It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Santorum: "I don't believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Please don't start about missionaries.

"We'll give you food stuff if you accept our word that this mythology is true, and you dedicate your life to giving as much as you can to our church...You will leave behind your own heritage, and the beliefs and wisdom you've been living under for thousands of years in order to swallow whole stories that we stole from other religions." If you don't, you don't get the goodies. Preying on the weak in their time of need is unconscionable.

Have you heard of the mission system in California? Another dark time in the annals of Catholicism. Forced labor and the destruction of the coastal natives' way of life. Progress? All in the name of teaching people who'd lived a fantastic lifestyle for thousands of years about middle eastern fables.

Third world countries need food, education, fresh water, and a way to climb out of poverty. They need science. They don't need bronze age religious dogma. They don't need Catholicism. Their religions are just as valid as yours. Converting them, or trying to, shows a complete disregard and intolerance for other faiths.Nothing new there, but I thought I'd mention it.

I didn't take anything out of context, by the way. I simply outlined crimes against humanity carried out in the name of the Church of Rome. These things happened. You didn't address whether you agreed. You simply attacked me as a hater. That's a tried and trusted diversionary tactic. Attack the messenger and ignore the message. Your church was responsible for some nasty things. Remember the policy of non-involvement with the third Reich's atrocities? Yep, that was your lot. Plenty of power to stop it, but did nothing. Hitler being a "good" Catholic, and all that.

I acknowledged that there were charity aspects, and I noted too that there are plenty of other charities. The church doesn't do it all. Far from it. Those non-religious charities are subject to scrutiny with regard to the allocation of funds. The church is not subject to such scrutiny. They didn't build the Vatican from money spent on charity.

As previously noted, there are financial implications. Myself and other non-Christians are out of pocket to allow your church the tax exempt status. Those taxes have to be paid, and if the church doesn't the rest of us do. Are you willing to reimburse us? Why is your church tax exempt, yet others are not? Either they all are, or none are. The government cannot make that distinction.

Santorum's words show a complete disregard of the constitution. That's not what anyone wants from any politician, let alone a presidential candidate. What will he go after next should he be elected? Back to the flat earth, and exorcisms for diseases? Will we have to teach our children that bats have feathers, insects have four legs, and eating shrimp is an abomination?

Why was my comment on the Dark Ages so laughable? Scientific breakthroughs were stunted, suppressed, and punished. That doesn't seem like progress to me. Who had all the power at the time? Well, you know the answer. You'll likely have a little snipe about me and "lefty" types instead of answering.

As Ghandi said, "I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
The hilarious part is, Santorum sounds just like the Ayatollah in Iran

Doesn't matter which religion they belong to, religious fundamentalists are clowns...all of them!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
The hilarious part is, Santorum sounds just like the Ayatollah in Iran

Doesn't matter which religion they belong to, religious fundamentalists are clowns...all of them!

The key word is 'fundamentalist'. You can always tell when they have lost their sense of humor.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
GOD = Government Of Dollars

In the Government Of Dollars we trust.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

If to many Americans support this religion soiling idiot, then God help the USA. We have clearly become unhinged regarding the idea a politician must have a religion based ethics, oh you mean like the Crusades or terrorists blowing people up in the name of God?

I don't have a problem with anyone having a certain religious point of view or none at all. I personally know a card caring atheist that is a major and very good politician and no I won't name that person. But the interesting fact is what I have always said about people with no religious convictions whatever. If you treat people and maybe live your life but certainly treat people with the teachings proclaimed by or attributed to Christ and The Buddha, then you will be a "righteous" person and frankly never go wrong. This person does just that.

This person just tries to leave the "religion angle" out of the work of our government. This person said (and I'm not saying if its a man or women) that it frightened them to find out how many people in the US vote "reflexively" for someone they think they identify with, and religion is a huge factor here. It shouldn't be but America is by its nature a VERY conservative country for those who do or do not live here.

I've said it before and say it again "with feeling" The Puritans landed at Plymouth Rock in the early 1600's. And you know what? They never left, you still seem them everyday. So because the Puritans were such fanatics and SO religiously conservative England kicked them out!! Says a lot don't you think?

edit on 8/3/12 by arbiture because: add stuff, and yada yada...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Its not at all funny to me that ANY of my fellow Americans would be such extremist's. Frankly I worry about those who's apocalyptic ideology foresees a third world war or strange event where people, (funny, its usually fundamentalist Christians) are "beamed" to "heaven" and the rest of us sinners are left to I don't know battle Satan, declare our conviction for some God or suffer terrible torture's? Give me a break please.

I do fear the possibility that there are people with the training and mindless idiotically to do something seriously stupid around 12/21/12. The Mayan End of Days. Actually its not for anyone who have actually studied what the Mayan said the end of the world, or to them the universe as they felt we and everything is connected. OK, they got THAT right IMHO. Its just a transition to a new age.

I honestly think that this "New Age" could be a new Enlightenment but now thanks to technology world wide for the first time is possible, eventually inevitable. That is a future I bust my ass every day to make happen.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Please don't start about missionaries.

When you stop defaming the Catholic Church with your one-sided, slanted opinions, I might relent. Just maybe.

"We'll give you food stuff if you accept our word that this mythology is true, and you dedicate your life to giving as much as you can to our church...You will leave behind your own heritage, and the beliefs and wisdom you've been living under for thousands of years in order to swallow whole stories that we stole from other religions." If you don't, you don't get the goodies. Preying on the weak in their time of need is unconscionable.

Give me a break. Patently ridiculous. Most people that go to soup kitchens don't convert. No one pressures them to join the Church. No one puts a gun to their head. What a pathetic bunch of nonsense! Some convert out of the good actions of others, but never out of coercion or force. Your examples and assumptions are patently ridiculous and utterly false.

In fact, if you look at the charitable activities of the Church, nearly all of the charitable activities are targeted towards non-Catholics and non-believers. The Church actively provides food, shelter, clothing, and other necessities to non-Catholics without any form of religious coercion of any kind. Not even handing out a Bible, or pressuring people to attend a Catholic Mass. Instead, it's pure charity with no expectation of reward.

You didn't address whether you agreed. You simply attacked me as a hater. That's a tried and trusted diversionary tactic. Attack the messenger and ignore the message. Your church was responsible for some nasty things. Remember the policy of non-involvement with the third Reich's atrocities? Yep, that was your lot. Plenty of power to stop it, but did nothing. Hitler being a "good" Catholic, and all that.

More falsehoods. Yawn. Your statements get more laughable my the minute, so it's hard to take you seriously. When you spread lies and falsehoods about the Catholic Church, that is the classical definition of hate speech.

Hitler wasn't Catholic. If anything, he was a Satanist and an occultist. (He wasn't a Freemason either.) Second, he murdered thousands of Catholics, especially nuns and priests. Frankly, your assertions aren't only historically inaccurate, but blatantly false as well.

According to a press release from Catholic League President, William A. Donohue (2/4/99): "Hitler was a neo-pagan terrorist whose conscience was not informed by Christianity, but by pseudo-scientific racist philosophies. Hitler hated the Catholic Church, made plans to kill the Pope, authorized the murder of thousands of priests and nuns, and did everything he could to suppress the influence of the Church."

During the war, many Church priests and nuns hid Jewish men, women, and children from the Nazis, sometimes even taking in Jewish children to Catholic schools to avoid Nazi persecution. These sane nuns and priests even made an explicit point of not converting these Jewish children to Catholicism. In fact, even now, many years later, many Catholics have been given high awards and honors for their activities in protecting the Jewish people from Nazis.

Your assertions are pure make-believe nonsense.

The church doesn't do it all. Far from it.

Nonsense. The Church is by far the largest philanthropic and charitable religious institution in the world, and has been for centuries.

Why is your church tax exempt, yet others are not?

More nonsense. Plenty of religious denominations claim tax-exempt status in the United States besides just the Roman Catholic Church. Jewish, Buddhist, Protestant, and other religious organizations all claim tax-exempt status. To suggest otherwise is simply not factual.

Why are religious organizations such as the Catholic Church tax-exempt? Because these are non-profit organizations, and are purposely designed to help communities with combating hunger, poverty, sickness, etc., as well as providing for the community's spiritual needs. They do a lot of good for the community, with prayer groups, soup kitchens, religious instruction, etc.

Priests and nuns give up secular living to devote their entire lives to serving God and others, including helping members of their community during times of great turmoil, such as illness and death. The state recognizes that we shouldn't burden these institutions with taxes, as these organizations are entirely designed for the purpose of helping the community, including the poorest of the poor.

Why do you want to tax a church that runs a soup kitchen, anyways? Or that has a prison ministry, catering to prisoners and the lowest rungs of society? Seriously, are you that ignorant and avaricious that you want to attack those people that serve the poorest of the poor?

Priests and nuns live celibate lives and earn very little money. Most are practically destitute. They give their entire lives to helping others less fortunate. And you want to tax them? Are you kidding me? What kind of vicious person are you?

edit on 8-3-2012 by CookieMonster09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. Worst part is, he's said some even more ridiculous stuff.

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Until 'God we Trust' is scrubbed from our money ... and swearing on bibles is scrubbed from the court room ... and 'national prayer breakfast' is scrubbed from Washington DC ... then there is not an absolute 'separaton of church and state'. BTW .. that term - 'separation of church and state' - isn't in the law books or historical documents anywhere. Maybe it's time for it to really be there??
Definitely.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Here's the reason why Santorum's quest for enforcing biblical law is RIDICULOUS:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
We need to come together as a people and as a nation and put into effect a ruling government that is above corruption agendas. Partisan politics and politicians are destroying this republic. It isnt working. At roughly slightly over 200 years old this nation wont sustain itself at this rate.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Great! We can start by taxing church property and infuse that 100 billion into our economy!

(why did it get so quiet.)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Well he needs to drop out of the elections, because he has made it clear his intentions to commit treason once he is in office

He desires to overthrow the ONE amendment that he claims protects HIM to establish HIS faith as rule. And to enter into office to do that if he were to be elected he would have to LIE while taking his Oath of office.

The ppl that are so outraged over Obama's eligibility, should have a clear shot at this one, the guy is making it clear what he intends to do

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Who is voting for this guy?
I just want all of us to come together and take over our country....
One day..

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This shows Obama has to be-elected. Romney would be ok too.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join