It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am not the body (Jnana Yoga)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I've recently found an interesting document called "I Am (K)Not the Body" and thought that it would be a good idea to share it with those interested in Jnana Yoga. It's a collection of statements from Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Jnana Yoga is a method, among others, to surpass the intellect and attain Vijnana or the Maharloka (an higher plane of conscousness) where indirect (and prone to errors) intellectual knowledge is replaced with direct knowledge. The true definition of Vijnana can be found here (chapter 22, p.475).

The order of the worlds (lokas) of the ancients (for the curious ones):

1. Pure Existence (Sat) - World of the highest truth of being (Satyaloka)
2. Pure Consciousness (Chit) — World of infinite will or conscious force (Tapoloka)
3. Pure Bliss (Ananda) — World of creative delight of existence (Janaloka)
4. Knowledge or Truth (Vijnana) — World of the vastness (Maharloka)
5. Mind - World of light (Swarloka)
6. Life - Worlds of various becoming (Bhuvarloka)
7. Matter - The material world (Bhurloka)

Here's some excerpts:

By the continuous practice ('sadhana') of focusing on the 'I am not the body' idea and its subsequent dropping off one enters 'suddha mauna' (pure silence) which is also called 'anandatita' (transcending bliss) and 'turiyatita' (beyond the fourth state).

'Mauna' (pure silence) is the ever speaking state which transcends speech and thought and is meditation without mental activity. It can be only known when the 'I am the body' idea is completely destroyed.

The idea 'I am the body' is 'ajnana' (ignorance) through which a person thinks that he is within the body, whereas, actually, the body is in the Self like any other perceived object. Thus have the firm dictum: 'I am not in the body, the body is in me'.

It is only through the wrong understanding 'I am the body' that one is deluded by external appearances and feels he is caught in the bondage of 'samsara'(cycles of birth and death). So if the ego is destroyed through the 'I am not the body' idea, then this delusion (that one is in bondage) will cease completely.

When the 'I am the body' idea is destroyed by the 'I am not the body' idea, both disappear and the entire mind enters into an intense activity of 'silence' which completely destroys the 'maya' (delusion or ignorance).

It is due to the 'I am the body' delusion that you regard the world that is changing as changeless (the world has always been around) and the Self that is totally free from change as changing (the three states - waking, dreaming and sleep or through aging).

When you focus on the idea 'I am not the body' it implies that I am not the mind as well, naturally the next question would be 'then, who am I?' - No answer, silence. You have entered the 'mauna' of the Self, absolutely free of all desires.

Questions and answers will be there only in the dualistic language based on the 'I am the body' idea. On having the firm conviction 'I am not the body' you enter the non-dual state where questions and answers do not exist.

Through the conviction 'I am not the body' we are no longer caught up in space and time. Now, then and always, here, there and everywhere we are the same One. We alone exist, the 'we' in which there is neither space nor time.

The entire document can be found here: I Am (K)Not the Body

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by D1ss1dent

You are (the I am) what never appears but is always present. If it could be seen who would be seeing it? The seer can not be seen. If it is seen, it can not be it.

youtu.be...
edit on 25-2-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by D1ss1dent

I think it is the exact opposite.
The real problem is that...
We are divorced from ourselves.
In denial of ourselves...
We separate ourselves into mind and body.
And then say ‘I am not the body’.

The body is the self...the source of all bliss.
Where would we be without it?

Precisely!

Just curious...Why the (K)?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

What is the ‘I am’?
Or should I say what do you mean by ‘I am’?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by midicon

'I am' is the pure seeing and knowing. 'I am' is what you are without any concept added. If you say the words 'I am', you know you are, you know you exist, but as what? People always put a concept after 'I am', as in 'I am male/female, happy/sad, good/bad'. But if you say 'I am' only you are telling the truth.
You are not a concept, you are not a 'thing'. As the title of the thread says 'I am not the body', but also, i am is not the thoughts, i am is not the emotion, 'I am' is not any 'thing' that can be named.
The words 'I am' are said in the present tense, whereas 'I was' is in the past tense and 'I will' is in the future tense.
So stay with the 'I am' because it is true. When you say 'I am' you know you are here and now where life is happening.
When you are present here and now with what is arising presently, you are aware of all the comings and goings, thoughts appear and disappear and are seen by the awareness that is 'I am'.
'I am' is pure awareness without concept.
'I am' is the seer, the hearer and knower of 'this' (what is happening presently), it is always present but not everyone knows it is there.
When it is recognized the world full of troubles disappears.

youtu.be...
edit on 26-2-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
'I am' is non dual awareness;
youtu.be...
youtu.be...
edit on 26-2-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Thanks for replying...it is appreciated.
But being honest I have to say I didn’t need all that.
One sentence would have sufficed.
However I have a somewhat different viewpoint.

And if as you say...I say ‘I am’...then who am I saying it to?
For me ‘I am’ is the duality expressed and affirmed.
Perhaps back then... when the word was with God.
And he muttered those immortal words ‘I am’.
Duality was born!
And of course you say ‘I am’ is awareness.
But what is awareness other than awareness of self-not self?
Awareness won’t stand on its own.

And you may feel that ‘you are’...or know that ‘you are’...
Or even see that you are!
But you are never really present in the ‘here and now’.
Nor can you ever be...only in retrospect.
If you know what I mean,

But I am just being fickle with words here.
And messing around...
Because it’s only words...from me to you!
And if you were really ‘there’
Then you wouldn’t be ‘here’...or would you?

And I’m not too fond of those you tube videos,
Although I did watch and listen to one!
I could do no less!

Anyway, good luck with all that stuff.
Sorry about my writing style!

Midicon.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by midicon

There is no me and you.
There is only 'this'.

new topics