It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Didn't Need More Discouragement and Disillusionment, PETA.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

What is PETA doing? What is their purpose, and how can they go so directly opposite to what they publicly proclaim?

PETA appears to be more of a sort of quasi-political action committee than anything resembling a dedicated animal rights organization.

The best places i have found for animal welfare are mostly those local to one's community and that both survive on local donations and avoid politics.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Like I said, I dont doubt the euthanasia figures completely, just question the reasoning behind PETA being targeted.

They aren't the only ones to have a high euthanasia rate...

Take for example Tazewell County Animal Control and Pound Facility, out of 2543 animals taken in, 1938 were euthanized.

Link:
www.virginia.gov...

Anyway, take a look at this Center for Consumer Freedoms if you get the chance, I've only had a fleeting look myself and am a bit limited being on my phone at the moment, but I think it's worth digging in to see what their agenda is and who finances them (tobacco companies, Monsato to name a few).

I could be wrong but my gut says I'm not.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Dear OhZone and Chadwickus,

May I apologize to both of you for not making my meaning clear?

Yes, OhZone, I agree feral animals are a problem. And, no, my knickers are not in knots over euthanizing them when there is no reasonable alternative.

You are correct, that is what County Animal Control Services are for. BUT PETA SHOULDN'T DO IT.

Yes, educate the kids, that's right up PETA's alley. Teach people to spay or neuter, that's another great PETA project. Fine, have it.

But they don't seem to be running shelters as much as killing centers, and that's not right for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Dear Chadwickus, thanks for bringing me into the real world with Tazewell County Animal Control and Pound Facility. As I mentioned, taking care of the strays, one way or another, is what they should be doing. (Even at that they managed to place about 24% of the animals in homes.)

Further, I am perfectly prepared to agree that Center for Consumer Freedoms is funded by the most biased and corrupt people on the planet. Heck, they could be funded by the Third Reich. (CCF may be a good target for a thread.) But, I DON'T CARE. At least not in this thread.

If the facts are solid, I think bad things (I don't know what) should happen to PETA. Then we can take down CCF.

With respect,
Charles1952

P.s. Chadwickus, would you like me to look into CCF, or would you prefer to. I'm really not necessarily pro-business.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Yeah, when one thinks of PETA, normally one would not associate then with killing animals. I never doubted the facts of the number of killings, but knowing that animal lovers, like my PETA sister, do not want to see animals suffer, I felt there was more to the story than "killing" animals.

PETA's views on euthanasia can be found here It could be, it could be that the animals "in their care" were known by parties involved that these animals would be humanely euthanized, rather than euthanized in a manner PETA considers cruel.

It could be that if PETA had NOT bothered to euthanize the animals in the data, those animals would have suffered inhumanely. It could be that stopping PETA from euthanizing would cause more suffering.

The two people mentioned in the article who were arrested? They were acquitted.

IMO If PETA is humanely euthanizing animals rather than letting them die by an inhumane method, than an organization that wants to relieve animal suffering humanely should be acquitted in the court of public opinion, as their two employees were acquitted in the court of law. IMO bad things happening to PETA might in the end be the cause for more, not less, suffering of animals.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

You have to understand the difference between animal rights activist's and animal welfare activists. Animal rights activists want to liberate animals from humanity. So PETA views animals like cat's and dog's as unnatural. If PETA had their way all the domesticated cat's and dog's would go extinct.

"We are not especially 'interested in' animals. Neither of us had ever been inordinately fond of dogs, cats, or horses in the way that many people are. We didn't 'love' animals."
-- Peter Singer*, Animal Liberation: A New Ethic for Our Treatment of Animals, 2nd ed. (New York Review of Books, 1990), Preface, p. ii.

"In a perfect world, animals would be free to live their lives to the fullest: raising their young, enjoying their native environments, and following their natural instincts. However, domesticated dogs and cats cannot survive "free" in our concrete jungles, so we must take as good care of them as possible. People with the time, money, love, and patience to make a lifetime commitment to an animal can make an enormous difference by adopting from shelters or rescuing animals from a perilous life on the street. But it is also important to stop manufacturing "pets," thereby perpetuating a class of animals forced to rely on humans to survive."
-- PETA pamphlet, Companion Animals: Pets or Prisoners?

And here PETA reveals it's true colors:

"The cat, like the dog, must disappear... We should cut the domestic cat free from our dominance by neutering, neutering, and more neutering, until our pathetic version of the cat ceases to exist."
-John Bryant, Fettered Kingdoms: An Examination of a Changing Ethic, PETA 1982, p.15.

In-case some of you don't know, these are among the "rock stars" of the PETA group think world. That is why PETA is a dangerous terrorist organization. Boycott any celebrity, politician or organization that donates time or money to this monstrous group.

Sub-Referenced
purebredcatbreedrescue.org...

----------
Those above who are "Pro PETA" are either misguided or outright sociopathic members of the PETA terrorist organization.
edit on 4-3-2012 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I've had four cats and a dog. They've all been picked up off the street or from shelters. The one thing I admired about PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) was their aggresive defense of critters, sort of the ACLU of the animal world.

Then I see the Daily Caller article, based on government records.

Documents published online this month show that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, an organization known for its uncompromising animal-rights positions, killed more than 95 percent of the pets in its care in 2011. . . . In a February 16 statement, the Center said PETA killed 1,911 cats and dogs last year, finding homes for only 24 pets.

Kovich also determined that PETA employees kill 84 percent of the animals in their custody within 24 hours of receiving them.

What is PETA doing? What is their purpose, and how can they go so directly opposite to what they publicly proclaim?

I know I'm a little incoherent, but I'm hurt and angry. Will someone please try to justify this for me? Or at least help me make sense of it.

Oh, here's the link. dailycaller.com...

edit on 25-2-2012 by charles1952 because: (no reason given)

They lie, and it's all about control. They get people that like animals to go along, and don't share with them little details like the one you mention in your post. My personal opinion is they are simply another tool of those that wish to control the food supply, the water, the resources, everything. Do a search for PETA + terrorism, and you will be stunned what you will find. Humane treatment is one thing; controlling others and assigning "rights" to animals is another.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Like I said, I dont doubt the euthanasia figures completely, just question the reasoning behind PETA being targeted.

They aren't the only ones to have a high euthanasia rate...

Take for example Tazewell County Animal Control and Pound Facility, out of 2543 animals taken in, 1938 were euthanized.

Link:
www.virginia.gov...

Anyway, take a look at this Center for Consumer Freedoms if you get the chance, I've only had a fleeting look myself and am a bit limited being on my phone at the moment, but I think it's worth digging in to see what their agenda is and who finances them (tobacco companies, Monsato to name a few).

I could be wrong but my gut says I'm not.

Their official response:

Who funds you guys? How about some “full disclosure”?The Center for Consumer Freedom is supported by restaurants, food companies and thousands of individual consumers. From farm to fork, from urban to rural, our friends and supporters include businesses, their employees, and their customers.The Center is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. We file regular statements with the Internal Revenue Service, which are open to public inspection.Many of the companies and individuals who support the Center financially have indicated that they want anonymity as contributors. They are reasonably apprehensive about privacy and safety in light of the violence and other forms of aggression some activists have adopted as a “game plan” to impose their views, so we respect their wishes.

They might be funded by interest, but so is everyone else. PETA, IMO, plays off people's emotions, tricks and confuses the dim witted into paying homage to them while they reap a public image and monetary reward.

Recently a store I like was shut down from actions by PETA followers. I liked the store, it did sell animal products, and I really didn't care either.

It's the equivalent of me running into a vegetarian store and ruining it because I want to 'save the lettuce'.

Although I'm not sure on the veracity of the claims, I'm going to suspect there are a couple meat industry tycoons involved in the CCF. Doesn't change the message for me. Even if the numbers are off, not a fan of PETA.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a PETA supporter either...

But I'm not a fan of vilification either.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

PETA is a political movement for vegetarians and those that want people unhealthy - I know, just rant on me.

Those horrible commericials for the worldwide federal animal - whatever - are just another organization that calls itself a charity, but spends most of its monies on commercials and upper-management salaries.

If you want to donate to an animal group and do some good - donate to your local humane society where they actually try to adopt out animals - they don't have the money for commercials or high-paid celebrities.

I know I couldn't work, or volunteer there - I'd be the old cat lady and the lady with 20 blind dogs....... but I do donate.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join