It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've never done good things, I've never done bad things, I've never done anything out of the blue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Salutations, ATS. I feel kind of bad admitting this, but I'm a longtime semi-lurker turned poster. Originally, I had come here exclusively for teh lulz, totally expecting the tinfoil hat mines to be filled to capacity. Over a year later, I've realized that the "nutjob conspiracy theorists" that subsist exclusively on a diet of coffee and fingernails are in the minority here; instead, ATS is a community of intelligent, friendly, social, and altogether awesome people.

I live in Pittsburgh, and I work in the medical imaging field. More and more, I'm growing despondent with healthcare in this country -- not just for the usual reasons, but just watching what it does to people, how it treats patients like case studies and such without even telling them a lot of the time. It's a bad feeling when your goal is to help people, and the entity you work for is doing the opposite. I know this is indicative of a larger system at play -- a corporate attitude where money is everything and the individual is nothing -- and that's probably the ultimate reason why I've come to ATS. I'm so disillusioned and angry (just like a lot of you), and though I've known something is wrong for a very long time, this site has put a lot of what I've been feeling into words.

In my free time (what little I have), I write sci-fi and horror stories. My favourite writers are Ray Bradbury, Philip K. Dick, and H.P. Lovecraft. Back when my job wasn't trying to kill me with an insane schedule, I was into photography, and I had a nice little project called "Cthulhu and Me" (which I would love to pick back up). I wish I could say more about myself, but my job has completely swallowed my life. I'm pretty much there all the time. Relatively recently, I was diagnosed with epilepsy, and it's been a constant struggle to get that under control as well. I often joke "I used to be a person."

I don't want anybody to think I'm the most depressing person alive, or anything; I've been through a lot in thirty years, and I'll get through this, too. I'm a cancer survivor, and I was given about a year or so whenever they finally found it. I didn't have any options other than the atomic bomb of chemo -- it was surprising that I even got through that. And that's just the tip if the proverbial iceberg. So, the way I see it, I'm an Anything Survivor. If the bombs fell tomorrow, I'd probably stand up with the cockroaches, shake the dust off of my hair, and play "London Calling" about thirty times because it was so fitting. That's how I've always pictured it, anyway.

So, that's my post. I'm really terrible at writing these things.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hyaena

Dear Hyaena,

What a wonderful introduction. Ashes to ashes to you too. Love the look of the blonde girl in the video. Now lets see how many others get it. Peace.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
What are you saying?.....you write incredibly well. Glad you're here finally.

Sorry you work so much at a job that's disenchanting to you. That must suck but......after all, we're here in this incarnation for material wealth!!! They told me that in school. It' been all about 'education education education' and 'money money money'.
Luckily there's a break on the horizon. Looks like we'll all be switching over to: 'survival survival survival' mode any day now.

You're not alone. If that helps. Sometimes they're just words to read. Hope that's not the case here. You're truly not alone.

You're remarkably brave and seemingly strong. And if this world blows up, I hope I find myself standing next to you....along side the cockroaches of course. I'll be the one with the funny looking Human eye

Very nice to meet you

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
hi op

i remember (here in the uk) quite a few years ago
a student doctor dropped dead
he was pressured into doing around 20 hrs a day
he practicaly lived there for a year
sorry no sources

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Well an official welcome to membership even though you aint new to this place. Wonder how many members was familiar with your thread title.

Anyway, interesting introduction, I'd say you aren't so bad at writing either.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Hello and welcome from another cancer survivor!

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

My dad got me into Bowie at a very young age. To this day, I will argue that Hunky Dory is his best album, and it has everything to do with listening to it over and over on the old record player in the basement.

I will say this, too: On December 21st, 2007, I listened to "Five Years" and had a good laugh. Well, maybe "laugh" is the wrong word, although I did laugh a little. It wasn't an outright happy thing. It was more of a "Oh boy, here we go. I wonder where we'll be in five years, or if this little theory will amount to nothing?"

Being the friendly skeptic that I am, I still don't know. But we can all agree that it's been an interesting year so far.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

You know, I'm not sure we're going to be in "survival" mode entirely, either. With the way things are going, people aren't going to have a choice but to see what's going on. They have to wake up -- there's simply no other way. That's half the battle right there. And when that happens, TPTB lose the "P".

I'm really, really, really hoping that we won't have to go out into the wilderness and live that way for a while. Not that I would mind it (I grew up in the middle of the woods), but I think about my patients. Some (many) wouldn't survive. And if everybody in the city would leave them behind, I'd probably stick around to do what I could. Even though I'm not a doctor or a RN, I still have enough patient care skills under my belt to be able to do something.

Mayan, Web-bot, Nostradamus, or whatever prophecy you want to go by since I'm not going to list them all -- maybe the lesson of 2012 is that we have to learn how to unite as a species or be assured of our own destruction.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

I pulled thirty-six hours at the hospital once. It was whenever the East Coast was buried under eight thousand feet of snow a few years ago. That night, I went home, got about four hours of sleep, and returned to the hospital for a sixteen hour shift. After four hours of sleep, I went back for another fourteen or fifteen -- I honestly can't remember. That night, I had a huge seizure in my sleep and somehow hit my head so hard (probably off my bed) that I wound up with closed head trauma. They got mad that I called off work that day. I was vomiting and couldn't see out of one eye, and then I couldn't be woken up for fourteen hours.

That was when I knew I had to get my epilepsy under control. Unfortunately, my job doesn't always make that easy.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by freethinker123

Thanks. As I said, I kind of felt bad as to why I started coming here. Rest assured, however, that my attitude changed after hanging around for a little bit. Don't be fooled, though: I'm still as new as they come. I still can't figure out how to flag posts.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Awesome. Are you completely better now or are you still in remission?

I kind of hate "remission". It's like being in Limbo.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Hello long time lurker turned recent new member! Great to have you onboard. We understand that ATS (our fair website) can be quite overwhelming at times. That's why we have this little presentation to help you get on your way to becoming a valued member here at the forum.

So kick back and enjoy the little presentation tour to get you oriented in the right direction!

Welcome Hyaena

To save yourself a lot of searching and even possible future heartache and frustration, please review the below....

For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now.

Once you have achieved 20 post replies, you will then be able to start your own threads in the appropriate forums and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links to get you started in becoming an informed and valued member of ATS.

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read first)

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Start Here - ATS Freshmans Forum

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Background images

Signature Guidelines

General ATS Discussion Etiquette.

We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

Be sure to try out our Ask ATS with the 'topic' search words of your choice. I'm sure you will find many threads to pick from to add your thoughts and opinions too. We encourage everyone to please contribute to existing threads rather than start a new one. This will also help guarantee that your thread won't end up as a duplicate located elsewhere. The ATS Search feature is your friend!

AboveTopSecret is much like a theme park with many, many rides, so with that said...
Here's a few thoughts before getting onto any one of the 1000's of topical rides at Above Top Secret, also known as ATS, the world's largest Civil & Unique Discussion Community.

* Please check out those links posted above before getting on one of the rides. This will save you a lot of future stress, frustration and possible action by one of your friendly neighborhood Mods!

* Please be sure to act like an 'civil' adult and are at least this tall to get on any of the rides, (Johnny stretches his arm outward).

* Please remember that some members are very passionate and vocal depending on what ride your all on. You should be mentally fit, stable and have a strong stomach for theories, conjecture, research and evidence presented that may be contrary to your own.

* Please be "open-minded" enough to understand that sometimes the ride isn't always what you might expect. Be aware you also might end up learning something new and 'out-of-the-box' before you get off the ride.

* Please note that at times the ride gets overly-heated and "it's strongly suggested" to get off the ride to regroup one's thoughts before continuing. This will also help guarantee that the ride will move forward without getting derailed or explode into a fiery trashbin.

* Please have fun! But be aware that if you act in an uncivil-like manner, use profanity, intentially spread a hoax and/or get verbally abusive, you will be removed off the ride by a Moderator. This is not only for your safety, but also for those both young and old on the ride with you.

So buckle up, keep your arms within the ride's comfort zone, have fun and "Deny Ignorance"...!

Johnny

edit on 2/26/2012 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

There's a lot of reading here -- reading that just kind of opens a wormhole onto itself.

I'm going to be here for hours.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Time and again I tell myself I'll stay clean tonight - but I come back to ATS anyway. I'm in a cover band and Ashes to ashes was the first song we learned.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you!
It sounds like you've been through the wringer but we're happy you've come through.
I had a friend up there name Mary Radford who passed away 2 years back. Your post made me wonder if perhaps you'd worked up some images for her.
Pittsburgh is a big place divided in to lots of little burbs, I used to love to visit there especially for the arts festival in summer.
Old memories now but again it's great you decided to step out of the shadows.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I got up this morning and went into the kitchen singing that very song you have in your title
. You must be here for a reason. Welcome to ATS

There's a forum on here especially for writers too, look out for that.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I used to be in a few punk bands myself. Ever hear of The Casualties? I'm at a slightly higher pitch than that guy, but otherwise, yeah, that's Punk Rock Voice™.

I'm sorry about your friend. However, I work exclusively with pediatrics here in the city. In my hometown, I was adult-oriented, neuro-focused.

The art festival still exists here. Also, if you're looking for a quick Steel City fix, check out the "Pittsburgh Dad" series on YouTube. It's hilarious.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Well, I hope I'm here for a reason. The more my life rolls on, the more I think that everything has to happen for a reason, no matter how slight.

Yeah, I thought I saw that somewhere. However, I haven't actually gone to the writing forum yet -- I'm still a bit overwhelmed. But I'll check it out eventually. Thanks for the reminder.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyaena
reply to post by Night Star

Awesome. Are you completely better now or are you still in remission?

I kind of hate "remission". It's like being in Limbo.

Cancer is all gone. None of us have any guarentees in how long we will be alive though. Got to live one day at a time and make the best of it.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hyaena

lol welcome aboard

my 1st and still favorite bowie video/song

new topics

top topics

join