It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was wrong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Being a person who can have extreme ideas which lead onto extreme thinking, feelings, behavior, habits, character and place in society I am sometimes liable to be quite right , but also quite wrong.

I find it hard to say to myself "I was wrong".

In the current climate of international emotional issues I often develop strong ideas about solutions to problems and interestingly tend to favor the underdog.

A few months after the issues have settled down I realise that I was wrong i.e. the war in Libya. I felt quite strongly that the war was inappropriate and the West should not have invaded Libya. I favored Gaddafi. Now it seems that Libya is more settled?

My sixth sense or hypersensitivity usually stands me in good stead, but sometimes I should hold back and evaluate the ideas.

There is a theory that we have already created ideas several milliseconds before the ideas reach conscious thought.

In the book Blink, Gladwell describes the main subject of his book as "thin-slicing": our ability to gauge what is really important from a very narrow period of experience. In other words, this is an idea that spontaneous decisions are often as good as—or even better than—carefully planned and considered ones.

I would say that sometimes the opposite is true.

Some of the examples of Gladwell`s blink thinking is as follows:

" Gladwell tells the story of a firefighter in Cleveland who answered a routine call with his men. It was in a kitchen in the back of a one-story house in a residential neighborhood. The firefighters broke down the door, laid down their hose, and began dousing the fire with water. It should have abated, but it did not. As the fire lieutenant recalls, he suddenly thought to himself, "There's something wrong here," and he immediately ordered his men out. Moments after they fled, the floor they had been standing on collapsed. The fire had been in the basement, not the kitchen as it appeared. When asked how he knew to get out, the fireman thought it was ESP. What is interesting to Gladwell is that the fireman could not immediately explain how he knew to get out. From what Gladwell calls "the locked door" in our brains, our fireman just "blinked" and made the right decision. In fact, if the fireman had deliberated on the facts he was seeing, he would have likely lost his life and the lives of his men.

The book begins with the story of the Getty kouros, which was a statue brought to the J. Paul Getty Museum in California. It was proved by many experts to be legitimate, but when experts first looked at it, their initial responses said something was not right. For example, George Despinis, head of the Acropolis Museum in Athens, said "Anyone who has ever seen a sculpture coming out of the ground could tell that that thing has never been in the ground". However, controversy still surrounds the kouros as there is no consensus on whether it is genuine or a forgery. [2]

John Gottman is a researcher well known for his work on marital relationships. His work is explored in Blink. After analyzing a normal conversation between a husband and wife for an hour, Gottman can predict whether that couple will be married in 15 years with 95% accuracy. If he analyzes them for 2 hours, his accuracy diminishes to 90%. This is one example of when "thin slicing" works.[3]

The studies of Paul Ekman, a psychologist who created the Facial Action Coding System (FACS), indicates that a lot of “thin slicing” can be done within seconds by unconsciously analyzing a person’s fleeting look called a micro expression. Ekman claims that the face is a rich source of what is going on inside our mind and although many facial expressions can be made voluntarily, our faces are also governed by an involuntary system that automatically expresses our emotions. [4]"

I would argue that sometimes extreme blink ideas are counter-productive and lead to wrong behavior.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
No you were right the first time...We should have left Libya and Gaddafi the Hell alone.

It settled down because they have centralized bank now and there is no need to pay for an uprising.

Peace

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
you lost me when you said libia is MORE STABLE NOW do some research & dont believe the hype

new topics

join