It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What If Democracy Is Bunk?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

What if you are only allowed to vote because it doesn't make a difference? What if no matter how you vote, the elites get to have it their way? What if "one person, one vote" is just a fiction created by the government to induce your compliance? What if democracy is dangerous to personal freedom? What if democracy erodes the people's understanding of natural rights and the foundations of government, and instead turns elections into beauty contests?

townhall.com...

I gave up voting some year back. Why because I started getting the feeling it did not matter who you voted for.. The end result was always the same.

In the UK opposition to the Iraq war was immense. Huge marches occurred in London. Did the government listen to the people. No chance. Both main parties were in agreement and the war happened. So much for democracy.

I also often wonder why the same type of laws seem to be passed worldwide. As if a hidden hand has choosen to have them implemented and puppet governments follow suit.

Democracy I think is dead. It has been taken over by large banks. Once I thought things like shadow governments and the Illuminati were conspiracies. Now I see them more in the remit of fact and the pyramid below not being too far from the truth.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The very Idea of a democracy is a false positive. It is used as a tool of propaganda because of the positive condentation it has. When in fact the idea of a democracy is horrible. With that being said, I do understand the premise of your post and agree. The point I'm trying to make is with the idea of democracy being pushed on people there seems to be smoke inherently coming from that direction. And where there is smoke there inevitably is fire.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Democracy is the ideal that all the citizens of a nation determine together the laws or actions of their state, requiring that all citizens have an equal opportunity to express their consent and their will.

The United States hasn't been a democracy in years. I don't agree with those countries governments for killing their people, but I do support their will to not bow down and accept a governmental system that pillages and rules its citizens.

The two party system is a system where nothing really gets done. Yeah lets split congress in half so we can have stalemates all the time instead of getting stuff done. Thats a great plan!

Voting is a sham. The media is in the back pockets of someone. Whether you like Ron Paul or not, there is an intentional media blackout. They will mention three of the candidates in every political piece, and act like Ron Paul isn't even running. Its just not right how people are being led on who to vote. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. Problem is people buy this whole free election thing, and America's choice for President. Its not a choice when potential choices are not even mentioned or covered.

Its not Democracy when people don't have a say in Government. All these state representatives we vote for get bought out and do the bidding of whoever is signing the checks. The sad part is we continue to let them do it.

Did people vote for the creation of the consumer bureau? The organization that is going to need funding and results probably will have little impact on anything. Guess who gets to fund it? Oh yeah us. Democracy doesn't exist in the United States of America anymore. Whoever has the money runs the country.

Follow the money.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I thought democracy has been debunked already?

Pretty sure it has, if not, it wont take you very long to de bunk it.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
As far as I am concerned, the only valid form of democracy, is one in which the legislature in question, is only able to pass laws which are binding on those who are physically present in the room at the time.

But there is no possible way that the cabal will allow that to exist, so...

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
There is no democracy here. A regular homeless guy can't run for president. He can no way afford to get his name out or even get on the ballot. I am not saying anyone would want a homeless guy it just the system limits who can actually run for office. If your not part of the elite the system is rigged to pretty much keep you out.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ixtab

Than you. I would've thought that more people through research would come to understand the philosophy of a democracy is not that great. It never ceases to amaze me how many are under a democratic daze.

edit on 25-2-2012 by GD21D because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

I think the principles of democracy where set up with the best of intentions. But instead of the democratic system improving it got hijacked by power are greed. I guess that is the same for a lot of things like religion for example. Now western nations are run by banks and corporations..

Image below is fitting.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands...

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

“A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.” Thomas Jefferson

Woman: “Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”
B. Franklin: “A Republic, if you can keep it.”
(Constitutional Convention of 1787)
edit on 2/25/2012 by Klassified because: html-eta

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch

kudos...well put....

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

We have representative democracy that imo is not democracy at all. You are given a choice of candidates chosen for you. Once in power we have no say on what they do, we have to simply put our trust in them. Of course this system can be easily manipulated.

Real democracy is direct-democracy.

Unlike the current “Representative Democracy” where elected representatives make decisions regardless of the wishes of their constituencies, in Direct Democracy individuals vote on critical issues and their decisions are carried out by their elected representatives… Whether they like it or not...

www.directdemocracynow.org...

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

We have representative democracy that imo is not democracy at all. You are given a choice of candidates chosen for you. Once in power we have no say on what they do, we have to simply put our trust in them. Of course this system can be easily manipulated.

Unlike the current “Representative Democracy” where elected representatives make decisions regardless of the wishes of their constituencies, in Direct Democracy individuals vote on critical issues and their decisions are carried out by their elected representatives… Whether they like it or not...

^Exactly. A true, direct democracy is a terrible thing to contemplate. I was just about to post something quite similar, but am glad I read your post first. Thanks!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeSigh

^Exactly. A true, direct democracy is a terrible thing to contemplate. I was just about to post something quite similar, but am glad I read your post first. Thanks!

what?? no, he was advocating direct democracy, not condemning it.

as for the Franklin quote someone else posted, his comparison is false. it assumes that the majority would be the wolves, which plainly isn't the case most of the time. in most cases the predator comes in the form of the elite, which is a minority. however, there are some cases, such as an assumed guilty child predator, in which the minority are the sheep and the majority are the wolves. this is why most advocates of democracy, such as myself, are also advocates of consensus decision making. this involves all opinions being heard until the discussion comes to some sort of compromise. if a compromise is not reached in an allotted period, then the decision is referred to a vote, but again, all opinions have been heard and so now people will be able to make a more unbiased judgment. this is far superior to the current system where only certain individuals have a say and, in many cases, those individuals have a certain bias, hence the reason that corporations get away with so much today: they have the decision makers in their pocket.

true, direct democracy can be defined as nothing other than freedom; it is in fact the essence of freedom.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
We do not live in a democracy, rather a republic. We elect our electors

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by eboyd
...this is why most advocates of democracy, such as myself, are also advocates of consensus decision making. this involves all opinions being heard until the discussion comes to some sort of compromise. if a compromise is not reached in an allotted period, then the decision is referred to a vote, but again, all opinions have been heard and so now people will be able to make a more unbiased judgment..

Yes that is how direct democracy works. People say it would be tyranny of the majority, but consensus decision making ensures that won't be the case.

All decisions are considered, and if someone is not happy then the vote will remain open until all parties are satisfied. It is not majority control.

At the present time we have tyranny of the wealthy, corrupt tiny minority.

MYTH: INITIATIVES CREATE TYRANNY OF THE MAJORITY
FALSE

Denying our 1st Amendment Right would be more accurately described as oppressive and tyrannical. To apply such a label to lawmaking by popular vote, where fundamental rights are protected by the U.S. and Delaware Constitutions, is absurd. It is a play on words that is designed to elicit an emotional response. The implication, by those threatened by direct democracy, is "mob" and "majority" is the same. Those who make such claims are those whose power is threatened by determining the popular will; politicians, political parties, lobbyists and special interests.

www.delawareiandr.org...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
There is no democracy here. A regular homeless guy can't run for president. He can no way afford to get his name out or even get on the ballot. I am not saying anyone would want a homeless guy it just the system limits who can actually run for office. If your not part of the elite the system is rigged to pretty much keep you out.

Democracy has nothing to do with who runs or who does not. That is your particular State and other States' laws that determine the cost of placing a name upon the battle. While the cost of elections and conveying your message is staggering it is by no means a correlation with democratic methods. A product maybe; but the Internet is a gigantic game changer in the next 10 years in regards to this.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Yes that is how direct democracy works. People say it would be tyranny of the majority, but consensus decision making ensures that won't be the case.

All decisions are considered, and if someone is not happy then the vote will remain open until all parties are satisfied. It is not majority control.

Then that isn't Democracy. It has to be a majority/minority issue otherwise no initiative would ever pass. There will always be a minority opinion to the fact.

But I ask -- what happens when the minority becomes the majority? You don't see major conflict in this?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This again? I thought everyone knew by now that Democracy was nothing more than mob rule. Period. Majority rules. If 51% of the people want to kill you, you get killed. Democracy sucks. It never works.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Some folks here just do not give people enough credit. You are too wrapped up in your own desires and needs.
If we keep ignoring society as a whole society will fail. Without the collective organization of the people we will always be exploited.

Direct democracy is one step towards empowering all of us. Of course the right wants to maintain the over competitiveness that divides us, because they believe individuals are more important than the whole. It's that thinking that leads to dictatorships. One person having ultimate authority over the state system, and giving authority to whom they choose. In America we have a dictatorship of the unaccountable wealthy tiny minority.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I agree with the first two posts of this thread.
I would like to add that I think that it matters not which political system we use the outcome willl always be the same.
The animalistic nature in man/woman always seems to overtake people and the behaviour we see displayed in governments of today is the manifestation of that.
What's happening now is not new and has been repeated over and over again from the times of old, that's why we can already see the outcome of todays madness.
In a reality of infinit possabilities this is what we choose, time and time again.
Politions can't save us from ourselves.

top topics

join