It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P. Diddy proclaims "black power" on national TV. Was it racist?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I would like to say "white power"! Power to all my white people.

See, not so bad, is it?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
its not racist or a double standard get over it.... white power is a statement of hate, black power is a statement of unity.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I agree with most of what you said. It makes sense.

Racism in all forms will never totally cease. Hopefully, it'll continue to lessen with each coming generation.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The problem is he concentrates more on Power than he does on Intellect.
He's only saying that because other races are starting to excel in basketball and he is worried for his peeps.
In the end, it will depend on viewership and when his endeavor fails he will blame whitie.
That's usually how it works.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dayve
its not racist or a double standard get over it.... white power is a statement of hate, black power is a statement of unity.

LOL - No, you get over it. Sucks to you that people are FINALLY coming to their senses over this double standard crap.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

Black power was a statement of unity decades ago when black people didn't have certain privileges. Now a days, blacks have all the privileges and more. SO, black power doesn't hold the same meaning now as it did 50 years ago.l

I don't get bonus points on a civil service test. I can't get a free ride to college or get into colleges easier when I have #ty grades in school because I am white.

White power, all my white people must stick together and fight this inequality. White power now means the same as black power did 50 years ago.
edit on 26-2-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Look at my last post on the page before this one, the statement i said then holds true to you too.
Black Power no longer holds the same meaning it used too, and in this day and age is very much a racist statement, and should be halt as such...

edit on 26-2-2012 by mcdgray129 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Kind of like the Rebel Flag. It doesn't mean the same thing now as it did when racist whites took it over.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

...Which is exactly why "Black Power" that promotes unity is not racist...while "White Power" that promotes supremecy is. I'm going to have to laugh in your face if you honestly think "Black Power" means that they want to take over the country and suppress whites.

Here is some education for you…

The slogan “Black Power” was attributed to Stokely Carmichael a West-Indian-born civil-rights activist, leader of black nationalism in the United States in the 1960s.

In 1966 a march in Mississippi he rallied demonstrators in founding the “black power” movement, which espoused self-defense tactics, self-determination, political and economic power, and racial pride.

He was also a leader of the black nationalism movement.

The historical roots of black nationalism can be traced back to nineteenth-century African-American leaders such as abolitionist Martin Delany, who advocated the emigration of northern free blacks to Africa, where they would settle and assist native Africans in nation-building. Delany believed that this development would also uplift the status and condition of African Americans who remained, calling them ‘‘a nation within a nation … really a broken people’’ (Painter, ‘‘Martin R. Delany’’).

Reading that description doesn’t bring racial unity to mind it indicates the desire to have a separate to quote “nation within a nation”. It doesn’t imply the racial superiority of blacks per se but it certainly indicates a strong desire to live outside the confines of the normal American culture, rules, laws and norms.

I can only take that to mean not subject to the authority of “white” people or a “white society.

That in itself implies a certain sense of superiority IMO.

So to close – it seems that the slogan “Black Power” doesn’t represent as you say “the desire to take over the country and suppress whites” but rather to make a separate “nation within a nation with separate rules and laws governed only by blacks…

Further, the movement advocated achieving of their goals above though violence and revolution if necessary which is why it was all but rejected by moderate blacks and remained a fringe movement as it's goals and ideals were detrimental to the civil-rights cause.

This movement was in opposition to M.L King's ideology of nonviolence and racial integration – it was in fact for separation of the races.

Racism is racism regardless of the minority status of its originator.

edit on 26/2/2012 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by martianmallow
P. Diddy proclaims "black power" on national TV. Was it racist?

If you were a "white" person and said "white power" and made the same hand/arm gesture he did, you would be labelled a NAZI and white supremist.

So yes, it's fair to call Mr. Diddy a racist.

I love how everyone is cheering.... I bet if he were white the place would have gone dead silent.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by Hellas

Support each other for what?? I don't see anybody having humans as slaves. So who exactly needs support here? History?

I'm going to support my brother, because back then some people I don't even know were slaves..

So according to that logic, native americans should burn down your houses then.

6 generations ago, slavery was common place. 2 generations ago, black people couldn't vote, couldn't use the same bathroom, eat at the same restaurant, or generally have equal rights.

But you are going to go ahead and claim that it is ancient history...and no one today should be affected by over 200 years of systematic suppression???

To me...that is ignorance to an unimaginable level.

And no...according to that logic...it doesn't make a logical leap into burning down houses. If you would say that native americans should band together and support each other...then yes...I would say they should...following my logic.

The thing is things can change dramatically in the span of a single generation. I come from an ethnic group that was heavily discriminated against for ages and i dont have a chip on my shoulder over it because it simply doesn't affect me no matter how i want to rationalize it.

Further the whole ethnic unity/power mumbo jumbo often leads people into a pack mentality and ironically holds them down because they often are forced into accepting a strict guideline of conduct in order to be "real" irish or black or asian etc,etc. . I've seen first hand how this stifles the individuals life and progress in various aspects

..We need to do away with any type of ethnic unity all together . We should only band together over similar philosophies and goals not race or gender or whatever other silliness.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Sean Combs - Puffy Daddy - P. Diddy

Nuff said.

[THREAD CLOSED]

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It's the 21st Century now, people need to lose the chips on there shoulders, and move on.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Money, Money and Money. The sooner people realise the rich will say anything to keep raking it in the better. Look at succesful rappers for a start, they will promote killing when they have never even been in a fight, if people are stupid enough to buy then someone will be selling.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcdgray129

Look at my last post on the page before this one, the statement i said then holds true to you too.
Black Power no longer holds the same meaning it used too, and in this day and age is very much a racist statement, and should be halt as such...

And you would know that because your black? I've never rolled around yelling racial slurs at white people screaming black power, and ive never heard of it happening on a daily basis. But i have on more than enough occasions been yelled the N word out of a truck full of white people, they scream "White power" the only thing i could do was wish they would be dumb enough to stop. But hold it to all of you experts on here that know the difference between white power, brown pride, and black power..... IDK why white people are on this thread anyways its not about you. If you want a online race war, you have fun arguing by yourself.

edit on 26-2-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcdgray129

Says you, you can't speak for anyone but yourself and yet you're making a statement of how black people think? My attitude is if you want to say white power then say it, it don't make me any difference same as me saying black power. The people making the biggest stink about "white power being said are not black people it's white folks finding it offensive.
edit on 26-2-2012 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
reply to post by dayve

If you are bigoted, which you clearly are, run along there bigot

Yea im a bigot.... Black people say black power to other black people. White people say white power to blacks and beyond.... Now you see people bringing up affirmative action like it REALLY makes a difference. I dont even feel like finishing my point, I'll just be a bigot. Sorry we make your life so ruff... Since your the one who gets sh*t because of their race....

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join