It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yemen protesters celebrate end of Saleh's rule, new president to be sworn in Saturday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Yemen will swear in its new president Saturday, cementing a power transfer deal reached in November to end months of protests and violence over outgoing leader Ali Abdullah Saleh's longtime rule.

Abdurabu Mansur Hadi -- who served as Saleh's vice president and then became acting president in November in an agreement brokered by the Gulf Cooperation Council -- is expected to be sworn in Saturday in front of Yemen's parliament.

Hadi received 99.8% of the 6.6 million votes cast in Tuesday's election, according to Mohmmad Hassan al-Hakimi, chairman of the Supreme Committee for Elections and Referendum.

Protests and violence have been going on in Yemen since early last year. There have been military defections and gunbattles in the streets of Yemen's cities during the course of the protests, but finally president Saleh is out. Hopefully the new president does good for the people.

I have to say that some of the videos from Yemen have realled "awed" me. Some of these protests were the largest I have ever seen. The one below is from the middle of 2011 I believe.

ETA - The reason Hadi got 99.8% of the vote, was because he was the only candidate on the ballot I believe
edit on 24-2-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

join