It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto police officer charged with murder

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Thanks for finding it, I guess I could have done that myself- The guy could have died, its quite serious. I'm glad he was fired, I'm not sure where I stand on whether or not charges could/should have been laid.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Unity_99

What he should have done is called in back up, giving a description of the person and location, and pursued.

They were raiding the house of the victim. Backup was already there...

Well then... pursuit, without lethal force. That is something you can only do if someone is endangering you directly and only still under certain conditions.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Life is 1/3 the sentence, basically. It is not life in Canada. First degree can carry life sentences, which are 25 years, and again, 1/3 the sentence.

Only if a person is declared a really dangerous category of repeat offender, can they get what is called an indefinite sentence. That is reserved for mainly psychopaths. And even then, they legally have to be retested frequently and can still be released within a few years. In fact, victims assistance said something like, average stay is 8 years for indefinite sentences.

One of the most dangerous ways a serial killer gets released early, is, by copping the insanity plea and going to an institute instead of prison.

In that case, a psychopath, who is not insane, and can pass the tests for insanity easily, goes into an institution, where he has to be frequently retested, and of course he can pass the tests. This was called the revolving door a while back.
edit on 24-2-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Life is 1/3 the sentence, basically. It is not life in Canada. First degree can carry life sentences, which are 25 years, and again, 1/3 the sentence.

No, you are mistaken. 1st and 2nd degree murder charges automatically carry life sentences. With 1st, it is 25 years before eligible to go for parole -no 1/3.

With 2nd degree, it is either a sentence from 10-25 years without eligibility until that time is up, no 1/3.

Serving your minimum period and reaching parole eligibility does not automatically grant you access to the community.

And after eligibility comes, it is not a guarantee that an offender will be released. It only acts as an opening where they are able to go for parole review. There are plenty of people doing time long after their eligibility dates. Life is life in Canada.

You also referenced the dangerous offender designation. Where someone is automatically reviewed every 7 years but no guarantee to be released. These offenders serve indefinite sentences and even if they were to be released, have to prove why they are allowed to stay out every 2 years, while already being granted status in the community. This designation however, is used to lock people away and toss the key, so-to-speak.

Link

More

From the Parole Board of Canada:

Myth 10: A life sentence in Canada means that offenders only have to serve 25 years before they are released.

Link

This is why Harper is so effective at pushing crime bills through, because the public has no idea how even the current system works....

edit on 24-2-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

Why isn't the piglet being remanded in custody awaiting trial like anyone else would be.

Propably doesn't even have bail conditions on him.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join