It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Article with photos from Then & Now + more lies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I didn't see that this had been posted yet. It's disturbing not only because of the photos, but because the article continues on with more lies about the level of radiation in the area. So, as vigilant ATSers who are well aware of the radiation levels, how are we to believe the photos haven't been altered to make it look better?

Are there any ATSers out there that can verify that these photos are legit?

Then and now: stunning photos from the Japan tsunami zone

www.kirotv.com...

Nearly a year has passed since last March's earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

The Atlantic has posted stunning comparison photographs taken during or just after the disaster to scenes captured more recently.

Many show considerable progress has been made in rebuilding the affected areas, while other locations still have tremendous damage still evident.

Link to photos: www.theatlantic.com...
Photo #3 shows that there's still a boat lying beside the street.

Photo #7 is interesting because the towers in the background weren't harmed at all apparently. Also, the tree partically hidden by the building on the right side of the photo looks the same as it does in the first photo.
In photo #9, I'm surprised that they didn't have to tear down that building. You would've thought that mildew would have devastated it after being completely flooded.
Honestly, the photos are just plain awesome. Especially since you can click on them and send yourself to the past and present over and over again quickly to compare different parts very easily. One thing that I found interesting is the amount of photos that now include power lines where none existed previously. Was this because they used the nuclear power before and now had to rely on different methods?

You just have to wonder where all that debris went, which leads us into the second part of the article.

New study on debris field shows continued radiation contamination unlikely

Researchers have studied the possibility of radiation contamination from the damaged Fukushima nuclear reactor on debris likely to wash ashore along the Pacific Northwest in the coming months.

The scientists from Oregon State University say there is no cause for concern from radiation.

Any levels present in beached debris should be below limits considered hazardous.

There are a lot of misconceptions about radioactivity,” said Kathryn Higley, professor and head of the Department of Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Health Physics at OSU.

“Many people believe that if it can be measured, it’s harmful. But we live in a world of radiation coming to us from the sun, or naturally present in the earth, or even from our own bodies."

Hazardous radiation contamination received in the disaster, Higley notes, should have been washed away or decayed on its own.

Residents along the Pacific Northwest should be cautious for other hazards from debris, such as sharp objects or harmful chemicals that might still be enclosed in containers or vessels.

So, if you're in California, your biggest concern is sharp objects and other chemicals, but definitely NOT radiation. Nice to know. Thanks for the reassurance. I'm just wondering how radiation is washed away or decays on its own when it has a half life of 1,000 years.

edit on 24-2-2012 by Afterthought because: text format

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I wonder if people have been looting, I'm sure there are mounds of good engines, the shell from that jet, copper, etc. Or are people scared about the radiation in the objects, like you quoted in your post.
edit on 24-2-2012 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I'm not so sure there was much looting, but if there was I'm wondering who they would've sold the stuff to? I think most people were entering homes that were two stories and mostly looking for jewelery and other valuables. I can only imagine that the military and government were only interested in the jet engines and such.

I'm sure that the people of Japan are very concerned about the radiation, but the article is mostly focused on the debris that is going to wash up on California's coast if it hasn't already. I certainly wouldn't be going anywhere near that stuff if I saw it sitting on the beach.
edit on 24-2-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

To be honest, the debris washing up in Vancouver and cali etc. Is the least of my worries. If that physical object is washing up with radiation, just imagine the air, and water itself, the fish, everything- I know here in Canada, there is a nuclear plant not to far from me, and go figure it is also on a fault line- This is a conspiracy forum so I will say what others have pointed out, the nuclear plants look like a kill switch for any region, if the technology does in fact exist to create an earthquake, you can have global supremacy. I wish I could find a vid for you, basically its an hour or two lecture by a woman who's job is specifically planning where to place plants, she speaks about how many of her co-workers and scientists warned about the locations of fukushima and others. - If I find it I will post it up.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

Yes, it is quite obvious that the west coast is getting ats fair share of radiation in the air and water. My sister lives in Virginia where they had their quake and they now have radiation in their ground water from a nuke plant five miles from them. The officials are trying to tell everyone that they don't beleive its coming from the plant. I think the entire area needs to sue since the "knowledgable" officials removed the safety devices within the plant "to save money" in the early 90s since they didn't believe they were necessary since there hadn't been any quakes in almost 100 years. Totally pathetic. They just don't have the cajones to admit where they screwed up.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Admiting you screwed up is no cost effective- I think in years to come, knowledge will show the pandemic disregard for citizens, effects of power lines, effects of fracking, effects of getting dirty oil, and lets not forget GMO`s- There wont be anyone left to sue then.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

It's just a shame that this topic isn't getting more attention. The amount of radiation in our atmosphere from Fukushima is staggering. I bet if it weren't invisible to the naked eye, people would actually be paying attention and demanding that we switch to a cleaner, safer power supply like hydrogen. Sure, hydrogen is very explosive, but at least if something went wrong at the plant, it wouldn't contaminate the entire globe.

join