It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS like google? I just posted the word trucker and now heading is full of trucker ads!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
WTF!!! Seriously, I am a member here. is ATS directing advertisements at me based on my posts? Is anyone else experiencing this? Maybe I should go back to reddit. I could understand if I was a guest like I was two years previous. This really dissappoints me its if so.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sirjunlegun

Ok...i made a comment that had the contents out bio-diesel and truckers in it. I am getting diesel jean and CEVA Trucking ads. CEVA appears to have the all seeing eye in its logo. WTF!!??

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Advertisements !!! Oh my lerrrrd!!! What are we gonna derrrrr?!!!! Oh my lerrdy lerrrrd!!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

can you expand a bit please?
you posted the word where exactly?
in the search engine? i genuinely dont understand

edit: ive just seen your 2nd post, it wasnt there previously
edit on 26/2/12 by SecretKnowledge because: if i was an american, i'd vote for ron paul too

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Advertisements !!! Oh my lerrrrd!!! What are we gonna derrrrr?!!!! Oh my lerrdy lerrrrd!!!!
reply to post by NoLoveInFear46and2

I come here to learn and share not be data farmed.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NoLoveInFear46and2

whats with all the lerdy lerd.
you've done this in another thread recently.
this thread
your inability to contribute intelligently disappoints me.

the ads i get a mostly of the star wars online game, i am a gamer and contribute often to the video games threads.
i will be more aware of ats advertisments now to see if this happens more.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
lol ya that is how advertisement works

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint
lol ya that is how advertisement works

Personally, if I have to see advertisements, I'd rather they were about things that I am actually interested in, than thing that are completely out of my sphere of consumerism. It's the new way of business, you're not that anonymous anymore.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Well I just typed in "Nice women with big jugs" obviously.

Still waiting on the ad

edit on 26-2-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
EDIT: T&C

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

(thanks to the poster below)

So make sure you disable your firefox ad-block while on ats ....
edit on 26-2-2012 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
Above top secret uses google +1 and google analytics. If you want to block them from doing this, get a firefox add on called ghostery and Add block plus.

You don't want to do that. Use of blockers is against the membership T&C's.

Instead, click on the ad choices link at the foot of the page.

But be aware that advertising is the only source of income for this site, without the advertisers ££$$ the site wouldn't be as good as it is.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

This is actually subliminal trolling as I spew this stupid sentence here and there until someone catches on and maybe, just maybe got a chuckle or cracked a smile. Nothing hurtful was said brother, I expected some to just disregard it but if only one of you cracked a smile, then I did well, and I'm happy.

Sorry for anyone who's been offended ( probably OP ) but have a nice one and...
Lighten up! Peace!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirjunlegun
WTF!!! Seriously, I am a member here. is ATS directing advertisements at me based on my posts? Is anyone else experiencing this? Maybe I should go back to reddit. I could understand if I was a guest like I was two years previous. This really dissappoints me its if so.

I think I understand exactly what you're talking about here and it's as annoying to me as it is to you. It isn't ATS, as I understand it though. I don't use Ads on my own sites at this point, but I believe the Google supplied Ads are helping themselves to the indexing to better target ads like that.

I've been noticing it quite a bit when I'm not in a browser with add-ons activated. I'd done a weird search for a drug related thing ONE TIME...and had ads popping up on sites all over that suddenly offered me every 'smoking accessory' you could imagine. I loved the old days when Ads were blind and just displayed. They didn't watch.

Talk about embarrassing with mixed company in view of my screen. Err... Yeah... How DID that ad pop up on a site that had nothing to do with it..err..uhhh...

edit on 26-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

But be aware that advertising is the only source of income for this site, without the advertisers ££$$ the site wouldn't be as good as it is.

oopseys now I feel bad. I have turned my blocker off.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
To answer your question about Ads on the site, They do use an analytic software for ads, they change to best suit the users profile. In a way yes i agree its wrong, Google is great for this as well as many other Domains and sites.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This has been happening for a long time. Suprised you just noticed. It kinda sucks though, I agree.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

yep...seems so

recently on my laptop I searched for flights in Australia; also checked my points info at Hilton Hotel; did a comparison on car insurance and was looking at some properties in Victoria...

well, now logged in from a different pc and the ads are 'cheap flights to Perth' ; Hilton Hotel special 5000 point bonus offer' 'captain comparison car insurance'; and 'big land block mega sale'

wtf??

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
What's REALLY SPOOKY is when you say something (to a household member or in a telecon) and THEN go online and get ads for that subject!

But, it gets WORSE! Sometimes I "think" about something (that I don't commonly think about or do) and then the next time I go online it's advertised.

At least it's better than when the net advertising started and email didn't have spam filters and women got dozens of offers a day to enlarge body parts they didn't even have!

new topics

top topics

join