It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding the Afghan resistance through video games and movies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
While I am not exactly a "gamer", I came across a video game called "Homefront", earlier today. For those who dont know, the games plotline involves an American resistance of a North Korean invasion. The player takes on the role of American insurgents fighting a guerilla war against the invading Koreans.

Interestingly, the games writer also worked on another popular piece of fiction - a 1984 movie called Red Dawn, which depicts an American guerilla resistance against an invading Soviet force.

These fictional storylines, depicting American resistance as "freedom fighters" and glorifying armed insurgency from an American point of view, are perfect parallels to the situation in Afghanistan....where the Afghans are fighting a guerilla war resisting an American occupation.

Americans need to note that Afghan resistance to foriegn occupation has always been depicted in a positive light in American film culture, through films such as Rambo 3 and The Beast. (Not to mention, the mujahideen also recieved approval and support from American politicians of that era as well)
Therefore, the present day Afghan resistance of American forces also need to be evaluated in the same light.

The religious element ingrained within the current Afghan resistance, is no reason to discount the Afghan resistance. The point is, resisting foriegn occupation is human nature, which transcends barriers such as race or religion.

edit on 25-2-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Absolutely
I have respect for the freedom fighter, the rascals

Hell I'd probably do the same, so I hope to think would you, but some of their reasons meh - lets not get started on that one
It's the other VAST majority of 'fighters' that I... dislike
Rambo 3 the original release , at the end states dedicated to the courageous people of Afghanistan
I haven't seen it since 9/11 except on an old pirate video cassette
edit on 25-2-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

edit on 25-2-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

join