It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banker Leaves 1% Tip On $133 Lunch Bill

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ElizaAshdene

I'm not completely convinced it's a hoax. They claim that the reciept was altered but do not really go into detail. They also went on to claim that the bill was really 30-something dollars and the tip was over 7... Granted it is not an expensive restaurant, but 1.33 on a $34 bill would still be pretty cheap. There is nothing on the note that says 1% either. I'm willing to believe the over all bill was maybe cheaper but I doubt the tip was generous and I as for the "geta a real job" note, who knows...
There was a bartender who posted a reciept one time where a customer wrote zero in the tip area along with a note that she should lose a few pounds. Unfortunately she identified the wrong person in her facebook vendetta....

I don't expect the restaurant will provide proof, I doubt they would legally be allowed to but it smells like coverup to me...

There isn't much point in getting angry about these things though, there are jerks out there and not much you can do apart from refusing to toady to them yourself.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jessica6

I'm not completely convinced it's a hoax. They claim that the reciept was altered but do not really go into detail. They also went on to claim that the bill was really 30-something dollars and the tip was over 7... Granted it is not an expensive restaurant, but 1.33 on a $34 bill would still be pretty cheap. There is nothing on the note that says 1% either. I'm willing to believe the over all bill was maybe cheaper but I doubt the tip was generous and I as for the "geta a real job" note, who knows...
There was a bartender who posted a reciept one time where a customer wrote zero in the tip area along with a note that she should lose a few pounds. Unfortunately she identified the wrong person in her facebook vendetta....

I don't expect the restaurant will provide proof, I doubt they would legally be allowed to but it smells like coverup to me...

There isn't much point in getting angry about these things though, there are jerks out there and not much you can do apart from refusing to toady to them yourself.

Its def. a hoax
People feel way too important on their facebooks these days
especially those 99% protestors

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I still think the whole thing was done by an employee of the restaurant or someone close to an employee. I mean, why black-out all that information on the check, but leave information that makes it easy to find the restaurant, and leave the server's name on the check.

And why did the restaurant initially state the check was legit and they would try and make it up to Breanna? Maybe they were playing it out for the publicity?

The whole thing smells of some unauthorized viral marketing that the restaurant decided to let play our for a few days while they discussed an exit strategy with their attorneys.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessica6

Why would they try to cover it up? Such an event would not only create a ton of free publicity (as has already been seen) but it would probably get more people to eat there. I say this just for the simple fact of how emotional people got over this. They're going to feel that they can show how much better they are than the 1% by going to the restaurant and leaving a big tip (not to mention a nice message on the receipt). If the restaurant came out and said that this actually happened it would be a great business move. On the other hand they gain nothing by covering it up. Therefore, the logical conclusion is that this truly is a hoax.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
i did a search and, well... it is a hoax!!!! one of servile links www.thesmokinggun.com... from the link

Sorry, The Restaurant Receipt Left By That Nasty, Rich Banker Is A Photoshop Hoax
what some will do for the 99

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

That makes a lot more sense - that the restaurant or some of the staff may have been in on it.

I can't see some random customer faking such a thing.

The reason the restaurant might be covering up is if they found out or suspected one of its own employees was behind this "going viral"...
edit on 28-2-2012 by Jessica6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Oh wow... sorry guys... i did not know this was going to be a hoax

glad you guys did your homework though and found out the truth behind this story.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Ah... All the people calling for violence or destruction of property or assault over a hoax.

What's sad is what could have happened, it's not hard to imagine another hoax similar to this getting far out of hand.
Say a very angry blogger tracks down information on the supposed "perpetrator" the bad tipper or the rude person etc... and puts their into online.
Next thing you know you have angry emotional people out there getting social justice on behalf of a hoax.

Gotta love entitlements, they make everyone so angry when they are taken away even if they weren't real in the first place.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessica6

If anything letting the hoax continue would help the restaurant.
More angry people would go to the restaurant and eat just to tip to make up for the lack of a good tip.
Coming forth and saying this is a hoax at the very least does nothing for the restaurant and might cost them the extra customers they would have won over.

As for the receipts it's easy to print a false receipt and put any price on there you want.
From my time bartending the first receipt is only to validate the charges, someone than needs to enter the receipt and the charges again or scan the receipt and insert the final values.
All you need to do is make a place holding receipt put any values you want and than void the transaction.
Your card isn't "charged" when you give it to them it's charged later that day/night when they re-enter the receipt.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Pigraphia
I check my bank statement the next day and the A-hole wrote in a 10 dollar tip which over drew me so I had to pay a 25 dollar fee.
BS I sicked the bank on them and got my money back but still what they did was theft plain and simple.

It wasn’t just theft, it’s credit card fraud. You should have called law enforcement and taken them along with you. Hopefully the bank went ahead and took care of this for you though.

If you are going to tip cash, NEVER write in a zero. That’s like asking someone to add numbers before and after it. Use a slash, sideways S with a line through it, a zero with a dash on either side, or write in something like “tipped driver in cash”. If the bank sees another number written over were you obviously blocked the spot, they will have a great case for CC fraud.

I always tell the driver that I am going to give him cash for a tip upfront, that way there is no tantrum like what you got.

I also cringe at that “delivery fee” as well. I am not sure how that works, but I have a feeling that it goes toward the cost of the delivery itself (gas, insurance, etc), not necessarily the driver.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Thanks for the tips.
I I'll keep them in mind next time I have to use my debit card or get delivery.

I don't know about other states/cities but where I am the delivery fee is supposed to go to the driver for vehicle maintenance/gas + time and effort on top of their wages.
Their insurance is supposed to be covered under the company policy and part of the fee goes to that.

At least that's how it is for the small business owners I've talked to.

The bank refunded all of my money, I don't know if they took legal action though.
They never told me one way or the other.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Actually it wasn't a hoax...

But it played out differently, you see the banker went into the waitress' wallet and took out 5 bucks for a tip for HIMSELF since he provided the opportunity for her to serve him...

Ok, it's all good now, we can go back to hating those who work hard to get ahead in life.....

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Oh look how fancy you are with the words! The unwarranted self importance oozing from your post smells amazing! You should avoid the US at all costs, we are all a stereotype and would not appreciate you coming between us and our freedom fries.

It's not "unwarranted self importance", Sherlock Holmes is English. We are the greatest nation and nationality on the face of the planet, bar none. As is proved when you compare our society to yours for example, we actually pay our staff over here, where as you pay for the staff alongside whatever grease covered slop you have the cheek to call "food" when you go out for a meal.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join