It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thy Will Be Done

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
This pertains to christian theology.

Does God have a master plan or is it up to randomness to play out?

If God has a plan, then why do people pray for change in their life? Do they want God to change his plans?

If God lets free will(randomness) play out, does that mean he relinquishes control over the world? Then it would be useless to pray then. If everything is free will then you don't have to pray, you just have to do.

When it says "thy will be done", how is that meant?

Are natural disasters, war, famine, sickness, and mental suffering part of god's will?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy

Are natural disasters, war, famine, sickness, and mental suffering part of god's will?

If that notion brings you comfort then it can be, although, I don't see how that could bring anyone comfort.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Maybe it's as simple as....God can't make up his mind....

Des

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

In my opinion, religous theologists are not true to the word of "God" because they, by nature, question the word of "God." They try to get to the bottom of things.

I've been told that a true Christian doesn't question the word of "God". They don't question why things happen. That's where faith comes in at and that's basically what that saying "They will be done" is all about IMO. Whatever the will of God may be, that's the way it is.

If something or someone that God created causes suffering, then it's God' s will. Why? No one will ever know until they die. And ONLY then will they even find out if "God" even exists in the first place.

That's basically my take on it all. I try to do the right thing every day simply becasue it's the right thing to do. I don't do good things because I'm afraid of going to hell if I don't. I don't have to be scared into being a good person. That just seems really silly to me.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

It appears to me God is hoping everyone will get on board and live in a peaceful world without strife and hardship where people watch out for one another and live in harmony and peace all the rest of their days.

You say "thy kingdom come" and that is the fantasy land I am speaking about and it is clear this is the will that should be done.

And it is followed by "on Earth, as it is in heaven"

Which gives you the idea that God (and a posse of some sort) came from somewhere outside of this planet. Wherever they hail from, life is apparently much like a paradise of peace and love. I am guessing he was hoping to establish just such a loving community here. So much for plans.

He just sort of said it and left though so, we really have no idea what the hell he meant.
edit on 26-2-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Goods questions.

The only masterplan i know of is revelations.

If God has a plan, then why do people pray for change in their life? Do they want God to change his plans?

Why do they indeed?

If God lets free will(randomness) play out, does that mean he relinquishes control over the world? Then it would be useless to pray then. If everything is free will then you don't have to pray, you just have to do.

If i knew you were planning to rob a bank did i make you rob that bank? If i told you that you were gonna die in a car crash today would you go out and drive?

I have no idea what that means maybe someone else can tell you.

With all this talk about HAARP and apparent satelites that can control weather are these disasters natural?

Famine? Did you know the cannabis plant is one of the easiest plants to grow and apparently the seeds are very very high in protein's and other amino acids. Oh wait it cant be used because every single country has made it illegal.

Sickness? Isnt sickness the #1 cashcow? Are goverment throws us chemotherapy for cancer which was a form of mustard gas torture Developed by nazi's. Rick simpson came up with a cure for cancer they threw him in jail.

War? Did God tell alexander great to go to war? Did he tell Bush?

Mental suffering? Arent there hundreds of studies showing that the sodium fluoride in are water supply is known to cause cancerous and mental effects? Isnt fluoride an ingrediant for sarin nerve gas? Do you think God happen to tell the nazis to experiment with it? Then im also guessing it was God's fault that he told the USA to do Operation Paperclip and bring those same torturers over to the USA?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This is a bit of a long shot and I'm new to the subject matter that I'm reading. However the line 'Thy Will Be Done', is mentioned in a book called 'Transcendental Magic, Its Doctrine and Ritual'. According to Eliphas Levi it dates back to the Kabalists. It supposedly refers to a sequence of sounds and letters that invoke change, as if a spell is being cast. However the energy to create this change comes from the understanding of how to harness the energy of the natural environment and the Astral Light to make change for the better. I feel that the reason that it was mentioned in this book is to convey that our modern day religions have links to the Ancient Mysteries and the Occult. I shall stick my head back in the book and see if I can come up with some more detail.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
This pertains to christian theology.

Yes he has a plan. He uses those disasters so mankind will seek him out and repent. War is man's creation, one of the many things influenced by Satan's interference in Eden.

Science has evolution backwards. We didn't evolve from monkies, we are devolving into monkies. When Adam was created he was the most genetically superior and advanced human to ever exist then or now. Adam's genes were so pure that even after he fell from grace he lived 930 years. As sin began to take it's toll, mankind's longevity began to shorten with each generation. When men once lived nearly a thousand years we can barely make it 60-80 years in most cases.

Modern Men are the degenerates. We are devolving from Man into Monkey with shorter lives, more aggression and more warlike. Sin stacks up as we fall farther from our maker with each passing minute. We, are the degenerates. Mankind is growing weaker with each passing century. Without aircondition most people would die, and mankind is forgetting how to plant food and farm, trading off our heritage for technology.
edit on 27-2-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

They pray for change because they do not trust God has a plan...

How does one trust something they can't see?

I've been having these same issues actually, but im learning to trust what is in store, and it ALWAYS works out... Always!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

My friend said this once, it was a quote from, i think, St. Aquinas: "God is omniscient: He knows every single possibility of events in our life, but He knows us better than we know ourselves and knows the paths and decisions we will take." Of course I paraphrased the quote, but you get the gist of it. Like lonewolf stated, God sends trials and tribulation to open people's hearts, but in revelation it states many times that many trials and tribulations will be sent on earth, but few to none people repent.
I also believe that God wouldn't send us trials and tribulations if He knew that we couldn't handle it; i believe suicide is something that individual consistently asked for, and God let it happen.
I think when people say "Thy will be done," they are acknowledging God to do what He wills and what is pleasurable in His eyes. We have free will, but God is so omniscient that He knows us better than we know ourselves.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

God has a purpose not a plan. We have free will to decide if we are going to submit to that purpose or not, so when we pray for "thy will to be done" we are showing our support for his purposes for the earth. The eventual goal is there but our lives are not predetermined. As regards natural disasters, god does NOT cause them. The bible says that god does not try people with evil things. God has purposed to do away with such things in the future, which is part of his purpose for the earth.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Father has a set plan for everyone, down to the last details. Even the scientists who come up with break thru discoveries, that comes from him. Everything is written in each persons book and also implanted onto the tapestry.

Many pray for change because they come to the realization, they have been doing things their own way and want to get back to the path he has set. Father lets you play for a minute, before he starts throwing attention grabbers at you (loss of job, car accident, wrong bf, etc.)

The plan can be re-written. He listens to the person, and also the others who are above.

top topics

join