It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preparing for the end? .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
If you are on here sipping soda and snacking on cheetos I'm quite confident you will like me and many others not last very long.

I have read so many posts on here as far as how to survive should everything fall apart. I don't care how much you prepare for the end you are only living on borrowed time. The actual hunters that own property that live in the mountains away from civilization have a great chance but even their time is borrowed. Some popular thoughts around survival is noted below and naturally argued.

Keep gold or precious metals on hand
Do you really believe within the first year people are going to be trading gold for food or water to other people who are scared crapless about the future?

By a generator
Unless you get the stealthiest generator made this will surely be a magnet to attract attention to you and because it runs on gas it’s only going to take you so far. Great for storms not great for long term survival.

By weapons
And how long do you think you are going to survive fending off people if you are living in a ravaged city. Do you think you are going to hunker down in your house that is most likely made of wood and flammable? I’m pretty sure if people can’t get what you have they will not want you to have it either.

Welcome back diseases
Just think of all of the disease and bacteria that will be flourishing in some hot and humid environments. How will you be treated and sure you can keep some antibiotics on hand however it can only last so long providing you are even able to diagnose some symptoms requiring the correct antibiotic.

Live in the north east or areas with multiple seasons?
You may make it past the summer but how do you think you will do in the winter? How are your hunting skills and you ‘ll be lucky if you can catch a squirrel let alone properly dress one. Sure there will be plenty of pigeons and birds but what about potable water?

Live in the areas where the temperature is mild on year long
Congratulations you will not be getting any rest as people will be constantly on the lookout for other peoples stuff and they will take it without asking.

Invest in dried foods
I would agree with this but have you ever looked at how much space you need to supply a family of four with dried food for a year or two? It’s a lot..now put in place water. I think a person could be able to get by with a 2 liter of water a day maybe more maybe a little less..again if you have some family how much does that equal to?
Things will be very difficult if the country was to plunge into chaos and although police may have a presence it’s only going to be so long until they start tending to their families. Please refer to Hurricane Katrina and the looting that some of the police took part in…I can’t say I blame them either as I would do the same for my family if it came to it. If your moral compass directs you otherwise it will once you hit survival mode.

I personally cannot see the country going into complete collapse from the alleged “Powers That Be” simply because what’s the point of collapsing a country if there is nothing for you and your family to gain? They too can only survive so long in a environment that lacks resources. Do you really believe that they would be happier to live in a bunker for a few years only to finally leave it to a mad max type of civilization? You are kidding yourself if you think that. I’m sure the rich have become quite accustomed to their current lifestyle and they too are not looking for a total collapse.

Am I a survivalist? No, but do you really think reading and saving some pdf downloads or youtube video link on line is going to make you one?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I'm just going to sit on the porch and drink my jager and watch the show, while everyone is running, saying "It's the end of the world and we're all going to die". Watch them all try to pile their belongings into their cars, running around in the streets rampant with their arms flying in the air.
That's how I envision everyone who knows their about to die.

Hmm, even when the aliens come to attack us. I'll be so drunk that the alien and I will be staring at each other and it will be saying to itself, "Now, why isn't she flinching?" and then move on to the next crazed person.

edit on 26-2-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
What exactly is the end and how is it being approached? I hope an economic collapse is not the end of all. Trading with silver and gold never works here after because what is left after the collapse will be meaningless. To start over with gold and silver is to kick start again a monetary system which is meaningless.

Without knowing the 'type' of the end, no one will survive except those who will flee from the planet.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Huh, Well interesting indeed. honestly there should be an ATS members SHTF meet up place so when it does end we can all meet up and help each other out.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
When everyone else becomes skin and bones, and we are still at proper weight, it will be obvious who has the food.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

There will never be an '[color=FFBE5C]End'.

There will only be '[color=75DFFF]Change'.

[color=75DFFF]Change is constant.
Always has been.
Always will be.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
People that are preppers
subconsciously want something
to happen. Think about all the time
invested in the prep. Hour upon hours,
dollar upon dollars, invested and spent
on the mere *what if* scenario...

Lets just pray nothing does happen.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
Do you really believe that they (TPTB) would be happier to live in a bunker for a few years only to finally leave it to a mad max type of civilization? I’m sure the rich have become quite accustomed to their current lifestyle and they too are not looking for a total collapse.

Mad Max or Resident Evil (Extinction).

Personally I think the future is going to be a mix between the False Rapture, all Zombie films (28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead), The Happening, Resident Evil and finally The Minority Report where the scum elite and thought police are still in control.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
If someone has gold and I have food only one of us is going to eat.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Thisbseth

I think having a tight community would help the situation but in todays climate who really talks to their neighbor to a point where you could discuss some end plan in the event of some catostrophe. The flip side of that is creating a community who is primarily preparing for the worst and I'm not looking to align myself with some of the personalities that would be present for that..I'm looking for the rationally minded thinker,,

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

And who would want to raise a child in that type of atmoshere..

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Great thinking however I'm not looking forward to a change that means the end...either way it's bad for most

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

There are solutions to the issues you raise, and those of us that have planned, have already addressed them.

Generator.
If you have a generator, don't use it for lights. Only use it to run your refrigerator, and maybe a small a/c unit for one room of your house. Use it sparingly. The better solution is actually solar power and battery units, because that is silent and less likely to be discovered. Don't run your lights at night, and your neighbors will never know you are so well-equipped.

Gold and Silver
Doesn't hurt to have it, but should certainly not be a priority. If you can safely collect it without cutting back in other areas, then do so, but don't make it a priority. More important than gold and silver will be tobacco and alcohol, food and water, tools, ammunition, etc.

Weapons.
Again. Don't give people a reason to try and ransack your home. Don't brag about your preparation, don't hoard supplies or gold. Get to know your neighbors well, and create a mutually beneficial plan for survival. It is definitely much more difficult in a city environment, but as for my home, it is easily defendable, even from large hordes. The main goal though is to avoid any confrontation for the first few weeks. Hunker down inside, without drawing attention to yourself, and let the panicky public eliminate themselves while you live quietly off your stored supplies. Don't venture out until the chaos has died down.

Diseases
Diseases are spread through over-population and unsanitary conditions. If you have prepared properly, with clean water supplies, filtering devices, and if you avoid contact with most other people, then the risk of disease may spike temporarily, but as the population eliminates itself, the risk of disease will quickly evaporate. Less people equals less disease once the first round of death and rotting is over with. Prepare to survive that first 3 months, and you'll be fine!

Dried Food
Dried is fine, but it doesn't supply any moisture, which might be important if you have a limited fresh water supply. Have some dried food, but also have some canned food on hand. It doesn't take as much room as you might think. I have a 3 month supply of food that will feed 4 adults. It is stored in a homemade cabinet that is 6 ft tall, 4 ft wide, and 2 ft deep. It is all canned goods, grains, salts, powdered milk, etc. If you shop smart, and get the things that serve multiple purposes and store for long periods of time, and then if you plan and ration intelligently, it is actually very simple and cheap to survive 3 months in your home without venturing out and drawing attention to yourself. Tuna, Salmon, Spam, Vienna Sausages, canned veggies, dry beans and rice, noodles, salt, dry milk, cocoa, sugar, spices, soups, Oatmeal, peanut butter, dried fruits, etc. Plan on living off 1200 calories per day per adult.

If you live somewhere with hard winters, plan on creating one warm spot in the home. Don't waste resources and draw attention by heating the whole place. Just heat a small area, sleep in a group, conserve your energy. Be very careful of carbon monoxide poisoning. Fires and Gas heaters are dangerous in a closed setting. It can be done safely, but it requires know-how. It would be better to heat stones and/or water/oil outdoors and then bring it in. Maximize skin contact with the others, layer the blankets and clothing around your group, and sleep this way.

You raise good points, but they aren't points that have never been thought of before. Its OUTSTANDING that you have thought of these things, now think of the solutions for your particular location and situation, and you fare much better than all of your unprepared counterparts! Don't overestimate your own abilities, just prepare for the abilities that you currently have and make adaptations where needed.
edit on 26-2-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I'm not underestimating my ability to survive because we will all try but I can tell you as soon as you turn on your generator regardless how sparingly you use it...someones coming to you and it may be someone like me who needs to take care of my family...they will either wait until it's late at night or they will attempt to take what is yours right away...consider your generator in the worst of times a grand opening light for your location

Interesting take on diseases though...didn't consider the way you described it...
edit on 26-2-2012 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I think it's wise to plan for the worst and hope for the best. I too am collecting items for survival, as I am seeing (what appears to me as) climate change happening where I live and the tides rising. But at the same time one must not get sucked into the "doom and gloom" too much because if things do suddenly go to hell, with your mind in such a dark place already you might not be able to handle it as well. I believe in staying natural and loose, take things on as they come. When it comes right down to it, strong instincts and a focussed mind will keep you alive.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I agree on the generator to a certain extent. It is great for a short-term convenience like we get for Hurricanes or some folks get for Snow storms, but if we got into a real SHTF scenario, someone would probably try to take it. Of course, it is no good anyway once you run out of fuel.

Personally, I have solar panels, and I'm working on getting full solar, but for now I have some solar and some on regular grid. The solar panels now can run the stuff in my shed, so I could easily move my refrigerator to the shed and nobody would know any better. I could also run a small a/c unit if I wanted to risk it. Don't know if I would do that or not. I don't have any traffic on my road, few neighbors, and my neighbors know me well, so the chances of anyone messing with my place would be very slim anyway. I also have a pond behind the house, with bass and bream, and I have a bunch of fruit trees and vines and bushes. I have well water, and I can rig it to not need electricity. It can easily be bicycle powered, LOL!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneCloudHopper

Well put...yes the doom and gloom is very frustrating for me..I get very upset when I see people on radio shows or on the web as respected individuals talk about the worst case scenarios and are selling some videos on the subject. As one looks closer on such websites they are selling coffee mugs, t-shirts, bumper stickers and other items...kinda takes the urgency out of the doom and gloom scenario when you are staring at a late cup for 20.00 dollars with a title of any DVD on it...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thisbseth
Huh, Well interesting indeed. honestly there should be an ATS members SHTF meet up place so when it does end we can all meet up and help each other out.

Im in rural North Dakota, moved here for that reason. 470,000 people in the whole state, wildlife out the wazoo(I count between 3 and 12-15 deer everyday driving home from work) and a type of local people that are willing to help each other out.

My best advice for survival is GET OUT OF URBAN AREAS!!!

Even if you can't up and move your family to another state or a rural area, have as you said, a "SHTF meet up place" that is in a rural area, near a water source and has some wildlife for your family and/or friends to meet at. It doesnt have to be deer or large game, there are always no less than 6 rat and mouse traps in my BoB. they make great snare sets and can also catch a cat, possum, squirrel, groundhog, etc. I have evn caught pheasant in them with some sunflower seeds for bait. Just make sure you teather them off with some good 20lb braided fishing line.

If you have access to firearms then practice shooting now, get your skill up so when, not if TSHTF you are proficient and will not waste ammo. If you don't own a gun or can't own one (2nd amendment?????) then invest in a bow of decent draw weight. The key is not to have to defend yourself from others, if you are having to do that then your chances of survival have just been diminished by 10 fold. The purpose of a gun or bow is for procurement of food and as a last resort for defense.

Above all of this, the number one thing to do to prepare for surviving at the end of (insert scenario) is to prepare your mindset to be able to handle the fact that you may have to go back to living the way our great grandparents did, or even to the way the pre-columbian native Americans did.

Of all things that you can prepare and have waiting, a good level head and the ability to think rationally while under pressure is the one thing you can't survive without.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
despite all of your arguments, they hold little merit for a well prepared survivalist. I am prepared for what ever may come shelter wise, food wise and protection wise. I have made sure that I can survive so my two children will survive. As a Marine I have trained in NBC decontamination, defense and any number of other tactical situations. We will survive a disaster whether man made or natural as long as it is short of a total world destroying disaster and we will because I have made sure we will.

Most of human kind will not because of the very things you listed in the start of this post, and that is the truth. Probably 80-90% will die off if it is a really big disaster due to disease and infections, lack of medical gear and care. I see your point and a lot of people ae just sitting around saying why should I even try, those people are already dead, and more power to them, they have the right to do exactly nothing just like I have the right to do everything in my power to survive.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Good point. A lot of money in fear.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join