It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiring Excuses causing us to not go to church

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
We've all heard those cliche' statements society throws our way to keep us from visiting. Candidly I visited a number of churches over my lifetime before settling into the one I was meant to be in. We like to latch onto the phrases we feel 'work', speaking from my own experience of making these excuses. Sayings like:

"Church is filled with a bunch of hypocrites"
"All they care about is your money"
"I'm not sure I believe everything you believe"
"If you knew me...and what I've done...you wouldn't want me"
"I can't come to church until I get my life together"
"Church makes me nervous"
"Is there some kind of dress code?"

2 minute video that begins to address some of these:

The video doesn't detail all concerns or reasons, nor do I think it's meant to, but if you have any concerns about going to a church that's not here or feel is unaddressed, I'd like to invite you to send me a message here on ATS. I'm not out to persuade anyone, I get no 'points' for any of this, but would like to offer a few ideas for consideration.

To clarify, I'm not plugging a particular church organization, but rather asking our lethargic ATS audience to extend the bravery of visiting a few churches in their area to see what a difference they can make in a charitable, Bible teaching, and community building church.

Finally, to those who are unable to leave the house due to the physical inability, I'd like to extend the invitation to stop by my church by clicking here: Glasgow Church . The live broadcast begins at 10:30am Sundays or you can watch previous sermons anytime you like. All the best and God bless, see you in church.
edit on 26-2-2012 by saint4God because: Grammar, added a few points

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I'm sorry

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I don't want to go to church because I strongly believe that Christianity is a false teaching and religion based on wrong interpetations and also because there is a load of ignorance about the gnostic roots of Christianity.

edit on 26-2-2012 by yougetwhatyoudeserve because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by yougetwhatyoudeserve
I don't want to go to church because I strongly believe that Christianity is a false teaching and religion based on wrong interpetations and ignorance about the gnostic roots Christianity has.

Now this is a reason I can relate to. I'm not sure if there's a church out there that can provide the individual research needed to answer this question but perhaps you'd meet a person or few there who has had the same concern. What I'd do is ask if you're interested, to message me so I can answer questions like how you've come to this conclusion if you're truly interested in exploring the topic. For me, I had to address this concern before going to church, although I know others that had come to know God by going to church.
edit on 26-2-2012 by saint4God because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Great idea for a thread! I think we've all been there.

The Church is a hospital for sinners, Christ is the Great Physician, and Communion is the medicine for what ails us.

Lent is the perfect time to go back to church. Come and see!

edit on 26-2-2012 by LeSigh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

I don't want to go to church because I strongly believe that Christianity is a false teaching and religion based on wrong interpetations and ignorance about the gnostic roots Christianity has.

Now this is a reason I can relate to. I'm not sure if there's a church out there that can provide the individual research needed to answer this question but perhaps you'd meet a person or few there who has had the same concern. What I'd do is ask if you're interested, to message me so I can answer questions like how you've come to this conclusion if you're truly interested in exploring the topic. For me, I had to address this concern before going to church, although I know others that had come to know God by going to church.

Im not intrested in going to a christian church because I don't accept JC as the messiah. Also I know the birth and history of the christian religon and how it developed over time very well to say that it is INDEED a false religion.

It was nothing more than a Gnostic cult/sekt, just the same story with the (less powerfull) sekts/cults you have today.
edit on 26-2-2012 by yougetwhatyoudeserve because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I was raised by a devout Christian woman, and it was her faith that kept her strong in all the bad times of her life. The church she attended was very community-minded and played a huge role in our lives.

But as I grew older and began to observe other people, churches and their practices, I noticed how most churches are not like the church I knew.

Many churches do not revolve around the teaching of the word of god. Instead, they are institutions that breed socio-economic warfare between members and guilt for being sinners.

If you look at most churches it seems like people compete to have the best suits, best seats up front of the church, nicest car and a bigger chunk of cash to put in the offering plate. It's a popularity contest for the most part.

In fact, my Mother was shunned by a church for not giving enough money each Sunday, and all she needed was some spiritual support to get through a rough time.

I know that not all churches are like that, but it is a common theme among many.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
Many churches do not revolve around the teaching of the word of god.

To this I implore...FLEE!

In fact, my Mother was shunned by a church for not giving enough money each Sunday, and all she needed was some spiritual support to get through a rough time.

Both believer and non-believer would side with you in saying this is wrong.

I know that not all churches are like that, but it is a common theme among many.

Each church (as is with individuals or any organization) has a choice. Either side with the Word of God, or do not. If a person is having difficulty discerning which is which, we have both the written text and online version: www.biblegateway.com... . Additionally, I'd be glad to help discuss either. Sometimes it takes visiting more than one place to find it. If I was unsure of the church's teachings, I would not give. Call me a skeptic (on ATS? *gasp*) but I like to see the quarterly report and know where the money is going. Yes, it diminishes my faith in exchange for assurance, but it also gives me peace of mind. Selfish, I know, but I'm working on that.
edit on 26-2-2012 by saint4God because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The main reason I don't go to church is because the bible is not the word of god. It is the word of man and I'm not about to base my entire life around it and shun other wisdom that contradicts the bible. I would not sit and listen week after week to any group that only studies one book. That is a cult. Real God never wrote a book. Real God is everything that exists and Jesus is a blasphemy to the Real God. Worship of a man. Worship of the creation instead of the prime source of all that is.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Why should I go to church? What is there for me, that I can't get to, or find, on my own?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
i'll go to church when they get a smokin' section

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

I think finding a community one could join based around the Essene and Therapute precepts of mercy, compassion, forgivenesss and healing as taught by Yeshua might well be a very welcome endeavor, if such a thing existed today.

But it is easy to see why so many people who seek 'truth' (even as imperfect as they are) could find no home in todays modern so called 'chuches' which bear about as much similarity with what Yeshua actually taught and lived as does a Chistmas tree and Christmas shopping spree with a day allegedly honoring this prophet's birth.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Here's my excuse.

I randomly attend a Baptist Church close to my house, and anytime I get some good fortune I try to tithe, but I can never become a member of the church, because I do not want to become a "Christian." I do not believe all of the things in the Bible, and I do not believe Christ is the 'only' way to the Father.

So, I'm left with somewhat of a dilemma. There are no other decent churches in my area that interest me. There is a Bahi'a Temple way, way across town, and it sounds interesting, but it is just too far away. I used to visit a Shambhala Meditation center pretty close to my work, and I used to go there for noon time meditations, nothing stopping me from still doing that, just been lazy lately.

I am really started to think I should start my own church with my own philosophies. I may start with a google group and a weekly discussion session and see where it heads. I believe in "Natural Law" combined with the commonalities of all the major religions teaching how to live civilly and peacefully with our neighbors, and with the commonalities of all the major religion's teachings on how to live in moderation. Combine those commonalities with the teachings of Freemasonry and the readily apparent laws of nature, and we have a pretty good start on a Religion that actually makes sense and fits into the bigger picture!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Try Shepherds Chapel , Pastor Murrey teaches the bible chapter by chapter and verse by verse bringing everything back to its original language were it need be . He know the bible off the top of his head in its original languages and completely understands how the languages applied to the meaning of that time with respect to today.

For instance the saying by Jesus that it will be easier for a rich man to pass thru the eye of a needle than to enter the gates of heaven.

The main gate of a city was shut at night and the small gate next to it was called the needle gate , a rich man would have a camel loaded with goods and would have to dismount to unload the camel and have the camel crawl on its knees to get thru the gate . He would. Then have to go back out to get his belongings to enter back thru the gate , his belongings could be gone from thiefs or he may not renter after leaving many things to ponder .

Anyway the bible is very deep when you study it with the proper knowledge and guidance from the Holy Spirit. Peace

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
An example of an early 'church' community along the lines of the Jewish 'separatists' such as the Essenes (and Yeshua/Jesus) that rejected the hypocracy and corruption of both Rome and their own 'men of authority' that set up their own separate communities, away from "The World', 'outcasts' with many residing near the banks of the Dead Sea and Jordan River.

How do modern day 'churches' compare???

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact

When I was young you could smoke in church . Their are a lot worse things than smoking .

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Either side with the Word of God, or do not.

This is where my issues stem from. What is the word of god? For someone such as myself that believes there is enough evidence to suggest that the "word of god" is nothing more than the dictates of Man, I find it hard what to believe is god's word, and what is not.

But I also believe in the underlying message that it teaches when the word is not clouded by Man's rhetoric. Including honesty, kindness, good will, community and spirituality....just to name a few examples.

If I wanted to find a place of worship that taught that, I could pick any religion I wanted and still get that. It is a basic tenant of human deceny, so why do I need a church at all?

Living live according to basic principles would make all of us one step closer to what Jesus really taught. Not this politicized version we get today.

Thanks for the discussion!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Demoncreeper
Why should I go to church? What is there for me, that I can't get to, or find, on my own?

This is a very good question and I offer two answers:

1.) To provide another avenue in augmenting your personal relationship with God, gain knowledge, enjoy singing and group prayer. Being the individuals that we are, there's only so much we can teach ourselves. Often it helps hearing another paradigm on who God is and what He is doing from a pastor and other church attendees.

2.) The opportunity to serve others. This can be as simple as sharing joys, sorrows, providing comfort or understanding or as complex as getting involved in activities such as distributing food to the needy or participating in classes such as marriage counseling (for example).

Surely these are things you could do on your own, just as a farmer can plow a field with a garden spade instead of a plow.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact

There's church in a bar if you live in Fort Worth Texas:

Church in a Bar: Why Even the Darkest Spaces Can Be Sacred

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tecumte
I think finding a community one could join based around the Essene and Therapute precepts of mercy, compassion, forgivenesss and healing as taught by Yeshua might well be a very welcome endeavor, if such a thing existed today.

I could testify of at least four places, but would agree that not all places do.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join