It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The British WW3 files from 1981 declassified

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
French nuclear strategy and that of the British seems to differ.

My understanding (and this is a common belief) is that French nuclear weapons would only be used if France itself were about to be overrun, that the shame of 1940 would never be allowed to happen again. But that we'd never use nuclear weapons to "save" the Germans or anyone else.

But this article suggests that Mme Thatcher would use tactical nuclear weapons in Germany against Soviets & Polaris strategic weapons against USSR even though England hadn't been attacked by such nuclear weapons at all ?

I doubt she'd have done that. The American President would realise that English nuclear weapons falling on Moscow would be the end of Washington DC and a hundred other American cities. He wouldn't have allowed Thatcher to use English nuclear weapons in such a circumstance. Instead they'd abandon continental Europe to it's fate and try to reinforce England by air and sea.

And if that didnt work, Queen Elisabeth would abandon her burning realm and move instead to Canada with her ugly children, try to run the commonwealth from there instead. Mme Thatcher would lose the premiership, the English would sue for peace.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The scenario is a strange one. I always believed it would be a nuclear war if we had a third world war. Just look how close we got with the Cuban missile crisis. Surely if the Ruski's used Chemical weapons against troops, Nuclear war would have been inevitable, but I believe they would have been used before any conventional war progressed.

Point being if the UK was hit by Soviet nukes they would have pretty much wiped us off the map.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity
French nuclear strategy and that of the British seems to differ.

My understanding (and this is a common belief) is that French nuclear weapons would only be used if France itself were about to be overrun, that the shame of 1940 would never be allowed to happen again. But that we'd never use nuclear weapons to "save" the Germans or anyone else.

But this article suggests that Mme Thatcher would use tactical nuclear weapons in Germany against Soviets & Polaris strategic weapons against USSR even though England hadn't been attacked by such nuclear weapons at all ?

I doubt she'd have done that. The American President would realise that English nuclear weapons falling on Moscow would be the end of Washington DC and a hundred other American cities. He wouldn't have allowed Thatcher to use English nuclear weapons in such a circumstance. Instead they'd abandon continental Europe to it's fate and try to reinforce England by air and sea.

And if that didnt work, Queen Elisabeth would abandon her burning realm and move instead to Canada with her ugly children, try to run the commonwealth from there instead. Mme Thatcher would lose the premiership, the English would sue for peace.

What about Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?? Oh I keep forgetting you never take these countries into consideration which are part of the UNITED KINGDOM in every single one of your gaulish posts..

edit on 22-3-2012 by MrKipling because: mon erreur

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Yes you are correct in some ways , except the USA under both Eisenhower and Kennedy have stated that if Berlin was threatened then they would use Nuclear forces,

people always remember Cuba , but forget the precursor that was the Berlin crisis.

snoopyuk

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

He wouldn't have allowed Thatcher to use English nuclear weapons in such a circumstance.
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

He really wouldn't want them to use them, he obviously has no say in the matter though.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join