It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Husky kills baby

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

A friend of an Alberta couple whose two-day-old baby was killed by the family's pet husky says the dog was probably trying to comfort the crying boy when it delivered one fatal bite to the child's delicate, tiny head.

One fatal bite ? sure does sound like it had different intentions. I don't believe he wanted to kill the baby. But you can see the difference between a husky kill and if a pitbull attack.

Did they know how to deal with dogs and new borns?

Rob and Rhonda Fradette, and they seem to have done everything they were supposed to do when they brought their new baby home from the hospital last week.

How did the dog get access?

They had locked the dog in its kennel in the basement and put their sleeping baby in his crib, Donald said. But somehow the dog escaped and went to investigate when the baby woke up crying. It was not a vicious attack, she said, and the same bite wouldn't have killed an older child.

Killed an older child ? with one bite ? i dunno.

What kinda grab?

"When dogs grab their young, they grab them there to pull them in," said Donald, who came to know the Fradettes through the dog-sledding community in southern Alberta.

Do people really know their dogs?

Donald, who runs Mad Dogs & Englishmen Expeditions, a dog-sled touring company in Canmore, Alta., conceded that no one will ever know what was going through the dog's mind

Owners shocked at the dogs behavoir?

The parents issued a statement through the RCMP on Thursday that described their son's death as an "unthinkable, tragic accident" but did not talk about what happened.

unthinkable ? i'm no dog expert , but , dogs are animals. Animals can be very dangerous . Animals don't know how fragile a child really is .

But of course this is the usual excuse you hear from dog owners who think they know their dogs.

"i never saw it coming"

"she was gentle giant"

"she licks people to death"

"my dog would never hurt a fly"

its sillyness like this , that gives the dogs "blind trust" if you will.

any charges?

The RCMP will only say that their investigation revealed there was no negligence and there will be no criminal charges

was the dog trained and nice?

The animal had not been aggressive before and went through training and obedience classes.

irresponsible parents?

The parents said they also attended seminars by the Calgary Humane Society, including one on how to bring a new baby into a home with pets

one of parents jobs?

Rob Fradette is a competitive dog-sled racer

in the dog businesss , they know pets well.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

Now this is another terrible event that happened. I don't believe the dog in this case meant to kill the baby , but it did regardless. Becasue it didn't know how fragile a child was. Thats what i got from the story anyway. But i don't know what kinda bite it was , and the dogs expression when he did it . What if it was jealous of the new born ?

Secondly dogs + alone babies = big mistake. Even if he escaped. Clearly your entrapment was not good enough , which was part of the chain of events.

Lastly i'm not a fan of pit bulls + babies. Their attacks are far more dangerous then these breeds.

Sad story , tragic end. But lets learn from these things instead of repeating it .

so cute right?

I hope this article wakes up some of you naive dog owners.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

No I don't see a difference between the attack of the pittbull and the husky. Both are large dogs mauling a baby. What is the difference? Because the owner applied some fuzzy story to it?

Look, babies are a lot like squirrels to a dog. They're little, they make high pitched noises, make sudden moves of the arms and legs. All dogs are the descendant of wolves, they still have the instinct to attack in them.

I have 5 dogs and I wouldn't trust my dogs around a baby. They can get a little crazy sometimes. Especially when the pack mentality comes in.
edit on 25-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
On the recent pitbull thread, I had said banning is wrong. It IS wrong. However, I also said I was 100% FOR registration of Pits and 'other' breeds. Well..... What a coincidence. lol..... Siberian Huskys (ALL the Wolf Breeds), Chows, and Dobermans would hit the top of the list on the registration (not ban) concept.

When will people do a little research?? Some dogs are just breed through history to be so friendly, they wouldn't attack if someone was literally killing them.
While others....like Pits and Huskys....have a whole different temperament. Great pets..no argument...with the right owners.

Whatever IDIOT leaves a Husky alone with a baby in the first place is criminally negligent. I can't think of anything short of a Wiener dog or some equally harmless little guy I would leave..and even then.. Well... probably not.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

All dogs are wolf breeds. They share the same DNA minus a few genetic mutations of fur, weight, size, color, etc.

And legally all of your dogs have to be registered already, dog licenses. But I don't want the government intruding in my life anymore. No thanks.

Dogs can be dangerous. And they are more dangerous to children than to adults. But here's the reality. Dogs almost never kill people. A child is more likely to die choking on a marble or a balloon, and an adult is more likely to die in a bedroom slipper related accident. Your chances of being killed by a dog are roughly one in 18 million. You are five times more likely to be killed by a bolt of lightning.

You have a 1 and 18 million chance of being killed by a dog

www.dogwise.com...

I'll take my chances. With a statistic like that why would you need government intrusion?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

No I don't see a difference between the attack of the pittbull and the husky

Oh i do ! , the pitbull is far more aggresive and violent when it sees red vs the husky. I would fight a husky any day of the week , vs a pitbull. I'll take a german shepperd over a pit bull.

It is very difficult to stop a pit bull attack when it is in red mode. It doesn't back off , listen to commands, you can stab it , kick it , punch it , shoot it . It will still stay the course untill its body physically can't continue.

Other breeds one kick , one slap , will run away and flee. But pit bulls are their for the kill , regardless of how much damage is inflicted. Pit bulls and all breeds in that little clique need to be muzzled all times.

Its a weapon , therefore should be treated like one .

Just ask this guy , which dogs he would rather fight off ...

www.liveleak.com...
(graphic)

edit on 25-2-2012 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

This is just simply not true. Pitbulls are not more aggressive than any other breed towards humans. They can be just as dog friendly if raised around other dogs. You are spouting dis-info

Its like saying all black people are violent by nature because they have a higher statistics of violent crimes. It's a environmental and nurture problem. Pittbulls are not any more violent than a German Shepherd by nature..

If a dog is raised in a bad home, it will be bad. A lot of idiots get pittbulls, they are popular in ghettos. Hence the violence problem.

Also, I've broken up many dog fights of different breeds. If a dog is SERIOUSLY trying to hurt a dog it is VERY hard to get them to stop. It doesn't matter the breed. Fight or flight instinct..

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

This is just simply not true. Pitbulls are not more aggressive than any other breed towards humans.

I said when they see red.

Oh i do ! , the pitbull is far more aggresive and violent when it sees red vs the husky

I'm not talking about when its in general setting. Once it sees red , Its a different game. Its a different animal. Its instincts are full sail ahead.

When pits and other breeds like it is in red mode. Good luck is all i have to say . Those dogs with such violent behavoirs need to always be muzzled. , or kept at home away from the public.

If a dog is raised in a bad home, it will be bad. A lot of idiots get pittbulls, they are popular in ghettos. Hence the violence problem

Myth #1: It's the owner not the breed
The outdated debate, "It's the owner, not the breed," has caused the pit bull problem to grow into a 30-year old problem.1 Designed to protect pit bull breeders and owners, the slogan ignores the genetic history of the breed and blames these horrific maulings -- inflicted by the pit bull's genetic "hold and shake" bite style -- on environmental factors. While environment plays a role in a pit bull's behavior, it is genetics that leaves pit bull victims with permanent and disfiguring injury

www.dogsbite.org...

There are many examples of good pit bull owners who also have tasted the red mode violence of a pit bull. Thats what dog owners don't understand. Its a killing machine.

Lions make great pets too , untill they see red.

edit on 25-2-2012 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

When they see red? A pitbull isn't a bull in a bugs bunny cartoon.

Any dog when it is in fight mode is dangerous. However, dogs just don't randomly start attacking people. If the dog is people aggressive then it was not raised and trained properly.

Huskys can do JUST AS MUCH DAMAGE as a pittbull.

Your argument makes no sense at all. The locking jaw thing is a myth.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I generally agree with you, but not on this one. It's impossible to argue that breeders have worked through the ages to breed IN and breed OUT certain traits to specific breeds of animals. It's true with Cattle as much as Dogs or others. In this case...some were bred to be work dogs with a good personality like the 'sheep dog' breeds. You have poodles and collies (think Lassie). That isn't happenstance, to my understanding. It's almost a science for the breeders in reading about it.

So...as some are bred for happy, friendly dispositions or a focus on quick learning and ability to work....others are bred and focused for defense, aggression or even offensive use against others.

So.. We do disagree in starting from the idea that all dogs are made equal. They aren't..and never will be. I don't want any of the breeds banned...but there sure are owners that CHOOSE certain breeds who need banned themselves.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

When they see red? A pitbull isn't a bull in a bugs bunny cartoon.

a cartoon really ? , but check out my responses on this thread and you will get a better picture of what im talking about when it sees red.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Pits do get a bad reputation and it's not the dogs fault. Although I will suggest if you own one make it the only dog you own and you lessen the risk of violent tendencies in them. They have a very strong pack mentality. Even if they aren't viscous dogs, if another dog in their group attacks, they wont hesitate to follow the lead. The same might even be said of Husky's and other dogs.
Even though I suggested this I do believe this to be cruel to the dog because they need same species companionship throughout their life so having a friend who has a dog they can interact with on short term bases might help but it can also trigger them. This may not be true for all of them but the pit I owned when I was younger was this way. Alone she was fine but when she was with other dogs... watch out.

Now I have a black lab and as you probably know they are usually not viscous at all. My mother will bring her dog by when she visits allowing the two dogs to play. Even though the two love playing with one another I have noticed from the beginning of this interaction that my dog has become more aggressive. She was always a pushover before but being around another dog has made her take an Alpha role. She attacked a stray the other day and ran it off. I would have never expected this from her just months ago before my mother got her dog. She would have wanted to play with the stray back then, not anymore.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Pitbulls are some of the most wonderful dogs in the world. If trained correctly. You can't blame the breed for the negligence of owners.

Really this whole banning big breed dogs isn't for "public safety" it's because the authorities don't want to have to deal with it when they are trying to violate your rights. They are afraid of them as guard dogs etc..

I own several dogs, 4 of which are pit bulls and I have 4 kids, they were around when my youngest was 4 and never, ever had an issue with any of them.

Same for this husky, he was probably trying to comfort the baby, or as another poster mentioned, sudden movements etc..

A really sad story, but this should not turn into a conversation regarding banning or having to register your dogs. That's insane.

The whole registration issue? Why? What's this " show me your papers BS" that our countries are trying to pass. I should be allowed to own whatever pet I want on my land in my own home. Until that animal actually causes a problem.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Hahahaha
My best friend owns an 85lb. pure-bred Pitbull. The only trouble it gives me is it hogs the couch when it snuggles with me, and when sticks it's tongue in my ear when i wake up with it's gaped-open mouth inches from my face. Not only is the thing AFRAID of a feisty newborn kitten, but it cries when the power goes out.

I've been bitten by Poodles, Pomeranians, Yorkshire Terriers, Chihuahuas, Weiner dogs, Beagles, Pugs, numerous Dachshunds, and most recently a Papillon..... all not instigated, not from bad owners, simply because the dog was being frisky.
Drool marks from too many Pitbull kisses? The horror!
An idiot can own any type of dog and make it act any such way. Generalizing a smart, strong and beautiful breed like that only makes one with Pitbull experience laugh.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Your argument makes no sense at all. The locking jaw thing is a myth.

You don't even understand my argument , let alone to put it together and for it to make sense to you .

There is a lock jaw , just not in the literal sense. But strong muscles , big head plus big jaw = hard to open. It doesn't have to mean they lock literally . If it makes you feel better lets call it , big chomp

now i wouldn't want my hand caught between that head

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Really this whole banning big breed dogs isn't for "public safety" it's because the authorities don't want to have to deal with it when they are trying to violate your rights. They are afraid of them as guard dogs etc

Come on now , if the police really wanted to "violate your rights" , putting a bullet in your dog is not that hard. Cops can defend them selfs from dog attacks , with the tools they have on them.

Why would police fear these gentle beasts?

so you see they are not afraid , they just don't wanna have to shoot your dog , when it gets in the way of a police investigation .

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

You can believe what you want, but the ability to protect yourself from intruders, on your own land, in your own hosue it's being attacked. Those rights are being taken away.

There are far more dangerous dogs out there, that are "violent" which are small breed dogs and you don't hear about them being banned or "registered" do you? No, because they aren't the kind of dogs that can be trained to take down a 250lb man who is trying to rob your house.

I've had my house broken into with 4 of my pitty's inside, it did not go well for the man who kicked down my front door.

So I refuse to allow the "government" or any other person or organization to tell me what I have the right to own as a pet. it's not their business.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

When pits and other breeds like it is in red mode. Good luck is all i have to say . Those dogs with such violent behavoirs need to always be muzzled. , or kept at home away from the public.

Being Locked away from the public and not interacting, Socializing is whats so disabling to dogs in the first place, Leads to more outbreaks of attacks, If you Socialize them at an early age of a pup all though adulthood, they are more social able.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Your position makes a lot of sense and I can see your position of not wanting your animals to be registered, much less permitted. It sounds like they've proven their value as members of your household by defending it at least once.

I do have a question for you though, as you sound like the picture of a GOOD pit bull owner. You admit your dogs CAN be vicious and dangerous...and CAN take down and kill a full grown adult. Well and good..and I see why it's a positive point in your thinking.

What happens though...for those who have the same dogs with the same potential for death and mayhem yet do NOT have equal respect and care for how they treat and train those dogs? Isn't that a concern for the rest of society?

For the OP.... It applies to all dogs and not just Pits...at least those breeds which have a proven, documented and long period history of attacks and human conflict which results in injury or death. How to handle the owners who think the whole thing is cute...funny...or actually LIKE the idea of USING their dogs as weapons?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It is a conundrum isn't it?

Problem is, most people who get pit bulls for the wrong reasons, don't receive them from the right place. I know that in my town, to get a pit bull from the SPCA or any pet store, you must have somebody come in a make sure that you can properly take care of the dog.

Plenty of space, safe environment, etc.

This isn't just for pit bulls, but all dogs considered to be " dangerous" such as Rotty's and German Sheperds. That I don't have a problem with.

You want to confirm that I have the means and the local to properly take care of an animal, prior to you selling it to me, that's a good rule IMO and one that should stick. But beyond that, it's an owners fault if the dog isn't properly trained.

Mind you there are "broken" dogs. We have a retriever who was severely abused as a puppy and to this day ( 5 years later) still has issues with large/unfamiliar men being near her. She pees and is genuinly afraid when large males come up to her because her previous owner was an abusive ass.

That's not the dog's fault and if her response was aggressive than I would have considered putting her down for the safety of my family and neighboors.

The problem really are puppy mills and this illegal places where dogs aren't well raised when they are born and have to literally fight each other for food etc..

These are the things we should eliminate if we want to have dogs that are properly trained and not dangerous.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
As a resident of the Puppy Mill capital of the nation as I understand it, I can say there is a lot of pressure here to end as much of it as possible. We've had new laws passed and definitely seen an increase in the effort to find and shut down poor quality animal breeding operations in the area. Some have been ENORMOUS in numbers...and horrendous in conditions. Really a scary thing.

Reputable breeders are just as you say. Around here, they want a single home visit to inspect the grounds and space, depending on the breed. It makes sense, as some of the Wolf breeds in particular do need room to move. Cramming a Husky into a 1 bedroom apt or 18 wheeler (I saw that a couple times) always did strike me as outright cruel.

So, we can certainly agree that the way they're bred and raised has almost everything to do with how they turn out. I still say there is that bit of instinct that is breed and genetic based....but a loving home probably overcomes that in all but the 'bad seed' kind of dogs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join