It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banker Leaves 1% Tip On $133 Lunch Bill

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
reply to post by JakiusFogg

In the USA the waiters indeed don't make much money and solely have to rely on tips and they do expect to get a certain percentage or else they look at you really mad or make certain comments. They expect about 20% of the Bill!
I experienced it myself. Here in Europe it's different, nobody expects to get "tipped" a certain amount but are happy if they get something, even if it's just 10 cent. As you said in Asia, tipping is considered very rude.
Overall tipping shouldn't be mandatory and expected.

I find the picture hilarious, the tip is excellent: Get a real job.
Because in the USA the job of a waiter/waitress or working in a fast food restaurant (especially hilarious if those people are over 30 and still work at McDonalds) is for the absolute low-end of the society. High-School Dropouts, Retards, lazy people who sat on their fat asses instead of doing something with their life and then up with such a job.

Are you kidding? And you think being a Banker is higher up on the totem pole? What do bankers do that increases their status in our society? Wear a suit?

I think serving others is way higher on the totem pole than any banking job. I have known some beautiful waiters and waitresses and I've also been in banking. Of course I made peanuts compared to the loan officers. I was a peon bank Teller and Computer Operator. I don't care what job a person has. It's how we perform our job and treat others!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Feeling mighty self righteous aren't you? How dare you condemn anyone for working as a restaurant employee. And as for calling "retards" the low end of society. My little brother was a "retard". All he ever wanted was a friend. But people like you treated him like crap. After two men pulled his shirt over his head and dragged him into a Phoenix alley and took all his money and his watch, he lost his will to live and died before those dicks came to trial. Retards are not the low end of society. THEY ARE A GIFT FROM GOD TO TEACH THE REST OF US ABOUT UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.

Many thousands of seniors are forced to work in fast food after "retirement" because they did not make adequate wages during their working life, or because the investments they made were stolen. My cousin's dad worked for GM his whole life, but ended up with no retirement because of the whole fiasco involving the auto industry which led to the govt. bail out. There are many reasons that somebody ends up in restaurant work and none of them are because they are the dregs of society.

AND HUMILITY! It's lacking in some people.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

At the same time, I think restaurants should just pay their staff more instead. I'd much rather pay a little more for each dish, knowing the servers get a paid a better wage and not have to do any math at the end.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
this makes me laugh

hope its true and not made up

go go banker!

link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85
lol i find your reply hilarious.
the fact that you deem anyone working lower wage jobs to be useless to society or a failure fits my impression of your narrow mindedness.
your slight to "retards" made it obvious.

saddens me that the worth of people now a days are not measured by who they are, but what they do for a living.
in your thinking, this jerk banker is a better asset to society than the waitress..

i'll take poor good people, over rich a-holes anyday in my shangri-la (not to say all poor are good. or all rich, jerks)

link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
reply to post by JakiusFogg

In the USA the waiters indeed don't make much money and solely have to rely on tips and they do expect to get a certain percentage or else they look at you really mad or make certain comments. They expect about 20% of the Bill!
I experienced it myself. Here in Europe it's different, nobody expects to get "tipped" a certain amount but are happy if they get something, even if it's just 10 cent. As you said in Asia, tipping is considered very rude.
Overall tipping shouldn't be mandatory and expected.

I find the picture hilarious, the tip is excellent: Get a real job.
Because in the USA the job of a waiter/waitress or working in a fast food restaurant (especially hilarious if those people are over 30 and still work at McDonalds) is for the absolute low-end of the society. High-School Dropouts, Retards, lazy people who sat on their fat asses instead of doing something with their life and then up with such a job.

While I agree with the first part, that "Tip" in the photo says more about the person who wrote it than it does about the person who served him, and your last paragraph says more about you than it does the people who really do those kinds of jobs.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Ive never understood what amounts to obligatory tipping.

In Australia you only tip if the service is good, why should I tip if I get crappy service?
Americans service staff would hate me, If their not friendly and attentive they would get nothing....

If its so essential to waiter/ess's livings why not just include 10% or 13% or whatever it is in the bill?
I say the fact its not compulsory means you leave what you think is appropriate regardless of how much money you do or dont have

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
i've never understood why restaurants don't have to pay their employees minimum wage. Does anyone know? I always leave a tip, but I feel I'm paying for my meal and also helping to pay the wages of the staff. Why is that fair that restaurant owners can do this?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Onboard2
i've never understood why restaurants don't have to pay their employees minimum wage. Does anyone know? I always leave a tip, but I feel I'm paying for my meal and also helping to pay the wages of the staff. Why is that fair that restaurant owners can do this?

taxes and regulations.... basically

2nd

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFO1414
reply to post by ownbestenemy

I'm repostimg the pic as it wasn't working for me plus adding a source. The pic I'm trying to post isn't working either but click the link and you'll see the bill....This guy disgusts me and hopefully the waitress is compensated by her employer in some way.

I never claimed to think the guy to be person of the year or anything. I was mentioning that we are all sitting here drumming up the Us v. Them mentality without even knowing if

A: The receipt/incident was real
B: The server was a complete wreck
C: A joke (cruel) or
D: A staged event.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

You do know that wait staff only make like 2.35 and hour, and have to tip others out of what they are tipped?

it is not gratuity, it is so you can tip based on how well they do. To say that it is optional makes you just as bad as the banker that is mentioned.

If you can afford to go out to eat, you can afford to tip.
edit on 25-2-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

I most certainly tip -- but my internal tip counter begins with your first "Hello". I have left small tips because of horrible wait service, but honestly...it is a tip. I am not obligated, unless the restaurant has informed me that gratuity will be included, to leave anything.

I am sorry that wait staff receive so little, but I am supposed to be giving a tip regardless of good/bad service?

Edit to Add:

Apparently you do not know the definition of "gratuity" so I will help you out.

something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip

Wait....so just because I chose to go out to eat and allow someone else make me food (in which I am paying for) I am obligated to give extra money? But please do explain how, given the posted definition of what gratuity is, does that not make it optional?

Seriously, do you even try to comprehend or critically think about what you write?
edit on 26-2-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Word of wisdom
Never annoy the staff at a restaurant before you get your food

and never annoy the staff at a restaurant after you get your food if you ever plan on returning.

No doubt this guy is eating far more than just what he ordered if he is returning to the same restaurants.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Word of wisdom

and never annoy the staff at a restaurant after you get your food if you ever plan on returning.

No doubt this guy is eating far more than just what he ordered if he is returning to the same restaurants.

After a stunt (if this was true) like that... I doubt he'd return....

However he's in his legal right to not tip.. or give 1% in the sheer irony of all this..

Like I said before I hope its true cuz it's really funny imo :-D

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire

Word of wisdom

However he's in his legal right to not tip.. or give 1% in the sheer irony of all this..

Of course he is in his legal right to do this
And as a thinking man, surely he realizes actions tend to have consequences.

As far as funny..not really catching the humor overall. Fuel to the fire of wealth disparity...its things like this that make people want to increase tax rates for social programs...it shows the disconnect between politicians insisting the top earners are also generous spenders (trickle down), and the reality of the situation.

The biggest tippers are generally middle class folks whom appreciate the way society runs.

Finally, its the right of the owner of the restaurant to simply refuse service to this man should he (stupidly) try to go back in the same restaurant.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

I never claimed to think the guy to be person of the year or anything. I was mentioning that we are all sitting here drumming up the Us v. Them mentality without even knowing if

A: The receipt/incident was real
B: The server was a complete wreck
C: A joke (cruel) or
D: A staged event.

i think we should be drumming the us Vs them mentality.. daily, and as often as possible with the society we live in today.
..and i don't mean us as poor Vs them as rich.. i mean us as honest decent caring people Vs them as ignorant greedy plagues of mankind caring for only themselves.
they come in all shapes, sizes, and wealth.. and i personally wish every one of them gone

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Word of wisdom

Of course he is in his legal right to do this
And as a thinking man, surely he realizes actions tend to have consequences.

As far as funny..not really catching the humor overall. Fuel to the fire of wealth disparity...its things like this that make people want to increase tax rates for social programs...it shows the disconnect between politicians insisting the top earners are also generous spenders (trickle down), and the reality of the situation.

The biggest tippers are generally middle class folks whom appreciate the way society runs.

Finally, its the right of the owner of the restaurant to simply refuse service to this man should he (stupidly) try to go back in the same restaurant.

That's why I find it funny... Because there is a HUGE stink over this... BUT if it was the other way around all the hippies would come out of the wood work in order to support the 99% not allowing the 1% into the restaurant.. WHICH is what you are just saying "Wealth Disparity"...

So..... I think its funny that this thing has caused SUCH a stink... If i got bad service I wouldn't tip 15%... period, but theres no thread on the 99% leaving the 99% a 1% tip..

hypocrisy that's why its funny!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

That's why I find it funny... Because there is a HUGE stink over this... BUT if it was the other way around all the hippies would come out of the wood work in order to support the 99% not allowing the 1% into the restaurant.. WHICH is what you are just saying "Wealth Disparity"...

So..... I think its funny that this thing has caused SUCH a stink... If i got bad service I wouldn't tip 15%... period, but theres no thread on the 99% leaving the 99% a 1% tip..

hypocrisy that's why its funny!

What?
Hippies? huh?
And erm...ok, so if you get bad service, you leave nothing.
this was a 1% for purposes of making a point, not about the actual service.
As far as someone not allowed into a restaurant..thats the choice of the owners. Surely you have seen the no wife beater shirts, no sneakers, etc type things here and there.. There is not much of a fuss made on that.

I have attended many a gentlemen's bars where only the top wage earners have membership. Again, no fuss made there.

This isn't about someone making lots of money, the 99% idea is about a system that caters almost exclusively to the top wage earners at the expense of the rest...this is done through superpac's, import/export laws that favor outsourcing, loopholes making a person able to pay less percent taxes than someone making a middle income, etc...aka, the unfairness of the system.

But..ok..erm, laugh. Some people are easily amused I suppose. Keep calling anyone whom casts an eye on the inequality as a hippy or any other dismissive term..let them eat cake.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

not a matter of equality these people are mad at others for having more... That's called greed

2nd... It's still hilarious.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies
This is actually a win for the 99%
Because the next time he eats there, they will spit in his food.. Or worse hopefully.

Don't mess with the cook or waitress....

BTW isn't waitress a REAL job? I kind of see this as a setup though...either the guy is a total ass, or it was planned out.

I also don't see the connection with 1% as in what was the point....
edit on 26-2-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join