It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music to die for !!!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
As far as I can tell, it was apparently only banned by the BBC. I seem to remember them banning Lola by The Kinks due to a reference to Coca-Cola. This lead to a hasty retake, where the offending product placement was changed to "cherry cola".

Also, Wiki writes the story off as urban legend stating:

There have been several urban legends regarding the song over the years, mostly involving it being allegedly connected with various numbers of suicides, and radio networks reacting by purportedly banning the song. Sources propagating the legend fail to provide substantiation for claims of suicides or radio bans.

When you take a look at the list of people on that Wiki page who have covered or reinterpreted the song, you could say that the urban legend appears to be in fact one canny piece of marketing.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Good song and i'm still alive, i think!

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SirKillallott

It had an affect on my cat too

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Up to seventeen suicides were reportedly linked in some way to "Gloomy Sunday" in Hungary before the song was allegedly banned.....
Hungary has had the highest suicide rate of any country for many years, so a few dozen suicides over a year certainly wouldn't have been unusual, even in 1936...

www.snopes.com...

However it also says that it is odd that all of the suicides were linked with a single song...but that's not really that strange considering:
a, it was a popular song at the time of the legend, b, suicide rates were already high, and c, in 1936 in Hungary, there couldn't have been too many hit singles over there blowin up the charts in competition.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Yeah have to agree with above post. Heard about it a few years back and listened to it. Nothing happened, still alive here.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Hi.

Just listened to the song,and i have to say it made me feel light headed and a bit faint!
Something about the way the piano and vocals both rise at the beginning of the song,i found that unsettling.
Still feeling abit strange even 5 minutes after listening to it,and i normally listen to Death Metal!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
It was a gloomy song, so people who were already depressed and possibly suicidal would have been attracted to it. Maybe people tend to commit suicide or attempt it to music. There was not any Goth music available in 1936.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join