It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shaving,Sometimes older is better

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Thanks for the tip. I tried finding inexpensive blades a couple of years ago, and somehow didn't find that site. I'd love to have enough blades for the rest of my life; I'd give up the 99-centers right now.

I haven't been able to find any kind of blades at Walmart--or, for that matter, any other store. It's possible the State considers them too dangerous for us children and had them removed from the shelves. Thanks, Mommy Government!

edit on 2/24/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

Done! MD Barber Supply: 200 blades for $17.69!
edit on 2/25/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The last time I was using an electric razor, it was tearing my face apart (this was, admittedly, in1970).
I've been using the safety razor, apart from beard-growing phases, ever since.
I thought at first you might be talking about the age of the blade. I use blades as long as they will work, because the new ones always cut me. (I tend to use disposables, and not dispose of them).

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
My grandfather still uses his old army shaving kit from the 40's,swears by it and wont touch any other razor,its near identical to the OP's.Not sure where he gets the blades though,the supermarkets around here are just all disposable or mach 3 types

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScottishBiker420
Not sure where he gets the blades though,the supermarkets around here are just all disposable or mach 3 types

[/url]Durby Double Edge Blades

On of the top blades available.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by paleorchid13
far I've just been working with the feather blades which are good .

Feather blades are made by a medical company in Japan they are considered the sharpest you can buy.
edit on 2/27/2012 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Yeah these disposable or semi disposable blades make me sick. By the razor for 17.00 and then 4 blades for 15.00. First each garbage cartage had one blade, worked fine....then two, three, four, five now they vibrate and lubricate your face because they know the junk in the shaving can they sell doesn't do the job. Money, money money.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Still have one of those classic razors in the cupboard.

I started with it pretty late in my shaving progression. It was mainly to save money, since disposable razors are extremely expensive. A guy in security at a shopping mall here once told me that they were one of the most commonly stolen items, and part of the price was actually to recover the cost of the pilfering!

Back then a family member came from Europe with a magnetic device that is supposed to keep the razor blades sharp.

He swears it works, but I wonder.

I have a beard now anyway, and maybe because I got the cheapest equipment, those blades didn't agree with my skin.
edit on 25-2-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I dont know....Venus works amazingly well....

....just sayin'

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I figured I'd jump in on this testosterone fest. In case another lady happens to read this thread, a little advice...never ever ever ever put a razor to your face!!! My friend at work decided to go the lazy route and shave her face, and now she gets a 5 o' clock shadow. That is almost as bad as women who do not take care of their facial hair. There is a reason wax was invented. Use it.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Just read your comment. Venus is awesome! For our legs.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I found out that instead of shaving cream, use hair conditioner. You will get a clean, close comfortable shave and no razor burn, less nicks and cuts. Try it once and see, don't use cheap conditioner.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Anyone switch to a gentleman's way of shaving?

As a 18 year old I played around with a straight razor but liked this setup best.

It's what I currently use, nothing compares if done properly. Hope some of you give it a try.

Edwin Jagger Double Edge Razor De89lbl

100% Pure Badger Bristle Shaving Brush

Colonel Conk Evernice Model 775 Chrome Safety Razor Stand

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Stainless Shaving Lather Bowl

Nice topic King. I switched 2 yrs ago & have never looked back to the carts.
I dumped my EJ89dl & Merkur slant for vintage Gillette Flair Tips & Schick Kronas.
My bathroom cabinet is packed full of everything from Mitchell's Wool Fat to La Toja.
The TOBS is great stuff. Glad to see some younger gentlemen not falling for the
5 blades or whatever it's up to now marketing hype.

Oh, a link for you:
Badger & Blade

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I don't fall for 5 blades, too expensive.

I'm a youngster who prefers to buy a 15 pack of razors for 99p and always gets my military style boots for under £20. Don't see the point in buying expensive crap.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Man, my pops used to use a DE when I was a kid and I thought it was the coolest thing. I actually have been considering one lately; funny how I'd run into this thread. The only thing that's been keeping me from closing the deal... TIME!

I'm a shave-in-the-shower guy myself because I actually feel the hot water and steam that bombards me helps with the landscaping. It's very rare for me to shave over the vanity - I can see that it would take time to steam my face, then to whip up the lather... I can see doing that for date night, but man, every other day at 5 in the morning?

I hardly ever use this word, but I HATE the sh!tty razors that are on the shelves today. They do the job right out of the package, but after the 3rd run, they absolutely SUCK!

Anyone switch to a gentleman's way of shaving?

Yeah, I just did... this topic has been in my head for the past 3 weeks or so... this thread just sold me. Way to go kinglizard. Cheers!

~philthy

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
That's some classy shaving op

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by the_philth

Hey I'm glad you decided to give it a try. I use my setup in the shower too. I have one of those fog free mirrors and a shelf for all the shaving equipment...works well for me. When I start the shower I just fill my lather bowl with really hot water and soak the brush until I'm done showering and then I dump it so now the brush is saturated and the bowl is warm.

Let us know how it goes.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Let us know how it goes.

Ok... here goes...

I totally forgot I had ordered an Edwin Jagger DE last week in which to my surprise, it was sitting in my mailbox yesterday (Wed.) afternoon!

Ok so, for the majority of time, I’m a morning shaver --- every other day, in the shower, it’s the last thing I do. I really wanted to try it out as soon as I got it, but I knew it had to wait till morning.

Come morning time – I’m ready! Man, I’ve been letting this mold grow on my face for three months now – it’s my winter coat, but it grows back fast so, if I want to keep the scruff, I'll just grow it back; but in the meantime... arrivederci Chia Face!

Out of the (almost-thirty) years I‘ve been using conventional razors, I never once nicked myself! This morning, it finally happened! Good thing for me, I only Ginsu’d a minor speed bump on my cheek which didn’t bleed all that much after the cold water splash!

Well, I’ve gotta admit, as soon as I dried up (and blow-dried my new DE), I tossed my Gillette Mach 3 Turbo (pfft!) on top of the dead Chia pile that was sitting in my waste basket --- gave the guy in the mirror the wink and a finger pistol --- and I was ready to face the day!

Now I’m walking around as if I’m wearing a 450 thread count Armani! Hmm, but that suit doesn’t really go with my Dr. Martens Oxfords, so I digress… No more Hemingway look for the Philthy one… and no more turning back to… hmm, (scratches head) what was I using to shave with before???

Thanks again for pushing me over the top to convince me to finally get myself a safety razor!

Cheers to the Team ATS Hairy Faces for the inspiration and motivation!

~philthy

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by the_philth

That's great philthy!

I'm so glad it worked out for you. There are times I'm in a rush to shave and being used to modern razors I tend to push too hard with the safety razor...well last week I did anyway. I have to remind myself to let the weight of the razor do the work. I used a styptic pencil but it wasn't Working very well. I never used one and am thinking I did something wrong. Maybe I'm supposed to just hold the pencil on the nick for a time...or wet it...not sure.

Also I find that shaving cream from a can isn't that effective. The lather you make yourself with a brush is 1000 times better. I haven't tried the glycerin based lather but will soon though I'm kinda addicted to my current sandalwood.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join