It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Engineer Stalked Teens, Spied on Chats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

We entrust Google with our most private communications because we assume the company takes every precaution to safeguard our data. It doesn't. A Google engineer spied on four underage teens for months before the company was notified of the abuses.

David Barksdale, a 27-year-old former Google engineer, repeatedly took advantage of his position as a member of an elite technical group at the company to access users' accounts, violating the privacy of at least four minors during his employment, we've learned. Barksdale met the kids through a technology group in the Seattle area while working as a Site Reliability Engineer at Google's Kirkland, Wash. office. He was fired in July 2010 after his actions were reported to the company.

What worries me the most...

It's unclear how many accounts Barksdale inappropriately accessed while employed by Google, or if the company has conducted a thorough investigation into possible privacy abuses by other employees.

So Google cant even keep track of its own employees, and now with the new privacy update they can keep even more track of the public. I feel so much safer. Pun intended.

Source
edit on 25-2-2012 by LonelyGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LonelyGuy

yet another reason not to use google

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGuyFawkes

Someone say something?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

lol ya thats right we went there
edit on 25-2-2012 by TheGuyFawkes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I think chris hansen should have a word with google...

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

is david wilcock invited?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGuyFawkes

is david wilcock invited?

Lmao, shhhh you cant talk about that - it attracts unicorns!!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
"I feel so much safer."

We should consider any human-readable (unencrypted by us) information that we post online no different than putting it on a damn billboard.

If you don't like it, don't use these services (I have ditched Facebook, MySpace, etc.).

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
"I feel so much safer."

We should consider any human-readable (unencrypted by us) information that we post online no different than putting it on a damn billboard.

If you don't like it, don't use these services (I have ditched Facebook, MySpace, etc.).

i dont use google street view. but my house is still on it. do i have a choice? no.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Oh this is just great...I guess privacy really IS a thing of the past, no? Beginning to seriously contemplate just dropping off the grid to the fullest extent possible

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LonelyGuy

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
"I feel so much safer."

i dont use google street view. but my house is still on it. do i have a choice? no.

Well thats not really google. You see, anyone who wants can crive down your street and see your house.

You can't make it invisible.

that's just how things are, but your Email et al, well.. they're not public.

top topics

join