It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiring Excuses causing us to not go to church

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
I don't make any excuses. I'm just not going to go

Well, lol, you're already in a 'church' of sorts.

We're having 'service' right here this Sun. evening.

It's one of those services where the congregation get's to say their piece and everyone get's an equal say. Praise the lord and pass the plate....

Gotta love it. A reasonably 'free press'. At least for the time being.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I'll bite...

I think this is another veiled attempt to preach your social programming and belief system. How is making excuses to not go to church a conspiracy? Is someone subliminally telling you to not go to church? Are the chemtrails raining down a plethora of "I don't feel like going to church this fine day" chemicals? Is Nessie to blame?

I just don't see it Op. Perhaps some more scripture quotes will help me see the light

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuned Agent

LOl social programming. When was the last time you watched tv? Now thats some social programming.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
#1 reason why no one goes to church ?
They don't believe in it. No one that actually believes what the bible says would not goto church.

If I believed in it .. I would go ...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I am a Christian Deist and don't believe in organized religion

Organized religion in the US has turn from a christian religion to a bunch of A******s that use the religion to control other people out side there Church's

"Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers. It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people's business." Jesse Ventura

You may ask me what my beliefs are, but NEVER EVER try to tell me what YOU THINK my beliefs should be.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Cuz when I was 12 I went to hell for snuffin for Jesus

I'm waving automatic guns at nuns!~

But seriously, I kinda wish I believed in a God that cared about the Earth. And if there was a God that cared about us, he'd probably hate the concept of a church...Jesus definitely would. He hated the organized religion at the time. Christianity has turned into a perversion of what Jesus would have wanted it to be.
edit on 26-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Cuz when I was 12 I went to hell for snuffin for Jesus

I'm waving automatic guns at nuns!~

But seriously, I kinda wish I believed in a God that cared about the Earth. And if there was a God that cared about us, he'd probably hate the concept of a church...Jesus definitely would. He hated the organized religion at the time. Christianity has turned into a perversion of what Jesus would have wanted it to be.
edit on 26-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

A 'church' of people who really cared about each other and got along ok would be a *good* thing.I don't think "jesus' would mind at all

Yes IMo the tv 'ministers' (they know who they are) have so damaged any semblence of "christianty" from what Yeshua/Jesus stood for that it's no wonder people are leaving 'organized' Christianity.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Tecumte

Yeah maybe like 10 people getting together is a good idea. But once it becomes huge, huge things usually become corrupt due to the power and wealth they gain.

Vatican = furthest thing Jesus would have wanted

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
God is every where and sees hears every thing. So why should any one have to go into a church for? Cept to be groped and abused by some guy in a black dress.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Tecumte

Yeah maybe like 10 people getting together is a good idea. But once it becomes huge, huge things usually become corrupt due to the power and wealth they gain.

Vatican = furthest thing Jesus would have wanted

Sure, I don't disagree, but think about what it would have been like to be among the 5000 or so souls sitting on the mountain listening to great prophetic teacher stir the crowd or perhaps to hear him speak in these surroundings: (a resposted link in case anyone missed it):

Any large group can be come corrupted and comprimised but I'm not so sure it's inevitable at least on a personal level.

www.pbs.org...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

How about:

"They have no evidence that their God is real!" as a complaint?

I guarantee if I, as an atheist, show up and began demanding that they back-up what their saying with something other than blind faith, logical fallacies, anecdotes and emotional appeals they won't want me going to their church. I'd be accused of being closed-minded just for asking perfectly reasonable questions and not bending to their spoon-feeding indoctrination.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Religion, including Christianity, is mind control. Might of not started out that way, we don't really know anything about Jesus, but there is no doubt that is what it has become.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by yougetwhatyoudeserve
I don't want to go to church because I strongly believe that Christianity is a false teaching and religion based on wrong interpetations and also because there is a load of ignorance about the gnostic roots of Christianity.

edit on 26-2-2012 by yougetwhatyoudeserve because: (no reason given)

I read a post the other day by a man who said he spent decades researching into things that regular religion doesn't teach. He read the Nag Hamedi. Or Hag Namedi. I don't know. But I guess that's the collection of Gnostic Gospels. He read the Dead Sea Scrolls. He read it all. And he said after he went through all that, he realized it all came back to the Bible, the truths in the Bible. So I figured I would let him have done it for me. Save me the time and trouble because I don't like to read that much anyway.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
well I just joined a Church because I just joined Jesus Christ

the whole time I wasn't a Christian I didn't go to church

Jesus went daily to the temple in Jerusalem following his example and command I go to church

and I'm happy for that .

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Acts 7:48

However, the Most High does not live in houses made by human hands.

Acts 17:24-25

The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else.

How I practice my faith:

2 Corinthians 9:7

Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

John 13:34-35

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.

And some good Thomas Paine for kicks.

My own mind is my own church.

I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by imherejusttoread

Acts 7:48

However, the Most High does not live in houses made by human hands.

Acts 17:24-25

The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else.

How I practice my faith:

2 Corinthians 9:7

Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

John 13:34-35

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.

And some good Thomas Paine for kicks.

My own mind is my own church.

I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.

I see a fellow Deist or Christian Deist in you whether you know it or not.

By the way Thomas Paine was a well know Deist

I also see a lot of Deist posting on this thread whether they know it or will ever discover it is to be seen.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hillarie

Originally posted by yougetwhatyoudeserve
I don't want to go to church because I strongly believe that Christianity is a false teaching and religion based on wrong interpetations and also because there is a load of ignorance about the gnostic roots of Christianity.

edit on 26-2-2012 by yougetwhatyoudeserve because: (no reason given)

I read a post the other day by a man who said he spent decades researching into things that regular religion doesn't teach. He read the Nag Hamedi. Or Hag Namedi. I don't know. But I guess that's the collection of Gnostic Gospels. He read the Dead Sea Scrolls. He read it all. And he said after he went through all that, he realized it all came back to the Bible, the truths in the Bible. So I figured I would let him have done it for me. Save me the time and trouble because I don't like to read that much anyway.

Well I see it as somewhat in reverse, the bible or more accurately NT is a collection of HUMAN stories and interpretations made by many after the life of The Christ figure, many IMo not very accurate and altered for political and quasi-religous reasons to create and coincide with popular mythology and control of the time.

I think to find a more pure and accurate picture of the HISTORICAL life of Yeshua we might well want to consult other writings of the time period that help us get a better picture of just what was happening at that time some 2000 years ago before the 'editors' sitting in their politically-correct councils got a hold of the texts and severely altered them to try and create a subservient neutered mythology.
edit on 27-2-2012 by Tecumte because: sp.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The main reason I have a problem with church/organized religion is because no matter how sincere a pastor or church goer might be they believe a nice building to worship in is more important than homeless people. If you took every church in the world and turned them into shelters or low income housing, you would have no homeless. Why cant religious people meet at home or at a park or any place? I believe one day God is going to ask religious people why the felt they needed a nice building to worship in, while some of their brothers and sisters lived in tents or on the street. The mega churches and healing evangelist will be especially guilty.God is going to tell them that He never required they give money to have a multi million dollar complex. God wants the "church" to feed and house the poor. People are to serve God and you dont serve God by sitting in a pew and tithing once a week for 75 years.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tecumte
Yes, I agree Jesus appears to have taken his message at times directly to the people (and it got him killed as a seditionist) and too as you say wasn't perse 'anti-community', but many of the circles he ran in too were those who physcially separated themselves form the corruption of the world and many who led monastic lives and I think there is some compelling evidence that his '40 days and nights' period in 'the wilderness' was (just one example) in general a larger metaphor to this monastic phase of his life along with myriad desert allusions to this existance we find unedited in the NT.

Interesting take on this, I hadn't considered this period in his life as much as I perhaps should've. Afterwards he went and told the good news while asking the disciples to do the same. I suppose there's something to be said about sabbaticals...no pun intended.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
That's a tough one! I guess it all depends on what you believe god is.

Is he the wrathful god as in the old testament, or is he the peaceful, loving god that Jesus talked of? There are many contradictory parts of the Bible that it is hard to interpret. I would not trust god if he was the "old testament" type.

I wonder if we can love people in slices in the same way. "Dear, I love you when you're nice, but not when you're mean. When you comply with me, but not when you disagree, when you wear the blue dress but not the red one".

If you are open to alternative theories, one may think that something like right and wrong, being instinctual, could simply be programmed into us. The Creation story in the Christian faith aligns pretty well with much older civilizations such as the Sumerians and possibly Egypt.

In the case of the Sumerians, they talked about the DNA of the "gods" themselves (created in his image) being used in our eventual creation. Is right and wrong simply something that is part of who we are, even though we have a tendency to stray?

Whether physical or metaphysical, I'd say yes.

Therefore, if we were created in their image, could we not say that we are ourselves gods and there is no need to look elsewhere other than ourselves to find the real word of god?

We're not gods, we die and cannot save ourselves from death, nor had we created the universe.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join