It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frozen In Time... The ones that didn't escape

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
In 79 AD the eruption of Mount Vesuvius decimated the Ancient city of Pompeii...

IF you go to Google map you can get an idea of what happened when it erupted, surely it was an event that affected the entire world...

Pompeii was accidentally rediscovered in 1749 after being burried under 20 feet of ash almost 1700 years prior... In 1860 Giuseppe Fiorelli took charge of the excavations. He noticed the occasional space or "void" while digging had human remains within... After realizing this started poring plaster into these voids, and what he found was astounding as well as quite heart breaking.

These are "The Ones that didn't Escape"

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
what the heck that dog had a collar and what looked like a bell. wow. makes me wonder how many times different civilizations have been wiped out maybe going back into millions of years. they're has always been catastrophes and there always will be. its interesting and a little bit scary to see the position and look on their faces when they died or succumbed to the ash. think if you stayed in the city, in your home, and than there was 20ft of ash outside, there would be no escape from that. can't just climb/march out. your'e trapped and buried alive. frightening.

edit on 26-2-2012 by nrd101 because: its 20 not 17 oops

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I have always felt the same semblance of reality, who knows how many times we have wipes ourselves out as a species.

Who knows how many times we have snowballed ourselves into oblivion.

The scariest thought is, have there ever been any smart enough to build underground bunkers
and wait for the smog to clear. how are we sure we're not on the Truman Show right now....the Human Show I GET IT!!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Akragon,
Wow! Thank you for this great share! Since I was young, Pompeii has always been one of my favorite stories. That is so cool how they casted the bodies!! Forever frozen in history now! Poor stuck puppy tho :/
What a cool part of history!
Thank you for sharing Akragon!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Wow! You learn about this as a child in school, and you always knew there was massive loss of life. This video, however, really drives home the human element, seeing parents holding their children. Time travel of a sort, taking us back to the very moment of this tragedy. S&F for this. Thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Now you've got me all amp'd up to see more video.
I've seen videos about this before, but, now a revisit is very much in order.

Thank you!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I was just there in 2010 for Christmas/New Year. I stayed in Naples for 3wks. I had a great time and Pompeii was probably my favorite place that I went to. I had never been to an "ancient site" before and this was just too cool! I would really like to go back and work on the site, they are still excavating and take volunteers. If I had been there longer I would have done it for sure!

The people however that were made into statues are kind of creepy and sad too. The whole area gives off a vibe I can't explain. You are walking though this place where all these people lives were brought to a standing stop in a matter of moments. There weren't many places in and around Naples where I couldn't see Vesuvius so being right at Pompeii and seeing Vesuvius was crazy! I can only imagine what those people saw and went through, knowing they were going to die. We just walked around Pompeii all day. You could walk pretty much anywhere there, some areas were closed off because they were still excavating some areas. Other areas were being preserved and the wine fields are still being used so they were attending to them as well. It was a very neat place

Here is a view of Vesuvius from Pompeii.

Here are some pics I took. I have always wanted to make a thread on each place I went to with pictures but I just haven't had the time to go through all the pictures lol I have thousands!

This was in one of the gardens if I remember correctly

This is the Temple of Isis, Pompeii

^^^^that place was really cool. Loved the temple area.

This is inside one of the homes

The colors were amazing there! Just beautiful. I would have loved to see how the homes were back then in their prime.

The "Praying Man of Pompeii"

That was a very moving pic or image to see. His last thought was to pray

This was one of the main central parts of Pompeii.

I found out later that my suspicions of this being a restaurant/stove area were correct. This was a restaurant. These were the tables I believe. I have a picture of the brick oven as well. I have to hunt for it.

This was an area off the main street or middle of Pompeii. There are rows with fences of pottery and statues of people and or animals behind them.

This was in the garden area

This was towards the entrance

Another picture from inside a home

Pompeii was a very cool place! I also went to Vesuvius and got to the top platform where you then climb to the crater but due to the cold it was closed. I did get a lot of cool pics driving up Vesuvius. The view of Naples and the bay area beautiful. I would love to go back there one day and have more time in other parts that I enjoyed.

S&F!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I felt the worst for the dog because people chained him up and he had no choice but to stay there

The people stayed there by their own choice (I guess)? But I still feel bad for them too.

A multidisciplinary volcanological and bio-anthropological study of the eruption products and victims, merged with numerical simulations and experiments, indicate that at Vesuvius and surrounding towns heat was the main cause of death of people, previously believed to have died by ash suffocation. The results of the study, published in 2010, show that exposure to at least 250 °C hot surges at a distance of 10 kilometres from the vent was sufficient to cause instant death, even if people were sheltered within buildings.

They mostly burnt to death instantly it seems.
edit on 26-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
A very interesting subject i've just not had the time to look much into,facinating & also very sad at the same time,these people frozen in time had lives like me & you but were taken away in an instant..take a minute to think about that....

it's sad seeing those women & children huddling together trying to protect themselves,i can't imagine what was going through there minds at the time.

s+f from me,thanks for sharing

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Thank you OP !

Nice reminder of when I visited Pompeii, it was the height of summer, and really hot, the sun/heat was really intense, especially because of the ground.

The body which always stuck in my mind, and had the most impact, was the pregnant woman.

on the same day, we went to Mount Versuvio (the volcano that levelled Pompeii), and said a quick "Hi!"

Fond memories

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
There's been an argument or two over the years that there could be more and older examples of this kind of burial yet to be discovered. Locations in central/south America as well as the Asian Pacific, may have a wealth of information and history to be found someday.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by nrd101

makes me wonder how many times different civilizations have been wiped out maybe going back into millions of years. they're has always been catastrophes and there always will be.

From the evidence we have this has not happened.

Pompeii is both an interesting and a sad place. It is hope as we explore further we'll find more ancient places that were destroyed/preserved in the same way as the wealth of knowledge is greatest in such places 'frozen in time'.

Afragola was a bronze age village that was also destroyed (much earlier) by the same volcano

Earlier buried village

Afragola is an Early Bronze Age village (Palma Campania period) in what is today Italy, that was damaged by an eruption of Mount Vesuvius ~3945 ± 10 cal BP (1995 ± 10 cal BC). The village lay in the Campanian plain of southwestern Italy, about 1000 meters from the ancient river Clanis, about 14 km northwest of Vesuvius, on the other side of the volcano from the Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum, destroyed some 1,700 years later

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Hi madcat, you ever look into the wicked lifestyles of the Pompeii people just before the disaster? They were doing all kinds of perverse and creepy stuff to say the least. Almost similar to Sodom and Gomorrah,,,,,,,

Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. America is doing the same things as both of the mentioned cultures as of today too!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sykonot

Pompei has nothing to do with us wiping ourselves out as a species, it's a tiny bit of land affected by a large natural disaster. There is no evidence for what you suggest, and this does not support that theory.

It is something that makes you think though, I can't imagine what went through their minds.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by KJV1611
reply to post by Akragon

Hi madcat, you ever look into the wicked lifestyles of the Pompeii people just before the disaster? They were doing all kinds of perverse and creepy stuff to say the least. Almost similar to Sodom and Gomorrah,,,,,,,

Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. America is doing the same things as both of the mentioned cultures as of today too!

Wicked to your perceptions perhaps but not to them nor their gods. So this god of yours kills people, to include 3 year olds who have never heard of (I presume you are Christian from your icon) of your god or his 'rules'?

Mean guy, lol

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Yes, my God does kill people. Billions of them. And there is nothing anyone can do to stop it either. So if I was you, I would make sure I was on the right side of God's anger and wrath when He returns. Your opinions on whether God is mean/nice don't matter at all in the equation. What matters is God will have His way regardless of the amount of people that stand in front of Him. (Zeph 3:8)

Be sure you are in the family of God....and not His enemy. It is a fearful thing to fall into the Hands of my Anger God. And He has every right in the universe to be anger as well. Wouldn't you be if wicked people killed your only Son? Want to know how to be saved? Saved from what you ask? From God's fierce anger, wrath, vengeance, and Hell. You will need someone to take your worthless place come judgment time, just like in a modern day court with lawyers. My lawyer (daysman) is Jesus Christ, who will yours be? Yourself?
edit on 28-2-2012 by KJV1611 because: i can

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

yawn
edit on 28/2/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by KJV1611
reply to post by Akragon

Yes i have actually...

As a matter of fact, there is an area in pompeii that has ancient christian symbolism carved into the wall... the words carved were in greek... and they basically said... "complete distruction"... with two five pointed stars beside the words. Some people claim its evidence of Christianity... some do not.

Unfortunatly theres no way to prove they were christian symbols... they've also found a crude cross in pompeii as well... but again, same deal. Theres no way to prove it was a christian symbol.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Yes i have actually...

Thanks for the detailed info

Given the date of AD 79 for the destruction of the city that wouldn't have given much time for the movement to have been known there to any extent. Of course a great deal of Pompeii is yet to be uncovered. The bible was being written about that time so who knows..... I would doubt that many if any of the inhabitants would have known the 'rules' set out by this hebrew god

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Originally posted by Akragon

Yes i have actually...

Thanks for the detailed info

Given the date of AD 79 for the destruction of the city that wouldn't have given much time for the movement to have been known there to any extent. Of course a great deal of Pompeii is yet to be uncovered. The bible was being written about that time so who knows..... I would doubt that many if any of the inhabitants would have known the 'rules' set out by this hebrew god

It seems christians have been struggling to find evidence of christianity since its conception... In reality we have no evidence of Christianity within the 1st century... even the books of the bible we're likely not written by who they claimed they were written by... The earliest christian texts are dated to the 2nd century (approx.)

Now i realize that many people will claim the earliest Christian texts were the pauline epistles, apparently dated to 50-60ad at the earliest... refering to Thesselonians... but i believe most scholars will diagree with that dating...

Although the actual writting is dated by scholars to be within the first century... the earliest known fragments of the texts used to create the bible are actually dated to the late first and second century

Look here...
en.wikipedia.org...

So technically we have no actual texts that date back to the first century... This is why Christians, and the RCC are always on the look out for Archeological evidence of christianity within the 1st century

top topics

<<   2 >>

join