It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphin "Party" off California Coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I stumbled across this video and article of what appears to be upwards of 2,000 dolphins 'racing' along side a whale watching boat.
Amazing!

Link

This astonishing video of 2,000 dolphins racing a whale-watching boat is either cute, unsettling or a bit of both. The ship was off Dana Point, Calif., when it encountered the "mega-pod," which paced the boat at up to 25 miles per hour. A normal pod contains about 12 dolphins

Here is another member's thread from 2009 showing similar behavior
Link

edit on 00/00/0000 by ka119 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119

Cool video, and weird. Living near the Cal coast, I've never seen more than the 12 or so they say is normal. Could be a party, I guess, dolphins are quite social!

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. That's amazing to watch. I've always loved dolphins. They are beautiful animals.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
They are protesting

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mcdgray129

"CBS Evening News" reported that baffled scientists believed the huge group might have been racing the boat just "for fun." That seems likelier than a solidarity swim to endorse the recently proposed dolphins' bill of rights.

Haha thats what I thought of too

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Its called a super pod.
And while they are not very common, they do happen and are perfectly normal.
You would be very lucky to see one.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I don't get the feeling they're frolicking. They appear to me, to be bothered and trying to communicate something.
Is there a Dolphin-whisperer in the house?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
or it could be the beginning of the night of the dolphins like in the simpsons! i, for one. will welcome our new dolphin overlords!

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies
Its called a super pod.
And while they are not very common, they do happen and are perfectly normal.
You would be very lucky to see one.

How is it you know this yet scientists don't?

Not saying you're wrong but...c'mon. My very life is in the hands of science. Don't tell me they are that inept. Ah....never mind. I already know their repertoire.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119

Thank you so much for the thread and video link. When I was a kid, I witnessed such a pack of dolphins myself off the Southern California coast. At the time, I was told that it appeared to be a very large pack of "adolescent" dolphins which sometimes comes together. I have no idea if that is the case, but the site was absolutely stunning, as this huge pack surrounded our boat, playing with the bow and the wake, staying with us for close to 45 minutes. Thank you so much for bringing that memory back to life!

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

Man what a cool experience!
Its truly surreal to witness dolphins in real life, they are absolutely extraordinary creatures.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I have to agree with Human Alien these dolphins are not frolicking and being casual there's something else going on. Lately people have been reporting seismic activity in California, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska. Remember these animals can hear and see the Earth changes so just maybe they are getting out of Dodge.
edit on 25-2-2012 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

I thought the same thing too. Maybe they sense changes coming. Prior to the 2004 earthquake/Tsunami, the animals knew to head to higher ground.

Right before the Japan quake, a BILLION fish died by LA.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on February 25th 2012 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This would be described as odd behaviour, eh? Could this be a sign of the Big One earthquake? (ok, sorry for fear mongering) but has anyone's animals been acting weird lately?

edit: sorry, i was so excited to make my post that i didnt even read the other ones before mine. It looks like I'm not the only one with this thought. Stay safe everyone. (i live on northern vancouver island)
edit on 25-2-2012 by phoenixlights321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119

I suspect the dolphins are coordinating a mass migration because of an impending earthquake. It could also be increased sonar activity due to the global wars and incoming Iran conflict. Perahps they were trying to escape the sounds.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I saw activity like the second video once. On an "adventure rafting" tour of Catalina Island in CA back before 1999. Can't remember what year, but it was before kids so 1998 or earlier.

The first video does look like more frantic activity though.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixlights321
This would be described as odd behaviour, eh? Could this be a sign of the Big One earthquake? (ok, sorry for fear mongering) but has anyone's animals been acting weird lately?

edit: sorry, i was so excited to make my post that i didnt even read the other ones before mine. It looks like I'm not the only one with this thought. Stay safe everyone. (i live on northern vancouver island)
edit on 25-2-2012 by phoenixlights321 because: (no reason given)

I don't think it's about you fearmongering because you can clearly see something peculiar is happening, all you did was ask a question that many would agree popped in their heads when they saw the video.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I remember seeing something like this on a Transatlantic crossing back in the seventies. We were at least a thousand miles from any land, when we saw what we thought was a huge school of tuna, leaping and plunging at high speed. We altered course to intersect with them to try to catch some dinner.

As we got closer we started seeing that, wow, these were some BIG tuna! And a school of thousands!

As we got even closer, we realized it they were not tuna, they were dolphins, and we had underestimated how far off they were. I figure there were at least five thousand of them. We intercepted their course. We were in a high speed racing trimaran, going around twenty knots. This is water skiing speed, for you landlubbers. They merged with us, frolicking at the bows and surging up between the hulls. We lay in the trampolines with our fingers down, stroking their backs as they leaped up towards us.

After about five minutes pacing us, they finally decided we were not on their preferred course. They broke off from us, all disappearing at once, then reappearing half a mile away moments later. We calculated their course as being dead on to Gibraltar, and we were still a thousand miles away at least. As we were headed towards England they would only waste a few minutes matching our course, just for dolphin laughs. But then back on course to the Med.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I have seen way bigger pods then those between Catalina and the Southern California coast. I have fished the area for the past 20 years and it is pretty common. When the tuna are in the area the dolphins and the tuna work together and trap bait fish. One time in particular the sonar showed solid dolphins for over a 1 mile radius.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Stop eating dolphins

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join