It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What entertainment options are there in a SHTF?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

What movie would you pick to make things better?...to send a message, so to speak. And also entertaining.

edit on 26-2-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

Dawn of the Dead. That'll keep you awake at night.

Seriously though..... "The Notebook".

Or anything by Steven King. Instead of watching "The Stand" though, I would recommend reading it. There are a lot more nuances that the movie couldn't bring out.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Tic Tac Toe
Marbles
Fetch
Spin the Stick and whoever the stick lands on, You eat them for energy

and Yatzee

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Freestyle battles while someone beat boxes

and Charades

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I have thought of this once or twice... I've got a list:
TV Shows: The Big Bang Theory
King of theHill
The Office
Dual Survival
Man vs. Wild
Survivor Man
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Beavis and Butthead
MOVIES: Zombie Land
Caddy Shack
Space Balls
Blazing Saddles (Anything by Mel Brooks)
The Hunted
All of the Old Clint Eastwood Movies
The First Three (original) Star Wars
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Office Space
Clerks I & II
The original Dawn of the Dead
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Dr. Strangelove
Alot of people would expect nothing but Survival, Survival Horror, War, or Instructional videos, but when you are trying to relax, the last thing you want is, to see it. One of the most important parts of survival is sanity. You need a temporary escape from reality. I know some would see this as a waste of time, but I think it is imperative to relax and regroup yourself every once in a while. Remember, Your greatist tool and weapon is your mind.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
First of all, when SHFT comes, we won't have time to watch movies.
Trying to survive all day will make so tired, all you'll want is sleep in a warm spot.
I wouldn't make noise or call the attention if I want to survive in such a scenario.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Wouldn't a SHTF scenario be entertaining itself?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
Plenty of opinions of what to do in a SHFT, everything from food stuffs to defense or offense. But one thing I have always thought of in such a situation is morale.

People playing musical instruments is obvious as is alcohol.

But what about movie nights?

Think about it. A generator powered one-eye to project whatever DVD you chose. The movies you chose will affect how people will see their personal situation.

What movie would you pick to make things better?...to send a message, so to speak. And also entertaining.

Hmm.. Choosing just one is difficult. In a SHTF scenario, where I had to choose a movie that would open peoples eyes and still be entertaining I would probably choose the first Matrix movie. But that's just keeping in mind the lowest common denominator. There are lots of possibilities but keeping in mind that in such a scenario there are probably loads of people with different interpretations of reality it would be best to choose a movie of a completely fictional setting so that as many as possible would be ready to receive the message instead of getting offended.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
In a true SHTF scenario I seriously doubt that entertainment is going to be that important.
Plenty of that cancer killing illegal flowering plant would help pass the time if the situation was not in it's critical stage.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
If TSHTF really happens you will have all you can do to survive.

Trust me, you will not be bored or looking for "entertainment".

When I grew up on a small farm, we were up before sunrise, fed, watered and cleaned out the barns and chicken coops, milked the cows, watered the veggies or mended fences.

We worked from sun up to past sun down and afterwards you wash up, ate supper together and talked to each other and shortly there after fell into bed dog tired and slept like a rock.

Sometimes we played poker, Kings Corners, or other card games, checkers, chess or some other game.

Movie night....................you will be busy just trying to scrounge up enough food and water, fighting off people who are now coming off their mood altering drugs and people that feel they deserve to help themselves to the food, water and shelter you prepared for.

Taking care of any animal / food stock is a 365 day a year job. Cows have to be milked twice a day (ours did anyway).

If TSHTF is a EMP you are talking probably plowing, planting and harvesting a field manually...............we had a tractor and it was still hard work. Manually,

Almost all of your time would simply be spent trying to survive, not getting killed and getting enough calories and water so that you could go on living.

The last thing you would be thinking about is which movie to watch.................dream on. The amount of energy to run a movie if you could, would probably be needed for more "useful purposes".

If the SHTF is a EMP................you may not be seeing any movies for a while.

Again, depending upon the disaster, how severe - if Yellowstone blew, ashfall could plunge us into a mini ice age - now you're talking no food, no solar energy and additional problems.

If we had what Japan had, (earthquake/multiple nuclear plant melt downs) you could probably kiss your sorry tush good bye unless you are one of the elite that has a ticket to a deep underground bunker we the common tax payer paid for.

There is power in thought.....................start thinking positive, happy, no war, no famine, no disasters.

Live each day to the fullest.
Never leave a love one with a harsh word, you never know when it might be the last time you see each other.
Forgive
Love, laugh and cherish each day you have.

Entertainment options...........................if TSHTF and I survive, I will hopefully be able to still read a couple pages of a book before going to sleep.

Maybe if TSHTF people would start to speak, really talk to each other again instead of air blow kisses and hi how are you, i'm fine chit chat.

I really don't want to think about a world without nice soap, hot showers, coffee, books, the net, central heating, my soft warm bed, the police, firemen, doctors, garbage pick up, running water, flush toilets, Shea body butter with lavender, a nice quiet, friendly neighborhood, a roof over my head keeping me dry, being able to read one of my books on my thumb drive, a nice cup of herbal tea at night and not going to bed starving.

edit on 26-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TimesUp

Well, it was just one idea, considering todays day and age. Many more ideas of entertainmet out there.

But I'm starting to wonder...How does Filet MiHuman taste?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
In a TRUE SHTF scenario, there would be no time for entertainment. I know. I've done it before for years on end. Entertainment is having the luxury of a quick, low-water bath; good sleep, and sustainable meals. There really is NO time for entertainment.

There are dozens of FREE entertainment games for children - basically word games.

Story-telling is an old past-time that's FREE and can be done while resting.

If you have time for entertainment; you're either not doing something you should be doing, OR, it's not a TRUE survival scenario.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I too grew up on a small farm while My Dad was deployed to Vietnam. Life was hard work, but we still made time for fun...usually at my Gramma's behest.

We played cards and watched home-made movies on the ol' 8mm projector.

EMP will not wipe everything out. There are plenty of things in todays age that will survive a CME or EMP blast. The question is...what will we do then.

Myself?, I plan to keep on living and that includes keeping myself entertained. I would like to include others as well.

Even though we may be going through bad times...not everything is Doooooom.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

I can see it now...teaching kids to relax...let out a half a breath and squeeeeze the trigger.

But to be truthful...who doesn't like learning how to shoot?

Even the most die hard pacifists I know love a day on the range.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
how could you all forget something as simple as playing catch with a ball? or soccer or football or something??
sports!! throw a frisbee around for an hour.

you could do that all day and stay in shape while you're doing it.

or theres this...I mean, after you're done eating it wouldn't hurt...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I always enjoy fishing, plus it's extra food! Cards. Did people forget what it was like before computers and all the gadgets? Imagination is a big bonus for recreation.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
I always enjoy fishing, plus it's extra food! Cards. Did people forget what it was like before computers and all the gadgets? Imagination is a big bonus for recreation.

Yep, I do believe that people have forgotten. Fishing was never my bag, even though I did find it relaxing. I'm more of a hunter.

But cards? That is where the good competition is at.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This is assuming that TSHTF event isn't an EMP.

If it is, good luck with your makeshift movie theatre.

If TSHTF, my personal entertainment will be killing zombies.
edit on 26-2-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
This is assuming that TSHTF event isn't an EMP.

If it is, good luck with your makeshift movie theatre.

If TSHTF, my personal entertainment will be killing zombies.
edit on 26-2-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

What is there to stop me from having a makeshift Movie theater even if a EMP or CME were to strike?

There are plenty of alternative means of energy that would allow my theater to operate. If only for two hours a week.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I have been recommending the use of WD 1 TB media hubs with redundant data setups. They are relatively cheap, can hold upwards of 200hours of movies uncompressed and can accomodate most family photos, music, techical drawings, schematics etc. You can run the unit on a low wattage inverter power, or battery pack. Best of all, they offer a good variety of output mediums for televisions and computer displays so they are ideal for the creative scavenger.

AX
FTNWO

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Good reply. The OP is dreaming. In TS really HTF, depending on what type of brown stuff we get hit with, movie night is going to be a long distant memory.

Your reply was one of the best, very realistic.

BTW; I do have a deck of cards (My Karnival Assassin skeleton ones) in my BOB.

My grand daughter has her Emily Strange Deck in her BOB.

My deck

My Grand daughter's (I also have these but she wanted mine so I had to buy her, her own deck)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join