It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shaving,Sometimes older is better

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Anyone switch to a gentleman's way of shaving?

As a 18 year old I played around with a straight razor but liked this setup best.

It's what I currently use, nothing compares if done properly. Hope some of you give it a try.

Edwin Jagger Double Edge Razor De89lbl

100% Pure Badger Bristle Shaving Brush

Colonel Conk Evernice Model 775 Chrome Safety Razor Stand

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Stainless Shaving Lather Bowl

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

I stick with the Mach III...

Only problem is the price of razors is greater then gold these days...

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
i remember being a kid and my grandfather had this set up for shaving. Now i use an electric shaver and its basically crap. The cut throat razors are suppose to be best though i don't think i would feel to comfortable using one around my jugular. An old barbers i used to go to used one on the back of the neck, i always sat perfectly still and was affriad he would cut me, though i never heard of the old dog cutting anyone, ever. Guess you get used to doing, might take a while a a sore face first

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Decent reason to switch. I bought a 100 pack derby extra double blades for under $10.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I hate shaving, have not touched a razor since I was 17 or so. Nature gave me a beard, why waste money and time to look any different. I trim with a pair of scissors/buzzer. I havent gone to a barber since then either, grow it to my shoulders, buzz it bald, repeat.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thedarktower

lol I remember my dad used to take me to a really old school barber, I was scared to death when he pulled that blade out, and sure enough, the old man always nicked me.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedarktower
i remember being a kid and my grandfather had this set up for shaving. Now i use an electric shaver and its basically crap. The cut throat razors are suppose to be best though i don't think i would feel to comfortable using one around my jugular. An old barbers i used to go to used one on the back of the neck, i always sat perfectly still and was affriad he would cut me, though i never heard of the old dog cutting anyone, ever. Guess you get used to doing, might take a while a a sore face first

tbh ive not put a razor to my face for about 5 yrs
i grow it for a week
and then go over it with my old remington hair clipper

yrs ago wen i was about 20
there was an old indian barber shop hed shave my head
and then level it with a cut throat
he was in 70s and in the shop he had a 1920s radio playing an old station
anyway that closed down yrs ago
and just recently a shop opend offering wet towell shaves near me
i might give them a try

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I think it's time you guys started pampering yourselves a little. I do, every day. Pamper pamper pamper.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I own two hierloom straight edges, the shave with these is like nothing else.

If interested in striagt edge shaving check out this sight:The Badger and Blade, this is a forum for experienced and in-experienced DE and straight edge users. There is a huge amount of really great advice and vast array of product reviews.

Just a warning Straight edge shaving is a time consuming process along with the care of your blades, but it can also be rewarding and relaxing.
edit on 24-2-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
i got one of these as a groomsman gift. Its weighted perfectly so that you just let gravity do the work and you get a perfect shave every time. problem is I cant find where to get replacement blades.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I use just about the same stuff as the OP.

I use a blue Gillette razor handle from 1963 so I'm sure its built well, Wilkinson Platinum DE razors, a Wilkinson brush, William shaving soap, and Aqua Velva Musk after shave.

Nothing beats the feel of the hot shave soap and the sound of and all metal razor smoothly slicing the hairs from your face. It makes you feel like a king.. every time

Here's a (strange) shaving video I did that I'm sure will please many of the "weirder" ATS people lol..

I used Barbasol in the video to add to the grittiness and 70s Duel style I was going for, but usually I dont use that junk unless I'm traveling.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
think after watching a few vids and reading a few comments i might just switch to an old fashioned DE like my papa did

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
i hate shaving and i hate shaving cream, i shave in the shower like once a week

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
i hate having a smooth face. i shave with these tiny clippers i got
edit on 24-2-2012 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I started out shaving with a straight razor, even though it was pretty much a geezer practice even then (early '60s). When I went into the Navy in '68 I started using the so-called "safety" razor, like your setup. I still have one now, but the blades are getting too expensive to bother with anymore. So I mostly now use 99-cent-store razors--about 12 for a dollar--and toss 'em after a couple of shaves.

ETA: I do love the feel of a double-edge blade. It's like comfort-food. In fact, as fishticon says, it does make you feel like a king....
edit on 2/24/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlord
i hate shaving and i hate shaving cream, i shave in the shower like once a week

I can honestly say I'm the exact same way. I grow facial hair so flippin' fast, that I'm sick of shaving. So most of the time, I just look scruffy. Been told quite a few times that I look good that way, so it's a win-win.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Brother:
link won't work but search [url=Amazon.com]url] for Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades, 100 Count

100 double edge Derby blades considered one of the best and it's under $10.....you can shave for the rest of your like on a $10 purchase.

Stay away from walmart blades though.
edit on 2/24/2012 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/24/2012 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I hate shaving but it's funny, I also like having different styles of beard.

When I was 14, I had a thick goatee that hung over my throat, upper lip shaved ovbiously (that's what I refer to when I say goatee, not the traditional style associated with the term)

18 years old, I had a goatee that reached my chest and I'd tie it up or plait it.

I've also had the Lemmy beard, Jeff Hardy beard, full beard, handlebar mustache, the Paul Teutel Sr style. Dyed it blonde, purple, had a strip of hair on my chin, you name it.

Don't like being clean shaven at all, my face looks weird if I am.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Actually I just bought me a safety razor ..works great for the ladies too!
I got a variety pack of razors to experiment with the different brands of razors..so far I've just been working with the feather blades which are good .

I read the history of Gillette and all these expensive double , triple razors are just a scam ..they waste money and plastic. Haven't tried the straight razor yet , but I am on the hunt for a nice shave ready one for my man.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join