It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Can WE Do

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I know that I don't post that much here on ATS but I definitely feel apart of the community. I devote a lot of time reading through ATS's New Topics Page and put a lot of effort into doing my own independent research on topics being discussed.

My question to you all is what can we do as a community beyond ATS? We talk daily about what's going on in the world, and a lot of times get frustrated that these topics aren't at the forefront of the general public's minds. But isn't spending the bulk of our time discussing these things amongst ourselves sort of defeating the purpose of spreading this information to the masses?

What can we do to form a more organized approach to waking people up? I've been spending a lot of my time these days posting stories, videos and rants on Facebook about what's going on behind the scenes to minimal avail. How can I change up my approach to get people to just stop and listen for a minute, and really consider the message I'm trying to help get out there?

Mods, feel free to move this post to the rants section if need be.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JGibWakes

People do not want to be woken up, that is the problem. People want the easy option and that means 1 vote every 4 years and that's it. Only the complete dismantling of the political system with all its corruption will lead to change but one must be careful to guard against the same thing happening with the next political system. It never takes long for those who seek power to slowly start to regain it again. While we place our trust, faith and security in the hands of the few, nothing at all will change for humanity for the next 100 million years.
Just my 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
We should get terribly rich, and then we give a few cents to charity.

Then everybody will listen, no matter what we say!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I read somewhere and in someway believe it, I read that when people want to wake up to the harsh reality of the world, then they will do so themselves, not with the help of others. I myself have tried to show people whats going on and they either just brush it off because it is not from the MSM, or else they just don't really care. I myself am very interested in helping people wake up, but then again ignorance is bliss. I'm not gonna lie sometimes I wish I never awoke because ever since I have felt left out from society (i get really lonely sometimes now).

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

How did we get to this point though? How did an entire nation forget who we were? What happened to all the brave men and women who cried out in protest to being opressed and actually did something about it? The American Revolution, the Civil War, the Civil Rights Movement. There was a time where, yes, we were scared of breaking the norm but we pushed our fear to the side and stood together courageously, time and time again. Where did our courage go, our fight and our drive to build a better future?

That all seems like a distant memory to me.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thatshicray

I feel the same way you do about waking people up. It breaks my heart sometimes to see how many people just go about their lives like zombies. I feel like I'm trapped in a bad, crazy movie that nobody else seems to be aware of. I remember watching Thrive and a comment by David Icke really stuck out to me. It was when he was talking about when he woke up and said something along the lines of "It wasn't until I found myself looking from an outside view that I realized what a prison I used to live in."

But it's just so frustrating, so infuriating and yet so heartbreaking seeing how many people are going about their lives absolutely blind. I want to do something so bad and yet feel so powerless. I believe so much in good but evil's built such an uphill battle for us to climb.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JGibWakes

My question to you all is what can we do as a community beyond ATS?

How can I change up my approach to get people to just stop and listen for a minute, and really consider the message I'm trying to help get out there?

A few years ago I tackled the same questions that you do now. But it only takes one person on a street corner with a sign on a heavily trafficked road to get your message out.... if that's what you want to do.

There are countless other websites that are attuned to your interests. What do you want to do, change the world? Be careful not to cross the line here on the forums, though. ATS is a conspiracy site at heart. Rules against recruiting/organizing are in the Terms of Service.

I hope you are successful in getting your message out. (It is a great feeling)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

Hold up, rules are in ATS's Terms & Conditions against recruiting/organizing? Why?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Unfortunately most people on this website are divided into their own factions. Even though we need to "wake" the people our internal problems will get in the way. That's what I think anyway.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

That could probably be a whole topic in itself, but basically greed, laziness and a positive attitude that things would "be alright". And Life. I imagine people have a similar cycle (possibly measured in generations) where they swing from willing citizens to vengeful tyrant haters, much like the business cycle regulates business every 20 years. The boom to bust thing.

They gave us the right to vote right before they sabotaged the political system. A vote counts for nothing anymore, it does NOT influence policy, just whichever pre-appointed political goon gets voted in, the story is always the same though, mainly more and less. More taxes, less freedoms.

As for civil rights, I don't think that really turned out all that well although I am no expert on such things. MLK got shot, a few others too if I remember rightly from my limited exposure.

To build a better future means different things to different people and politicians. Going to work and paying taxes do nothing much but support the system and enable it's grip over peoples lives. Sure, you can maybe buy a house or a car but it's not freedom. Possibly even the opposite. It does not provide happiness, just the "tools" to live. Meanwhile they get to spend your taxes on whatever they want, whether it's black projects, wars abroad or the TSA.

IMHO we're all screwed and always have been.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Which brings me back to the original question: What can we do?

Sadly and as much as I really hate with all my heart to admit it, maybe we are all screwed. But is there really nothing we can do? Is this system we have become enslaved in really unstoppable? If we really were compelled to bring the system to its knees, couldn't we just do a mass civil disobedience and shut the system down. And drive out the powers that be?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

What can we do?

Some (many) on here would tell you to take advantage of the political system and vote for someone who says things you like and agree with.

I think history shows that rarely does that work.

Others here say vote Ron Paul. While everything he says seems quite realistic and fine, the proof will be in the pudding. I would like to think he is the man to change things but being honest, I do wonder if it's not a little too much to ask for in today's situation. I don't have any definite answers for you but I know things need to change, only we aren't allowed to change them. Thats why they have politicians, to restrict and resist the changes that the people demand.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JGibWakes

Hold up, rules are in ATS's Terms & Conditions against recruiting/organizing? Why?

They are simple rules and clearly drawn. The Above Network acts like any other big website/social media company. The owners/ moderators enforce these rules to protect TAN assets. In other words, ATS is not your political machine. You can have free speech and political ideas on ATS (and we all do) but there is a line. That line is recruitment and organizing.

I think ATS does allow for some forms of speech that you are looking for. Mostly in Current Events forums or Social Issues or Breaking News. For instance, if you posted a Breaking News thread "Riot at Courthouse" it would be allowed. But you cannot post a thread "Join me at the Riot at the Courthouse tomorrow!". I think that is as clear as I could explain. If you are ever in doubt just ask a moderator.

Terms And Conditions Of Use, page 1
www.abovetopsecret.com...

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

iii) You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to solicit members of the Websites on behalf of another message board, online community or competitor. You will not attempt to use your membership to encourage or lure other members in any way to other websites or discussion boards in competition with TAN (The Above Network). Doing so will result in removal of your Post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Alright, no I can understand where that would be applicable, as in your example. But what about the other perspective. For instance, say people want to organize a non-violent movement and felt there were individuals on these forums that could contribute to the cause. You wouldn't even be able to discuss this?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

It would be discussable I think, but not if you came here with the intention of actively recruiting ATS members. A simple "Hey, anyone noticed this site and knows what it's about?" would be fine but I don't think you will find many rebels with or without a cause here.

The question does often come up though, What can we do? only nothing ever much comes of it, like much in life.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I have tried to open others eyes with little success in the past.
What I do now is learn as much about the current state of affairs as my old brain can handle and whenever
a subject comes up in conversation I am able to throw in a couple of alternative ideas without sounding like chicken little.I find I if you sound too alarmist people instantly switch off, almost like a defensive mechanism kicks in.
Feed them just a little info and they will come up with questions in their own time.Plant the seed.
I also think unless someone has been directly affected by something TPTB have done,the common mentality is that its "not my problem/wouldnt happen over here/Im sweet so who cares/dont worry about it bro/you sound like one of those conspiracy nuts/wheres your tin hat.."or dont worry,theres nothing you or I can do about it (which I totally disagree with and ignore).
The thing that switched me on was my bankruptcy when banks foreclosed even though debt was reducing and we were heading into the"black" again.It seemed completely over the top.
Given that I now had plenty of time after that, I did some investigating into the world of finance and the like which has eventually led me to ATS and the same realization/conclusion that others here and elsewhere have come to. So I suggest, keep the input of knowledge going and when the SHTF you will be able to use that knowledge to 1..reduce fear and shock through sharing said knowledge ..2...Use that knowledge to aid in the survival/recovery in the variety of possible scenarios.
Just be prepared though,If the S does HTF you will be the "go to guy/girl. The first person within your circle that they will go to for questions/answers.
And you will have the dubious pleasure of saying "I told you so"
PS..The first thing that really opened my eyes and made an immediate impact was watching the zeitgeist series, of which I still occasionally hand out dvds of. A little idealistic but I think shows a fairly accurate overview of our situation..
Peace

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I'd recommend you go over to ATS Board Business & Questions forum. Here is the link.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join