It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are Masons?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I've heard a hell of alot about "Mason's or Freemason's" in this topic, who are they and what do they do?

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Minime;

Without seeming rude, please, could I suggest a read through of the posts on this forum?

Masonry is the worlds oldest fraternity, existing, according to some records, since the reign of King Athelstan in England in the tenth century. According to others, it is an offshoot of the operative masonic guilds of the 16th and 17th centuries. Myself, I do not ascribe to the latter for a host of reasons, not the least of which is a severe problem with the idea that hard working stonemasons would develop a system of morality that would at any point appeal to non masons such that they would attempt to join.

the plain fact is that our history is shrouded by our own secrecy. Example, when three lodges went public in 1717, many other lodges actully burned their records rather than have them become public. Further, it is highly unlikely that stonemasons would need secrecy such as masonry retains today.

So, what is masonry? It is a system of morality taught by morality plays and lectures, illustrated by symbols. It is a place for good men to associate with other good men, where, through mutual support and effort, we make ourselves better men through service to g-d, our neighbors, our community and ourselves.

As an example of what this means, men such as George Washington, Paul Revere, Nathan Hale, Harry Truman, John Wayne, Blackjack Pershing, Douglas MacArthur, George S. Patton, Omar Bradley, Jessee Jackson, Red Skelton have met on the level. Masons, through our various charities, donate over $720 MILLION per year, not including the labor services we provide to our communities, such at the Child ID Programs, College Scholarships, Angel Funds etc.

We become better men through association with other good men, and through the study of morality and by the inculcation of those lessons in our daily lives. We become better men by maintaining secrecy, by practicing charity, by acting in prudent, just, and temperate manners.

I do not know if this is what you meant by your question, but after reading the posts on this forum about masonry, if you still have questions, please feel free to ask away.

And thanks for asking.

new topics

join