It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare 6.8 magnitude quake hits siberia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

(Reuters) - A magnitude 6.8 earthquake hit 58 miles east of the Russian city of Kyzyl in the Tuva region of Siberia near the Mongolian border at an estimated depth of 33.2 miles, the U.S. Geological Survey said on Sunday.

uk.reuters.com...

Detailed report:
hisz.rsoe.hu...

I don't usually jump on these things to post a thread about; but oddly enough, i was in the back garden having a smoke after letting the cat's out this morning, and they literally went bats**t insane for a few minutes, meowing and clawing at the fence, followed by hundreds of bird's swarming overhead while making a terrible noise... as if something frightened them. This would have been just after 6:10am (GMT), and looking at this earthquake on the RSOE website, it states the quake hit at 6:17am (GMT). Coincidence?

Oddly enough, i'm in the UK... nowhere near the earthquake zone at all. But i've heard people say animals seem to be able to somewhat "feel" natural disasters such as earthquakes before they happen.

Just thought i'd post this and ask if anyone else's pets went a bit insane for a few seconds just after 6:00am (GMT) or noticed any wildlife going a bit loopy, seems to be some kind of connection. I remember last year in march as the 9.0 quake hit Japan, my cat's acted very strange during the same time-frame as the quake hit then.

Thought it was pretty odd.

edit on 26/2/2012 by InsideYourMind because: spelling

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Ummm... No kidding huh? That is interesting because I was looking at real time displays of the Seismagraphs around the world..and this one seemed to show strong all over the place. Weird thing about that... I guess some just ring the planet like a bell and some just blurp in one spot.

China sure as heck felt it.

Recent Quake Display

It looks like this Siberian one is just the largest in a series of big ones in the last 24hrs. Hmm....
edit on 26-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Bring us forth, Gargantukill the Mega Quake!

oh so it begins, oh so it begins..

I freakin love saying that.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

Zoiks! Slow down with the post-apocalyptic seismological disaster rhetoric, please!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
It looks like this Siberian one is just the largest in a series of big ones in the last 24hrs.

Its not immediately obvious to me, so you'll have to spell it out.
What, exactly, is this "series of big ones" that you speak of?

All I see is that it is the first, of one.

edit on 26-2-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Well, Taiwan and Siberia would be the two of note for size in the last 24 hours anyway. 5.9 and 6.7 respectively. Nothing record breaking...but it wasn't that long ago we went for an extended period with nothing close to the 6 range, so it's notable anyway.

There was just the thread speaking about the shaking being felt in Hawaii here recently, and appears to show on the previous 30 day display there. Again..nothing record breaking, but the overall pattern of activity does seem to be on the increase.

edit on 26-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: corrected to 6.7

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Strange how Russia isn't going with what the World Powers want and suddenly a rare Earthquake in that region!

Hmmmmmm!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You're right here Dutch Sinse Video pointing it all out.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 26-2-2012 by quedup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

6.5 Mag just happened South of Fiji

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Gog and Magog are trying to get out ? maybe yes , maybe not

2nd

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
How is this different from many other years with similar occurances? It's part of Earth's natural processes and sometimes hitting countries and people, nothing unusual.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
there was a pretty cool planetary/moon alignment last night as well. some believe this is related to quakes, others don't. personally, i do. in the last day: 6.8 Siberia, 6.1 south of Fiji Islands, 6.0 Taiwan...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Imtor

There is absolutely nothing different or unusual about the Earthquake activity take in isolation. Very good point.

Can anything be taken in isolation right now though? Think about how many 'Storms of the Century' or '500 year' weather events we've all watched in recent years. That is some calendar they're using because once every 500 years seems right PER event, but how are ALL the "500 year" events happening in the same time period?

SO it is with the quakes, I think...and why we're all keyed for it? Japan...Virginia....Colorado....Washington State...now Siberia and Taiwan. Activity is up all over and in what appear to be patterns for where and in what sequence. Ring of Fire anyone? This is ONE time where I think it's actually fair to say 'big picture' thinking is important over individual events.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by faryjay

What I find even more strange, is that RSOE EDIS is reporting 17 (yes, seventeen) 4.0 or above quakes in Russia just today. This may be nothing, but is this normal?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Because storms of the "century" happens somewhere in the world nearly daily even during normal circumstances.
It is mainly thanks to the internet that we are more aware of such weather events today.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
A 'big picture' is coming up in the near future you got that right, these anual disasters are the pre for something much larger. Where is the proof? Under your feet.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imtor
How is this different from many other years with similar occurances? It's part of Earth's natural processes and sometimes hitting countries and people, nothing unusual.

If you're referring to the thread title, that's what i seen going across twitter just before i found the reuter's report.
Several people/tweets were mentioning that is very uncommon for a ~6.8 to hit that region of siberia.

join