It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

56 Interesting facts about Left-Handedness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
facts.randomhistory.com...

Some of my favorites:

#8. When I was born apparently the umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck and my head was purple, LOL.

#13. Sinister...

#16. I did not know that.. Stupid righties...

#26. I knew I wasn't a fan of the Bible for some reason...

#30. Lol,, Cawk-fisted..

edit on 2/24/12 by ideasarebulletproof because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

20: Many artistic representations of the devil show him to be left-handed.b

May i suggest as a fellow Lefty, that this Devil fellow the Christians seem to believe in is just being given a bad rap due to the Christians obvious bias towards us Lefties?

28: Although approximately 90% of all humans are right-handed,

I smell a vast religious conspiracy against us Lefties! We are after all, the 10%!

EDIT: i was mostly being sarcastic on the conspiracy lol just fyi on that lol

edit on 24-2-2012 by roaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Power to the LEFTIES!

35. Left-handedness runs in families. Lefties in the British royal family include the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and Prince William.b

Oh no..

27. In many Islamic countries, people are forbidden to eat with their left hand, which is considered “unclean” because it is used for cleaning the body after defecation. Additionally, “public display” or use of the left hand is against the law in some Islamic countries, including Saudi Arabia.d

This is very true.

I've even heard of Muslims shaking hands with their left hand if you are not also a Muslim..Though I think that only goes on in some circles lol.

& probably my favourite:

55. Some scientists have suggested that left-handers were originally in the womb with a twin that did not survive, or a “Vanishing Twin.”b

edit on 24-2-2012 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I am left handed and I have found that many skilful painters and mark makers are left handed. I personally think it is a matter of the psyche of being an alternative rather than biology.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
hi op

im a lefty
after research
leftys in the past were burnt at the stake
and in the not so distant past
catholic schools would either tied the left hand behind their back
or rapped them with cane every chance they got

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
im left handed and proud of it!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ideasarebulletproof

excellent post very interesting, i'm genuinely amazed at the things my left hand can't do yet my right does with ease (strumming a guitar, writing, throwing a dart the list could go on, typing is another, as i type this right now i bet that my right hand is doing at least 90% of the work) not sure if there is some sort of conspiracy about people who are left handed (i bet there is though) but the royal family members that are left handed is a bit strange. but then again i look for conspiracy everywhere and subsequently i need evidence to back it up but i couldn't even begin to speculate at a left handed conspiracy. which hand people use isn't really an issue to me, but then again i live in a world of the majority.

edit on 24/2/2012 by josephamccoy because: add last sentance

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The percentage of lefthanders in the armed forces is disproportionate to the population percentage, it would suggest that lefthanders are well disposed to the military way of life
your thoughts

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
The percentage of lefthanders in the armed forces is disproportionate to the population percentage, it would suggest that lefthanders are well disposed to the military way of life
your thoughts

I present to you the last part of #19

19: Scholars note that despite these maladies, left-handers have survived because they are traditionally successful in combat.b

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

At various times in history, left-handedness has been seen as many things: a nasty habit, a mark of the devil, a sign of neurosis, rebellion, criminality, and homosexuality. It has also been seen as a trait indicating creativity and musical abilities.

Basically, people can see we do everything differently but can't seem to put their finger on why, and dub us counter culture. Do everything better and be way more popular and awesome! That's the solution to this one Also, since our right-hemispheric brains are creative enough to do music a little better, well that's a plus.

Some scholars note that left-handers may be one of the last unorganized minorities in society because they have no collective power and no real sense of common identity. Additionally, left-handers are often discriminated against by social, educational, and religious institutions. Social customs and even language set the left-hander apart as “different” and even “bad.”

As if being half black and half white wasn't enough to alienate me, now this too? Oh wait, still don't care!

The word left is from the Anglo-Saxon lyft, meaning weak or broken

The Oxford English Dictionary defines left-handed as meaning crippled, defective, awkward, clumsy, inapt, characterized by underhanded dealings, ambiguous, doubtful, questionable, ill-omened, inauspicious, and illegitimate.

All that?? Well damn, guess I can't afford oxford because they fear my potential!!

Research has shown a link between trauma during gestation or during birth with an increased chance of being left-handed.

Odd!!! My older brother who's also left handed came out fat and ended up skinny, I almost killed my mom cause I tried to come out feet first!!!

Tests conducted by St. Lawrence University in New York found that there were more left-handed people with IQs over 140 than right-handed people. Famous left-handed intellectuals include Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, and Benjamin Franklin.

I'd rather wear a wreath of franklins than sacrifice the life of others for my own weakness like Einstein did!!
get it?

(aretha franklin
)

Mothers who are over 40 at the time of a child’s birth are 128% more likely to have a left-handed baby than a woman in her 20s.

1/28 Is my birthday. My mother was 30, my father was 40 when I was born.

The Incas thought left-handers were capable of healing and that they possessed magical abilities. The North American Zuni tribe believed left-handedness signified good luck.

Cool. _javascript:icon('
')

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Studies suggest premature babies are more likely to be left-handed. Additionally, infants with low Apgar scores at birth are more likely to be left-handed than children who have higher Apgar scores.b

Some scientists have suggested that left-handers were originally in the womb with a twin that did not survive, or a “Vanishing Twin.”b

Both of these apply to my daughter, however I doubt either one to be the reason since my other left handed children can't claim these as reasons. Being left handed just tends to run on both sides of the family.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
i used to get a hard time at school in the early 70s because i used my left hand for writing one teacher used to tie it behind my back . im a painter & decorator and notice a lot of blokes are lefties i can use both hands well but at times i dont know which hand to write with also have a bit of a habbit with saying things backwards which i believe stems from school & stoping me using left hand

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
My Girlfriend is a lefty....It all makes sense now

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
#57 Metal Gear Solid is the greatest game series of all time.

It's weird thinking that all the tools are made for right-handed people, but in construction and regular actions like opening refrigerator doors, we just adjust. Either with incredible swag or some awkwardness, or a bit of both.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ideasarebulletproof

We know that left is associated with SINISTER.

So why focus on the hand? This is probably something the righty's made up years ago....

Shouldn't we be more worried about people who are LEFT-BRAINED?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FinalAccount2008
#57 Metal Gear Solid is the greatest game series of all time.

Indeed it is!

It was funny just today my girlfriend hurt her thumb on her right hand, so she had to use her left for certain things and had a hell of time doing it. So inevitably I had to make the comment, "Now you know how I feel"

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
As we live in a right handed world most of us lefties are to some degree ambidextrous, just shows how we can adapt to our environment. I myself can do every thing with either hand just as well, except writing but im dyslexic so writing is just hard.
My sexy hippy chick is a lefty too and our house is set up for us, one of my favourite pastimes is watching my right handed mates making a cup of tea in my left handed kitchen, its a bit like bambi on ice.

new topics

top topics

join