It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for firearm owners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I have a question for the people of ATS who own firearms, primarly pistols.

Which brands/calibre do you have and what would recommed I buy?

-SAP-
edit on 25-2-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I have owned and/or fired many through the years...

What are you looking for in a handgun? Why are you buying it?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Well, for how much it may help, I carry a 1911 full size as my CCW and the handguns are all revolvers with the exception of that one and an XD 9mm I'm refinishing to sell.

Personal advice though would be to find a range near you that rents weapons for use there. Spend a day or two trying different ones. There is no right or wrong gun, only which gun feels right in your pair of hands.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Pistol... I personally like a .45 caliber of a reliable make: SIG, HK, Glock, Springfield (XD, XDM models). I'm sure people will suggest others, though I get a chuckle at the 1911 lovers. My faves are the HK followed by the Springfield.

I might also suggest picking up a 9mm as well because it is a NATO round and there will lots of available ammo should the SHTF.

Rifle: Any AR model chambered in 5.56. Same reason: NATO round. It's good to have a military rifle around for those special occasions.

Also, agree with Wrabbit - find a gun that works for you. I used to have a Walther P99 but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the damn thing. It wasn't a good gun for me. The HK, however - I can lay down a 2" pattern at 21 feet with ease.

edit on 25-2-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
I have owned and/or fired many through the years...

What are you looking for in a handgun? Why are you buying it?

I am looking for anything really, I was looking at Ruger they have some nice centerfire pistols for a pretty penny.

The main reason is because it's my second amnment right to own one. Also I have been reading a lot about home invasions around where I live, and I want a self defence weapon to protect my family, also shooting at the range is fun.

Right now all I have is a Winchest 270 short-mag hunting rifle. I've shot many times though. I've shot a .9mm and .357 a few times as well, just never my own firearm.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I am with the other members here get a .45...

If you are worried about home invasions and personal protection, the .45 is the weapon of choice here.
.45ACP will do just fine if someone comes into your home uninvited

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
All good stuff. Thank you guys I think I'm going to buy the standard .9mm and .45

Thanks again for your time!

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Pistol... I personally like a .45 caliber of a reliable make: SIG, HK, Glock, Springfield (XD, XDM models). I'm sure others will suggest others, though I get a chuckle at the 1911 lovers. My faves are the HK followed by the Springfield.

I might also suggest picking up a 9mm as well because it is a NATO round and there will lots of available ammo should the SHTF.

Rifle: Any AR model chambered in 5.56. Same reason: NATO round. It's good to have a military rifle around for those special occasions.

Also, agree with Wrabbit - find a gun that works for you. I used to have a Walther P99 but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the damn thing. It wasn't a good gun for me. The HK, however - I can lay down a 2" pattern at 21 feet with ease.

2nd
Top tips go for 9mm
And something like glock sig or hk
But seriously TRY BEFORE YOU BUY
Too many firers go for a big name or a flash weapon that doesn't suit them
Size/weight/recoil/dexterity/pistol grip size/ergonomics
Having a suitable weapon for you will improve your draw , accuracy and above all confidence in that weapon and your ability to use it

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

Will do thanks for the tip. They are welcomed.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

12 guage with bird shot if I need to take care of someone trying to cause harm to my family. I could put a giant gaping hole in them with my 30-06 but the round from that rifle will end up going through walls, probably end up located somewhere in my neighbors house. Bird shot will disable and intruder and not go through any walls possible injuring my own family members.

I do not have any hand guns... yet.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I've owned many handguns in my life, from 44 mag to 22 short. The 44 mag will deafen you in an enclosed environment and at night the muzzle flash will blind you. The 22 short semi auto was a collectable and wouldn't penetrate sheetrock.

I also have a CCW and I carry a .38 special. It will handle everything from 40 pound coyotes to 400 pound hogs. Without getting into custom made weapons, the best off the shelf are Smith and Wesson and Ruger, Taurus running a very close third. If you are a large framed person, a .357 may be more to your liking. When I venture out on my farm, I carry a S&W model 66 .357. It's very acurate. If you are a smaller person, a .38 may be more to your liking. Smaller calibers such as a .32 would be considered only for less recoil or a lady, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I've been outshot by a lady with a .357 who had as much practice/training as I have.

Semi autos IMHO should be carried outside from under clothing. Lint, dust and dirt are an SA's nemesis. That being said, the right one well maintained will get you out of sticky situations. I personally wouldn't carry nothing less than a 9mm. A .40 S&W or .45ACP is better. Being clip fed is a plus until you can learn to reload with a speed loader if you choose a wheelgun. When I was a cop, one time I responded to a call where a .380 was fired at anothers head and the bullet bounced off, not before cracking the skull and giving the fellow a bad headache.

That said, ammo is a prime consideration in your carry weapon. In my .38 I carry Winchester +P silvertip hollow points. I practice with the cheapest ammo I can find. Getting used to your weapon, knowing its limitaions is as much as accuracy. When you get your weapon, run at least 500 rounds through it before carrying it. Also, learn to clean it as well as you can. If you have some mechanical know how take it apart and clean the insides, too. A good diagram of the weapon is invaluable. I found a place on the net stevespages.com... that most break downs can be found.

If you chose a semi auto, again, save the expensive stuff for carrying and the cheap stuff for practice. Some semiauto's won't cycle all ammo without some aligning and polishing. Thats why you should buy from a reputable gunsmith.

If a semiauto was made small with a high capacity clip in Super 38, I'd jump all over it.

Good luck and hope you find a good weapon that fits you.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
My #1 pistol is a 1911-variant .45 single-action auto.

However, take this tip. I went to a local shooting range for a .22 rifle seminar. We got to shoot several types of .22 rifles, and it held some surprises for me. Your shooting, for pistols or other, may surprise you as well. Anyway, I expected to like the .22 levergun, but didn't. I didn't fire the .22 auto, as I already had one. The bolt-action .22 was so-so. I did not expect to like the .22 pump...but I loved it!

So, go shoot as many different guns as you can.
edit on 25-2-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I would stay away from a 1911 unless you're getting into competition or historical weapons. Long term durability SHTF full size I'd recommend a Sig P226 in 9mm or 40 S&W or a P229 for a compact version in the same caliber. Its a heavy metal firearm and one of the best shooting experiences you can have in a combat weapon. If you want a lighterweight high quality weapon for a low price FN Herstal (Makers of FAL, M240B, and many other US and Euro military weapons) FNP 9 or 40, the FNX is a little more and has a sealed fire control assembly (which I don't like because I do gunsmithing) these are polymer hammer guns. The XD line from springfield are excellent striker fired weapons, as well as Smith and Wesson's M&P line of firearms. You can't go wrong with a Glock 17, 19, or 22. I would stick to NATO and Law Enforcement calibers availability will be great for a while after SHTF. .45 is only slightly larger than .40 I'd also recommend having the Desert Eagle Micro Eagle or Taurus 380 for a backup weapon. A Ruger 10/22 would be a great carbine to have as well, lightweight, cheap on ammo and weapon and is excellent for dispatching game and hunting small game. The Israeli's have a sniper team that utilizes a suppressed 10/22 modified to use SSS 60gr subsonics for "crowd control" (they just keep accidentally hitting people in the eye though). I have a benchrest 10/22 that will drill a nickel 10 shots for 10.

I prefer hammer driven double/singles as being able to fire from hammer down gives you greater trigger pull weight on your first round, then a very light single action trigger pull weight from there on. This allows you to get rid of the safety (its just as dangerous as it is safe). I have worked in the firearms industry for a long time as well as being in positions of having issued firearms.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

PA 22's are killer! Tons of fun! Cricket makes a training 22LR bolt single shot that is another great rifle for a bug out, they're made for teaching children and tons of fun for the parents to shoot but bolt 22's (except mag) are really not all that fun, they're utility weapons.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NightFlight

Id recommend staying away from Ruger auto-pistols the SR line continues to have alot of problems short stroking primers. Ruger revolvers on the other hand are excellent weapons and I prefer them to Smith and Wesson's except in competition. .357 caliber revolvers give a little more room for ammo handling .357 magnum and 38 special, it is also better for firing 38 special +P as pressure will not be a concern.

Bob Munden made an incredible 200 Yard shot with a 38 special snubbie! Old school LEO's most all swear by this cartridge for good reason. The only downfall in a urban survival is hammer springs weakening turning your double action to a single action or worse, but this can be said for all hammer driven firearms.

edit on 2012225 by mretgis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Never been a big fan of Ruger or Glock

Best piece I have ever owned was my Charles Daly Edition 1911. Balanced hammer and trigger. Had gas ports near the tip of the barrel. A .45 with the kick of a .22

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I carry a Glock 40 on duty but for my personal choice I use a Walther 9mm. The 9 is more accurate, the 45 is less accurate unless you are proficient in weapons. The 40 is a good middle of the ground weapon.

top topics

join