It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P. Diddy proclaims "black power" on national TV. Was it racist?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

But you see, you clearly give an example of how wrong things are. We are two reasonable and logic persons. Other people are not.

What do you think it will be the reaction of people who still are racist towards "black power"? They will see it as a separation. I portrayed my opinion not because I'm bothered by it, but because I know to what it will lead. It will be seen as separation thing. And I'm not saying it is, I agree with you. Support groups SHOULD always exist within communities, and that actually helps people to live better within nations.

for instance, portuguese emigrants are known for keeping very well together in small communities. but that doesn't make them outkasts (no pun intended
), it makes them able to support each-other and learn and embrace the country they are in.

but then again, you don't see them making groups called "portuguese power"... You just see them hanging together and supporting each-other. Like many other separate communities within the US.

I'm all for support groups. But I think they shouldn't be labelled "black power". I think it's too risky.

You have a responsibility to your own, and that's fine. But you also have a responsibility with the message you want to put out, and the message isn't going to be seen as positive immediately. This thread is proof of that.

If this "thing" was to be called "movement for racial justice" or something along those lines, it would be completely fine by me (in my opinion, that is).

And you know what that would bring? Actual people from other "races" that would be sympathetic with the movement. Instead of being "black power" it would be "peace power", or another type of "power" that anyone could jump in an aid in the final effort: building a better society.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by goinglocodowninacapulco
reply to post by femalepharoe

I know, but it was a long time ago, why do we have to pay for other generations sins?

You don't have to "pay" for anything.

All you have to do is acknowledge it and acknowledge that 50 years of force equality does not make everyone truly "equal".

You have to not be offended when minority groups are trying to help each other out in order to succeed in this country. Don't take a phrase like "Black Power" as an insult or that black people are "trying to take over"...they are still striving to be on equal footing in this country...it's an insult to claim they are trying to take over.

50 years is not a long time...I think people like to think that civil rights was much longer ago in the past than it actually was. Everyone alive today either lived through it, had parents that lived through it, or had grandparents that lived through it.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by LightsideAssassin

First off, I agree that there is a complete seperate issue within any minority group of members of the group showing negativity to those looking to make a better life for themselves...but IMO...that is a seperate issue. But....

My people keep themselves down.

Don't you think that is a reason why something like "Black Power" to unite people and encourage people to help each other out instead of working against each other is a good thing?

What would be your solution?
edit on 27-2-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

Self-empowerment and self-esteem are the seeds that need planting, but you don't get either from P-Diddy screaming "black power" or being given the shortest month on the calendar and listing black achievement. Person to person, in the homes, parents to children, mentors to the mentored, in the schools, piece by piece. It's an internal issue that needs healing; but we've only seen external methods applied. Diddy creates music that is actually part of the problem, so he's a poor spokesman for this problem(although I do think he means well). We need to recreate the environment black America grows up in from the ground up. How? No effin idea, but, I will do what I can.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

We have a nationalistic party in my country, that goes as further as to say "kill all blacks, send all immigrants away in boats". They have the right to exist under our constitution, because we are for freedom of thought and opinion, as wrong as it may be.

You know what we did? We ignore them. We don't vote for them. We refuse their racist ideals, and we don't pay them attention when they do racist rallies.

You know what they are? Nothing.

Like I said, ignore racist people, not the racist problem.
edit on 27/2/12 by Tifozi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by goinglocodowninacapulco

I know, but it was a long time ago, why do we have to pay for other generations sins?

this is the problem I think, with white guilt.

The way it was taught - purposely by the powers that be IMO - the normal white person doesn't want to touch the issue.

when in reality; there were a great number of forward thinking white people who not only spoke out against slavery but led revolutions and helped slaves esacape.

The quakers, John Brown (who was a little crazy) and a good number of founding fathers.

There is much to be proud and ashamed of on both sides of our dysfunctional family; thats what makes America great (personal statement).

No one is asking you to "pay" for the sins of the fathers.

We simply ask that when we show up to the family renioun ; you stop grilling us about our job bagging groceries that took us 2 years to find ; when we both know your dad hooked you up with your new gig at the law firm!

...just a little compassion. you know?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by martianmallow

Its all about the race baiting from the haters, they are using the complacent and condoning demeanor of Obama to present there mental slavery of the color of a persons skin. These are the new and upcomeing Jacksons, Sharptons and Farrakans.
The only ones that will fall for this rhetoric are the black people, they always do and always will...........................time will not heal this madness, the race baiters will always be there getting of on there power from the control and manipulation of what they call, there own people.These are the true "racist".................sadly!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Battleline

i agree. countered with the race baiters on fox news.

unfortuantely , the people who agree with the race baiters on fox news are the bosses while the ones who agree with sharptons are the unemployed.

We all must see through the lies. for sure.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Ok, but times are hard at the moment for most people. I think most of us here must be in the 99% struggling. I'm white and i'm poor at the moment. I think times like these we all need to help each other out, whatever race. Believe me i wish we could all start out again equal, but until then we need to be strong together.
edit on 27-2-2012 by goinglocodowninacapulco because: bloody egit

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Well guess that makes me a 5 year old! WOOT WOOT!

That's what I tell my younger students all the time to mess with 'em- actually, I say, "I'm five and A HALF!"

(*'and a half'! lol When was the last age y'all included the 'a-half'?!*)

I think they are really pretty- plus, I love the inspiration for the design- it's a tribute to NASA- the kennedy station and in honor of the final launch.

AND THEY GLOW IN THE DARK!
WICKED NEAT

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
what would the generally feeling be if donald trump said he was going to create a new network called revolt tv and put his hand in the air and said white power.

lol theres the hypocracy

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
pdiddy is a clown - if Opera Winfrey can't build a successful tv station on cable and she generally represents middle to upper class people how is this bozo going to keep his going in da hood ? give everyone free cable access ? ha ha the circus called and it wants it's biggie smalls murdering clown back.

Word to puffy the clown people will zone out all day long and listen to your dumb # they don't want to have to pay to watch it though. Btw don't forget to actually do something for the black people that doesn't revolve around you trying to get rich and maybe they will care a little.
edit on 27-2-2012 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Me Power!

Individual Power!

Take the group mentality out of the equation, and the playing field is leveled.

The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights were written to proclaim the rights of the individual and to protect the individual from violence and the government.

"We the people" are formed of a collective of individuals, not a collective of different groups.

Screw white and black pride/power.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
racism is an easy way to divide us from what really is important. Evil, or as most on here say "the elite" "the power that be" "Satan" "illuminati" are going to continue to try and push it.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Maybe he said that because it is still black history month

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by agent00duece

Maybe he said that because it is still black history month

Haven't you heard...black history month is racist

How dare we acknowledge achievments by black Americans that have been scrubbed from our history books.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Revolution huh? Sounds like whitey put on a black face if yuh askin meh.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by darthdamo74
maybee he should have said black pride not black power as there is a big difference between the two
White Pride World Wide

Lets be honest, if your read this thread you already know if he would have said "Black Pride" criticisms would flowed from every corner on that expression.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by R3velutionR3quired

Originally posted by R3velutionR3quired
reply to post by RedParrotHead

Your dead right i mean, in 21st century america blacks are treated so badly, i mean in africa for comparisson they live like kings

OK, so your sarcasm wasn't lost on me...I never said that black people are treated "so badly" just pointing out what I believe the term "black power" means to the majority of black Americans. If you think that they are treated 100% equally by whites in general you're living in a different country than I am. I was employed by a company that did not hire black people, it was a small company and the owner stated so (in private) many times.

Now the flip side is that there are black owned companies that employ blacks only...this will probably continue for a long, long time even though it's a stupid, outdated practice.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I'm not suggesting anyone forget about it. History is one of the best teachers around.
I'm not to blame for things done before my time nor are any minorities victims of things done before they were born.
I'm suggesting we just stop with the labels and treat each other as people.
Any race-specific labels act as mental dividers between us as people and that's why I would love to see people stop using them in the present tense.
I'm not sure what you are inferring from my post - can you elaborate?

I'm not at all uncomfortable about history - I didn't make it. I'm not ignoring the fact that the US was built on the bodies of dead natives and slave labor either but I can't undo what's been done.

My bottom line is I treat everyone equally without regard to color, creed or religion. Beyond that there really isn't much else I can do. That's a beautiful thing about the internet; you can have conversations without judging others or having them judge you for appearances sake.
edit on 27-2-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Morgan Freeman has been used in posts on this thread which I found fascinating. He suggests stop talking about it, meaning racism. Nothing's solved by not talking about the ills of a nation (in this case racism). It's like mental illness, how will the mentally ill get help if they can't talk about the cause of their mental illness for fear it may implicate or upset persons (situations) that had a hand directly or indirectly in the creation of their condition? What we have here is a society that opts to medicate rather than deal with the causes of a problem. The problem remain it's just no talking about it so nothing solved.

edit on 27-2-2012 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join