It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P. Diddy proclaims "black power" on national TV. Was it racist?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by wigit

It's about power relationships. I don't agree with what diddy said , but there is a difference between black and white racism and it is based on the power relationships in our societies.

Last time I checked the President of the United States was Black! What power relations? I think with that, even the last card is played. Move on.
edit on 26-2-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I see nothing wrong with any group banding together to help each other out. It is easier to find comfort in "sameness"

However, it seems like you are saying people should be able to band together to help each other out, "except" white people.

There is NO difference between white power, black power, or any other power. It is a rallying cry for one group over another.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

There is NO difference between white power, black power, or any other power. It is a rallying cry for one group over another.

Except there is a difference.

I'm amazed people can't see it. People who have been suppressed and wanting to band together to rise up out of that suppression is simply not the same as people wanting to band together to continue the suppresssion.

How do you not see this?

However, it seems like you are saying people should be able to band together to help each other out, "except" white people.

White people have been helping each other out for centuries. They continue to do so. I have no problem with that at all. Why do you have a problem with black people wanting to leverage that as well?
edit on 26-2-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

talk absoloute and utter faeces.

Both black and white power have been used in negative and positive manners depending on who is using them, but for you to make a "black and white" distinction, one is automatically good and positive the other is automatically bad and negative is pathetic

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Could care less that he said black power, all the power to them.

Just don't act all upset when I chose to say white power, that has nothing to do with suppressing anyone. Nothing wrong in being proud of being white.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Except there is a difference.

in your groupthink mind there is

I'm amazed people can't see it.

thankfully not all of us indulge in group think behaviour

People who have been suppressed and wanting to band together to rise up out of that suppression is simply not the same as people wanting to band together to continue the suppresssion.

P Diddy is immensely more powerful and rich than some dirt poor unemployed white bloke in Virginia, it is total BS to somehow infantalise all blacks as one victimised group and all whites as superior oppressors.

Plus it is racist.

Group think behaviour like thi is what is wrong with the world, you are putty in the hands of those who use groups for power and control

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The UNCF and NAACP are two organizations that claim to stand in unity for the African-American. They do help in many ways to overcome the burdens faced by many minorities in america. I have donated both time and money to both of these causes. If they changed thier slogan to "black power", I would have nothing to do with them.

The sins of the past cannot be changed by giving the proclaimed underdog the upperhand.

I cannot wrap my head around how "black power" means unity and "white power" means racism. If this is your view I understand that, I just cannot for the life of me understand the concept.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
All of you can disagree all you want.

You go ahead and say White Power somewhere and see how society reacts. They will react negatively because there IS a difference.

The neo-nazi party doesn't have White Power as their slogan to promote unity.

The sooner you stop lying to yourselves, the sooner your "anger" over this issue will fade. Accept the fact that there are differences and that history plays a huge role in those differences.

Or...just keep pretending that white people are the victim

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The new politically correct term is Beige American now.There are too many negative connotations associated with the term "White Person".To name a few Nazis, American ethnic cleansing,the Inquisition,lethally inept leaders and WMDs.So If anyone would now start to address me in these terms that would be appropriate

Seriously though Jerks have all kinds of shades of flesh money make them worse.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

I cannot wrap my head around how "black power" means unity and "white power" means racism. If this is your view I understand that, I just cannot for the life of me understand the concept.

All you have to do is look at how the two phrases came into being.

Black power was a call for unity.

White power was a call to oppose that unity, and any other unity of minorities. It was a call to retain their superiority and oppression of others.

It's quite simple really...not all things are equal...words and phrases included.
edit on 26-2-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This thread is proof that racism is certainly not dead in America.

Look at all the anger coming from black people wanting to unite and help each other succeed. If you aren't racist...you should see this as a good thing...if you are racist...well...I think we have seen plenty of examples of twisted logic in this thread to justify anger towards blacks wanting to better themselves.

I think we even had a veiled claim that racism is dead because Obama is president...because we have seen how much respect as president he has recieved.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

A clear example of "poisoning the well" thinking. If I agree that black power is a call for unity I am OK, but if I think black power is wrong I am a racist.

Wanting equality across the board is not racist. Wanting one group to have more rights than others is racist.

Anything, anything at all, that promotes one race over another is racist. It doesn't matter if it originates from a white, black, brown, red, yellow, or purple person.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I don't think anyone here has indicated that they perceive "white people" as victims of anything other than a double standard in media outrage in the careless use of racial epithets.

I do not believe two wrongs make a right either. Stating that minority racism is ok because they are minorities or were at some point legitimate victims of institutionalized racism in our society is no different in my mind than what my daughter used to say when she was 6 when she got in trouble...(Thankfully she has outgrown this practice – most people never do.)

“But Timmy or Sally did (insert perceived injustice or worse infraction here).”

When stated as a defense of an action the supposed worse actions of another in the past are irrelevant and do not absolve a person or group for their actions in the present - wrong is wrong.

Finally, I agree that neo-Nazi’s shouting “white power” is not for the purpose of promoting unity in the sense of unifying all people. It’s to assert that white people are inherently superior in some way to all others.

Are you claiming that the recitation of “black power” serves to unify the different races?

I think it is divisive.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Let me guess who is on the board of directors;
Al Sharpton (I will refer to him as Rev when I see him in a church)
Jesse Jackson. (again I will refer to him as Rev when he pays taxes and I see him in a church)
Rev Jeremiah Wright
Rev Louis Farrakhan
Eric Holder
Michelle Obama "First time in my life I am Proud of America"
Bill Maher "Rippng on Whitey makes me look funny and cool."
The ACLU
Judge Mark Martin (newly hired after his recent ruling from the Pennsylvania bench)

Security provided by The Black Panthers

Sorry folks reverse racism is alive and well.
www.loompanics.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Of course no one remembers the original slaves of the world. White Irish people. They had it way worse then black people. You don't see them still complaining about it. www.africaresource.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
Diddy never had rap creditably. I don't think you know much about the guy.

He never wrote anything, he doesn't rap that good at all and he made it there due to being a big drug dealer.
I have no idea how could people like him, oh and it seems he's also a double standard racist.

He also ruined Diddy Kong's name.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Look at all the anger coming from black people wanting to unite and help each other succeed.

Well that's how the jews did it. They united and helped only each other while spiting on almost everyone that wasn't a jew. Anyone willing to help solely their own race is racist.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Racism is not dead in the U.k either in fact we are in the middle of two big sport superstars been caught up in it...

on a personal note i hear, and receive it almost on a weekly basis wherever i work in-fact i had an argument with a guy i work with last week, we was arguing about racism he said if he called me a black bastard/'n-word'/negro, that would be like me calling him a bald bastard or a fat bastard ( racism is about race )

when i argued how would it possible be the same he then said well i wouldnt be upset if u called me a white bastard to which i replied when would that ever come out of my mouth, been mixed race i can say for certain lol i would never disrespect my mother like that

but yeah its not dead and buried at all its shocking and upsetting when i hear it, but your right most white people think its non - existent and it should just be forgotten it was only back in my grandfathers day that he couldn't work, or even been seen with a white woman and was attacked regular, until he became a boxer and then these bullies suddenly wanted to be his friend fear i guess..........

and thats why i think it still exists because people live in fear.....

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Look at all the anger coming from black people wanting to unite and help each other succeed. If you aren't racist...you should see this as a good thing...if you are racist...well...I think we have seen plenty of examples of twisted logic in this thread to justify anger towards blacks wanting to better themselves.

I think we even had a veiled claim that racism is dead because Obama is president...because we have seen how much respect as president he has recieved.

What a pathetic post. I guess you have no anger towards white supremacy groups wanting to better themselves. I guess bettering yourself at the sake of openly excluding other racial groups Is perfectly logical.

You know damn well that a company spokesman stating "Black Power" is not a sensible way to attract a diverse audience to your network, no more than these idiots organizing under the mantra White Power.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Well, What an asshole. He shouldnt be able to say what he said but hey-ho, the double standard at play. Ignorant - Like all racists.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join