In 2007, he visited its director at the time, retired Vice Adm. John Scott Redd, to tell him so. "I told him that after 41/2 years, this organization had never produced one shred of information that helped me prosecute three wars!" he said loudly, leaning over the table during an interview.

Two years later, Custer, now head of the Army's intelligence school at Fort Huachuca, Ariz., still gets red-faced recalling that day, which reminds him of his frustration with Washington's bureaucracy. "Who has the mission of reducing redundancy and ensuring everybody doesn't gravitate to the lowest-hanging fruit?" he said. "Who orchestrates what is produced so that everybody doesn't produce the same thing?"

projects.washingtonpost.com...

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release December 29, 2009
Executive Order 13526- Classified National Security Information
This order prescribes a uniform system for classifying, safeguarding, and declassifying national security information, including information relating to defense against transnational terrorism. Our democratic principles require that the American people be informed of the activities of their Government. Also, our Nation's progress depends on the free flow of information both within the Government and to the American people. Nevertheless, throughout our history, the national defense has required that certain information be maintained in confidence in order to protect our citizens, our democratic institutions, our homeland security, and our interactions with foreign nations. Protecting information critical to our Nation's security and demonstrating our commitment to open Government through accurate and accountable application of classification standards and routine, secure, and effective declassification are equally important priorities.

www.whitehouse.gov...

And according to the military they are busy getting rid of the old and useless. Thats how they plan to fix the problem spoken of in the Top Secret America story.

www.fas.org...

And from what I see of Stratfor. They must have their head up their ass or be the stupidest intelligence firm out there. I would not be surprised if this is not retaliation for being a big waste of paper with the reports they do. And what better way to fix it then to destroy them with their own information.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by natters

Switch someone off sounds a little to me like wacking someone doesn't it.

Hmmmm.

I bet they will not release everything they see or they will get wacked

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
As far as the legal issue is concerned, the hack and release of these emails may or may not be legal.
The issue has been discussed to death here. Can we please get back to the content?

This reminds me of the phone hacking thing thats been here in the UK news of late. I personally don't care about which latest air head is &^%$$$^&* which latest boy band member but I do care when I see evidence of fraud and wrongdoing.
How we get this evidence is a seperate issue for a seperate thread. The fact remains that the info is out there now, can we please discuss it? I'm almost certain discussing this is legal.

Lots of guys are joining the discussion late and can't be bothered reading 30 odd pages of arguements over legalities and they get vilified for asking if any "Juicy news" has come to light.

I don't post often but Im an avid reader of the forum but this has gone far enough towards almost ruining a good thread on an important issue.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
For those who have sympathy for the poor unfortunate Corporations who use Stratfor.

news.yahoo.com...

As far as I'm concerned they can all rot in a trench, society would be better off.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Soldier
reply to post by buddhasystem

The error in your logic is bind boggling, you are dead wrong it is NOT theft

What you are suffering from is a condition what is called system justification
see here www.abovetopsecret.com...

Whoa. So first you insist on some kind of logic when you lay out your mumbo-jumbo about users' mailboxes and how this mailboxes were still there (hence ostensibly no theft), then when the nonsense of your argument is exposed you switch to ad hominem and how I'm so wrong is (ostensibly) "backing the system" -- so you admit you don't care about logic in the first place. Hypocritical much?

You know, I should be free to pick and choose my own relationship with media providers without having to be afraid that some anarchist mofo will read my e-mail and then post it on the web. If someone has a political theory that calls for privacy being violated, that's a violation of my freedom as well, so screw them.

edit on 28-2-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Silvertrowel

Why do you think that is? All the posts people thought were relevant, or funny, or whatever have been posted already. There are only 200 released so far, only so much you can say about 200 emails, some of which were useless.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
For those who have sympathy for the poor unfortunate Corporations who use Stratfor.

What does it have to do with anything? You seem to be dissatisfied with the condition of the world, and I would join you in that. However, how does it help us as a society that a vigilante group starts violating privacy that is already in jeopardy in the Unites States? First off, for the hackers it's a power trip and it's sad that you applaud someone's fetish. Then, it becomes acceptable in the society at large that you can justify violation of privacy in the name of some unspecified cause or because you enjoy mental masturbation. Then, people become tolerant to this sort of things and then it becomes a normal practice of various LEA and the government.

What you are saying is close to "it's OK to torture a few hundred employees of BP etc because the world we live in is unjust as it is".

Bleh.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
To many pages to read through but did the anon cheerleaders ever admit they got duped by anon over friedman stepping down as CEO? How can those emails be trusted after that?

@Stratfor
Contrary to information circulating on the Internet, George Friedman has not resigned and remains CEO of @Stratfor

twitter.com...#!/Stratfor

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

Right on...

This is an e-mail from Mr.Friendman sent yesterday:

I'm George Friedman, founder and CEO of Stratfor.

As most of you know, in December thieves hacked into Stratfor data systems and stole a large number of company emails, as well as private information of Stratfor subscribers and friends. Today Wikileaks is publishing the emails that were stolen in December. This is a deplorable, unfortunate -- and illegal -- breach of privacy.

Some of the emails may be forged or altered to include inaccuracies. Some may be authentic. We will not validate either, nor will we explain the thinking that went into them. Having had our property stolen, we will not be victimized twice by submitting to questions about them.

The disclosure of these emails does not mean that there has been another hack of Stratfor's computer and data systems. Those systems, which we have rebuilt with enhanced security measures, remain secure and protected.

The release of these emails is, however, a direct attack on Stratfor. This is another attempt to silence and intimidate the company, and one we reject. As you can see, emails sent to many people about my resignation were clearly forged.

We do not know what else has been manufactured. Stratfor will not be silenced, and we will continue to publish the geopolitical analysis our friends and subscribers have come to rely on.

As we have said before, Stratfor has worked to build good sources in many countries around the world, as any publisher of geopolitical analysis would do.

We are proud of the relationships we have built, which help our analysts better understand the issues in many of these countries through the eyes of people who live there.

We have developed these relationships with individuals and partnerships with local media in a straightforward manner, and we are committed to meeting the highest standards of professional and ethical conduct.

Stratfor is not a government organization, not is it affiliated with any government. The emails are private property. Like all private emails, they were written casually, with no expectation that anyone other than the sender and recipient would ever see them. And clearly, as with my supposed resignation letter, some of the emails may be fabricated or altered.

Stratfor understands that this hack and the fallout from it have created serious difficulties for our subscribers, friends and employees. We again apologize for this incident, and we deeply appreciate the loyalty that has been shown to Stratfor since last year's hack.

We want to assure everyone that Stratfor is recovering from the hack. We will continue to do what we do best: produce and publish independent analysis of international affairs. And we will be back in full operation in the coming weeks. We look forward to continuing to serve you.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

on the main wiki page the first article.....bottom line.....click on gifiles....then they are all listed by year....open and read away.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Here is a little list of who (departments) within the US government subscribe to Stratfor in one way or another, paying anything up to US$124,000. at a time for various services. With US$254,000. paid out last year.
Nice list of contacts and clients to be connected with.

Department of Defense : AIR FORCE(Headquarters, USAF)
Department of Defense : ARMY(except Corps of Engineers Civil Program Financing)
Department of Defense : U.S. Special Operations Command
Department of Defense : NAVY
Department of the Interior : Office of Policy, Management and Budget/Chief Financial Officer
Department of Agriculture : Office of the Chief Financial Officer

www.usaspending.gov...#

www.usaspending.gov...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by rayuki

MMMMMMM what does that sound like??? arghhhh so difficult to think....Oh wait no its wikileaks

Despite the new disclosures, Wikileaks is still facing difficulties on several fronts.

The group admitted last October that it was running out of money.

"Power" grab

edit on 28-2-2012 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

What does it have to do with anything? You seem to be dissatisfied with the condition of the world, and I would join you in that. However, how does it help us as a society that a vigilante group starts violating privacy that is already in jeopardy in the Unites States? First off, for the hackers it's a power trip and it's sad that you applaud someone's fetish. Then, it becomes acceptable in the society at large that you can justify violation of privacy in the name of some unspecified cause or because you enjoy mental masturbation. Then, people become tolerant to this sort of things and then it becomes a normal practice of various LEA and the government.

What you are saying is close to "it's OK to torture a few hundred employees of BP etc because the world we live in is unjust as it is".

Bleh.

I was going to say you're really good at putting words in peoples mouths, but you actually suck at it.

I didn't say anything about torturing BP employee's.

These corporations use this intel from Stratfor to cheat, steal, lie, and now we find out they've added torture.

Corporations have sociopathic tendencies, they never look at human cost, just bottom line.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join