It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Way" a film by emillio estevez

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Has anyone seen this movie? Have anything to say about it? It is a story about a man who does the pilgrimage "El Camino de Santiago" or "The way of St.James". I would like to know what you thought of it, if you found it enlightening, etc.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Was browsing on demand and saw them talking about it. It actually peaked my interest as it wasn't a high budget film and had an actual storyline based on life, and how many places it can lead you and change who you are.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

It actually peaked my interest as it wasn't a high budget film and had an actual storyline based on life, and how many places it can lead you and change who you are.

Yes, me too.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Shirley MacLaine did the walk to celebrate her 60th birthday and wrote a book (as is her want
) about it.
Absolutely amazing and enlightening read. Has inspired me to do the same in 10 years time

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Shirley MacLaine did the walk to celebrate her 60th birthday and wrote a book (as is her want) about it.

I remember that too. It does sound like an interesting and meaningful thing to do, I hope you get to, that would really be something. "They say Spain is pretty, though I've never been"
Sorry couldn't resist.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487
Was browsing on demand and saw them talking about it. It actually peaked my interest as it wasn't a high budget film and had an actual storyline based on life, and how many places it can lead you and change who you are.

It PIQUED my interest too, but I did see Mr Sheen lauding it, so I guess people will be biased.

Now if I were on the peak of a mountain, I might not have even see that tweet.

oh well

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Well, I watched it last night. The scenery is breathtaking, and since I have been long curious about that part of the world, worth watching the movie for. The movie is subtle and not for those who crave action. If you enjoy seeing characters grow and change then you will enjoy it.

Martin Sheen is the leading character and he does a fantastic job. Also noteworthy are some of the pilgrims he meets and forms dysfunctional and then functional relationships with. All the characters grow as humans in this movie, coming to know and own themselves, and care for each other. There are some wonderful local people they meet along the way as well.

I would give it a
, and I think I may need to watch it again as the portrayals are subtle, but beautifully drawn.

For those of you who watch it, please let me know what you think!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
‘The Way’ was fantastic movie depicted magnificent northern Spanish scenery beginning in the Pyrenees and ending along the Atlantic coast of the Iberian Peninsula. A man, carrying the ashes of his deceased son, striving onward along a long road to complete the walk begun by his son, meets three fellow travellers. The first, a fat Dutchman named Joost who is walking to lose weight so that his wife will find him attractive again, a woman, Sarah, walking the Camino de Santiago with the promise of abandoning her addiction to cigarettes after completion, and Jack, an Irish author on the path to clear writers block.

All, with different backgrounds, theological beliefs, and reasons for walking, form a loose group so as to not be alone. Throughout the film one can witness the majesty of Spanish mountains, vineyards, and semi-arid lands, dotted with small towns and towering cathedrals. Many times the actors were welcomed into homes along the way by the warm embrace of natives who have long comforted the lonely travelers with good meals, entertainment, and warm hearts. Even the attempt at displaying the goodness of Gypsy after a young Gypsy boy steals the Thomas Avery’s bag with his son’s ashes.

It was because of this theft that Thomas was informed of the awe inspiring coast, slightly further than their destination; Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia. When Thomas asks the others if they would care to join him the extra distance, they decline. Shortly after this point we are taken to the Cathedral where Joost explains that it is customary to greet the statue of Saint James on your knees. Jack however earlier stated he will never enter a Church, yet do so here.

Inside they stand, filled with the eternal spirit as the Priests perform a ceremony including incense within a large thurible, swaying back and forth. Thomas sees his son among those pushing the thurible and one can sense he feels comforted. After exiting the Cathedral they, without even directly saying it, all agree to continue with Thomas to the coast. Upon arrival you witness the coast’s grandeur, standing at the edge of the Atlantic. He takes the bag of ashes and scatters it among the rocks where ‘The Way’ ends.

My opinion of the film is extraordinarily positive. It gripped me with an unexplainable sensation of awe and inspiration. I sat silent much of the film, contemplating the scenery, customs, conversations, and rituals being performed. The story is evokes powerful emotions. For me, ‘The Way’ earns 10 out of 10 without any questions. Everyone should watch this film.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Thank you so much for your beautifully written synopsis and review of "The Way" on this thread. I just watched it for a 2nd time and enjoyed it as much. It is very touching. It really inspires.

There are pilgrimages all over Europe and the Middle East. There are some in the US, in New Mexico that I know of, probably others I do not know of. This movie makes you think about that and the people who take them. This has made me interested to know more.

top topics

join