It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 U.S. officers dead in Afghan shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

2 U.S. officers dead in Afghan shooting

www.cbsnews.com

(CBS/AP)

KABUL, Afghanistan - Two American military officers were killed inside the heavily-barricaded Interior Ministry in the center of Afghanistan's capital Saturday, CBS News reports.

Mandy Clark, reporting from Kabul, reports the government offices are under lockdown after a U.S. colonel and major were shot dead in the ministry.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
This is related to the Koran burning incident. 28 people dead so far and now a U.S. colonel and major.

At least 28 people have been killed and hundreds wounded since Tuesday, when it first emerged that Korans and religious materials had been thrown into a fire pit used to burn garbage at Bagram Air Field, a large U.S. base north of Kabul. President Barack Obama and other U.S. officials apologized and said it was a terrible mistake, but the incident has sent thousands to the streets in this deeply religious country.

www.cbsnews.com

www.bbc.co.uk...

The incident reportedly took place in the main command and control centre at the building.

Reports say the two dead were Nato advisors.

Senior officials say they are investigating who opened fire. Local media reports suggest the incident followed a "verbal clash".

The ministry has been put under lock-down, officials say.

edit on 25/2/2012 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Two US advisors killed in Afghanistan

At least two American advisors have been killed in Afghanistan’s capital Kabul, as tensions over the desecration of the holy Quran by US-led forces intensify,

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
2 more warmongers kick the bucket!!! Oi oi oi!!

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Well you reap what you sow.

If you occupy a foreign country by force, bomb their house, kill their kids, scatter depleted uranium all over the place, blow up their cows, and burn their holy books you probably have a good chance of getting killed. Or at least making someone mad enough that they want to kill you.

Why can't people understand this? They really need to teach a whole class on Empathy in USA high schools.

If China invaded, blew up my house, blew my kids arm off and killed my dog. I'd be pretty mad too. Hell I'd probably even join the militia that would be formed to combat occupying forces.

If you poke a dog enough, it will eventually bite you.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
It says it happened in the main command center of a heavily fortified building. Just trying to figure out how soldiers and citizens could both be in a main command center of any building let alone a heavily fortified one.
edit on 25-2-2012 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
It says it happened in the main command center of a heavily fortified building. Just trying to figure out how soldiers and citizens could both be in a main command center of any building let alone a heavily fortified one.

The International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) said in a statement that two of its members had been shot dead.

It looks like another of the NATO ISAF members did the shooting.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

It looks like another of the NATO ISAF members did the shooting.

Maybe or maybe not...

statements on their website and a Twitter account, the Taliban have claimed responsibility for the shootings, which they say are in retaliation for reports of Quran burnings at a US airbase.
Political analyst Haseeb Humayoon says room for error is waning for international forces

Zabiullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, said the gunman was a man named Abdul Rahman. Mujahid said an accomplice inside the ministry helped Rahman gain access to the building.

Although official reports say two military advisers were shot, the Taliban, known to exaggerate tolls from attacks for which they take credit, claimed four high-ranking advisers were killed.

source

However the article goes on to state:

Captain John Kirby, a US defence spokesman, said there has been "lots of speculation on today's attack in Kabul. We do not know who killed [two] ISAF members or why".

The shooting comes on the fifth day of protests across the nation sparked by the burning of Qurans at a US base.

Speculation indeed.

Is the Taliban claiming responsibility just to brag? or did they really do it with an accomplice inside the ministry?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
A colonel and a major eh?

Gotta say - they've picked some high priority targets there and as yet no sign of this thing quelling.

Let's hope this is a clear message to America saying 'You are not in control anymore'.

America should just go home now, back to their families and admit defeat.
edit on 25-2-2012 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

Incidentally I wonder how many lives the actions of the colonel and major have taken?
edit on 25-2-2012 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkgandhas
2 more warmongers kick the bucket!!! Oi oi oi!!

Yeah i'm sure you personally knew them, you personally knew that these two people were responsible for killing other people.. The fact of the matter is two service members are dead. Two people who served their country with honor. We don't know their history, so why should one praise their death? Why praise death at all?

There are two families who now have to live with losing one in the line of duty. Show some respect.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
When did the war in Afghanistan stop being a war?

Apologizing for burning quarans, by our commander in chief while servicemen die.

When did we stop being warriors and instead, become toothless posers?

When?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Its sad but honestly, imagine an atheist group burning bibles in the southern united states? Some tea party people would show up and start shooting. I dont see why this is news.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

It was either an ISAF member or a member of the Afghan military. I don't know about now since we have supposedly "relinquished power" to the Afghans, but when I was there it was not uncommon at all for Afghan military as well as police units to have free access to secure ares.

My bet is it was an Afghan police/military member that was pissed over what happened and tried to take out the bone-head commander that a) let the incident happen and b) let it be discovered that Korans had been burned.

Personally I think the whole Koran burning incident was intentionally done and let be known to further fuel the anti-muslim rhetoric. TPTB need all the turmoil they can devise in the mideast right now to help build up support for whats to come next.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
When did the war in Afghanistan stop being a war?

Apologizing for burning quarans, by our commander in chief while servicemen die.

When did we stop being warriors and instead, become toothless posers?

When?

Well, burning Qurans certainly doesn't encourage the peace process, now does it?

new topics

top topics

join