It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon's Belief and Practice of Wearing Protective (Magical) Underwear: What!?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
There is so much incorrect information regarding The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - - - its often difficult to find real facts.

FACTS: The sacred garments are for those who have qualified to go to temple. Those who CHOOSE to follow and live their life at the highest level of their faith.

Known to some is the fact that members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (or Mormon Church) wear a special kind of underwear in connection with their religion. This is true of most faithful adult members of the Church. (Mormon children are generally dressed the same as any other children.) The special underwear is called a "garment" by Mormons, and it is directly related to Mormon temples. www.ldschurchtemples.com...

Origins

In 1842, just two months after being initiated into Freemasonry, Joseph Smith introduced the wearing of garments to a select group of men. On Wednesday, May 4th, 1842, Joseph Smith initiated nine men into his new inner-circle called the "Holy Order," the "Quorum," the "Holy Order of the Holy Priesthood," or the "Quorum of the Anointed." This ritual would later come to be known as the LDS temple endowment.

Ceremonial markings on the garment were originally snipped into the cloth as part of the man's washing and anointing ceremony. This helped keep the markings secret from those who had not been through the ritual, including the women who sewed the garments. These marks made during the endowment were much more prominent than the marks in garments today. www.i4m.com...

Annee, the garments come during Endowment, not during Temple Recommend.

You should have been wearing your garments before getting into the secret parts of the temple. (I've been in a few temples before they were christened or whatever, they are freaking cool and scary inside.)

Just for the record I have lived in Utah (Salt Lake City) most of my life, many of my friends are practicing Mormons (return missionaries, those that hold the priesthood, etc) and I was baptized at either 12 or 13 (hard to remember, but it wasn't 8 like the other Mormons, my parents wanted me to choose) and I attended LDS Church until I was 17.

I knew long before I stopped going that I didn't believe it, but I stayed for the same reasons I joined - my friends.
edit on 27-2-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Thank you so very much for your reply.

Hopefully, there are no undergarment police.

Oh my ... so not having them on at all times is considered a sin in their eyes?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Seeker, yes, they are required to wear them.

Mormons start wearing their garments once they are endowed and it's recommended they wear them at all times.

Not every Mormon chooses to be endowed or go to Temple. It is a choice. Not every Mormon is a Devout Mormon.

As I said earlier - - and as information provides - - Only those who CHOOSE to follow all the requirements to get a Recommend - - are allowed in the Temple (not the visitors area). Garments are one of the requirements at this level of the Mormon faith. One CHOOSES to live their faith at this level.

The Endowment is part of the Temple Ceremony. You first have to qualify to enter the Temple.

Since you have to be 18 to go to Temple and wear garments - - - you never officially qualified. As you said - - you were inside a temple for other reasons.
edit on 27-2-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerLou
Oh my ... so not having them on at all times is considered a sin in their eyes?

Do you honestly think Mormon's wear their garments to the beach?

Do you honestly think all Mormon women wear only evening dresses that cover up the garment?

Do you think Marie Osmond was wearing garments under some of the costumes she wore on her show?

Yes there are some extreme devout Mormon's that probably wear garments at all times.

Let's be real.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Annee you are technically right - but it is known that all Mormons are expected to get to this level. And yes, you are endowed in the temple, but you have very limited access at that time. The endowment ceremony is what allows you to enter and marry in the temple.

Of course it's a choice, just like you choose to never live with members of the opposite sex. If you choose otherwise, you are excommunicated.

I know PLENTY of UTAH MORMONS and they all wear their garments ALL THE TIME. Of course here in Utah, it's probably more acceptable to see someone's garments slip out beneath their swimwear than in other places.
They make garments for swimsuits, too. They make garments for short dresses. So yeah, any real Mormon would be wearing their garments 100% of the time. Official LDS doctrine states that you should dress modestly, and avoid clothes that do not allow for wearing your garments. The only time you can go without is when swimming, and even then alot still wear their garments.

I am friends with Utah Mormon boys.. They wear the things camping, hunting, swimming, golfing, dancing, sleeping.. I know some rather rebellious Mormons who will walk around the house in nothing but their garments (they are see through, by the way!)

Every little Mormon girl and boy are taught from an early age that if they want to spend eternity with their partner they MUST be sealed in the temple - so while it's a choice (everything is a choice), it's pretty much mandated if you want to please God and earn a chance to live with your soulmate in Heaven with your Heavenly Father.

And yeah, it is a little weird but again most religions have some odd little aspect that many people will think is strange.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Annee you are technically right - but it is known that all Mormons are expected to get to this level. And yes, you are endowed in the temple, but you have very limited access at that time. The endowment ceremony is what allows you to enter and marry in the temple.

Yes - - I was married in the Temple.

Utah Mormons - - are kind of like the Southern Baptist Fundamentalists.

Non-Utah Mormons even get annoyed with them.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

They make garments for swimsuits, too.

Please show me garments for swimsuits.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by SeekerLou

I'll admit. Have wondered if Mitt Romney sports this nifty attire......

Des

This is especially for you.

Mormon Underwear

THE SACRED UNDERWEAR OF MITT ROMNEY

Personal Preparation for Temple Blessings, Ensign (CR), May 2001, p.32
Elder Russell M. Nelson, Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

www.truthandgrace.com...
-----------------

To Anne:
Joy Behar, “Explain the magic underwear to me, cuz that I don’t know about.” Donny replied, “You know, I’d rather not. I’ll tell you why. Yes we wear…Yes, I am [wearing them]. And I’d rather not get into it because it’s not secret, it’s just so sacred.”
. blog.mrm.org...

Wearing undergarments to get into a temple?
There is no need.
When Jesus was crucified upon the cross , the veil was rent in two! breaking down the wall of partition that was against us.

We now can enter the holy of holies .

Eph 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
Eph 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
Eph 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
Eph 2:16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
Eph 2:17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
Eph 2:18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

-----

Heb 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

--------

Why put so much emphasis on sacred undergarments ? There is no need!
Mormon teaching goes against the Holy Bible. It does not compliment it, nor did it restore anything. Can you not see that what they teach are untruths. This imo is like smacking God in the face.

The more I understand their workings, the more I see their error.
Too, the garments are sold only by the LDS to LDS.
Sounds like a money making scheme to me.

We are saved by grace, and that not of ourselves, not of works lest any man should boast.

ALL believers have access to the Holy of Holies. No garments required. *except for Jesus*
And this according to the Holy Scriptures. Anyone who wishes to grow closer to the Lord and be 100% dedicated can do so.

Anyone who says that if you want to be more dedicated (get to big Temple) and that you have to BUY these garments, are feeding you a line.

Praise the Lord... we can pray straightway to the Father and have the liberty to walk as intimately as we wish.

Luk 20:46 Beware of the scribes, which desire to walk in long robes, and love greetings in the markets, and the highest seats in the synagogues, and the chief rooms at feasts;
edit on 28-2-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Joy Behar, “Explain the magic underwear to me, cuz that I don’t know about.” Donny replied, “You know, I’d rather not. I’ll tell you why. Yes we wear…Yes, I am [wearing them]. And I’d rather not get into it because it’s not secret, it’s just so sacred.”

Why are you bringing up Donny Osmond? Does he wear short strapless dresses?

When Jesus was crucified upon the cross , the veil was rent in two! breaking down the wall of partition that was against us.

That is YOUR belief. Don't quote the bible to me. I have no interest.

Was it just a ruse to make a post (in question form) about Mormon Garments - - just so you can trash their belief? The question has been answered.

You are coming into this with a mind already closed. There is no point.

Here is Joseph Smith's first experience (vision): "and while in the attitude of calling upon the Lord a pillar of light above the brightness of the sun at noonday came down from above and rested upon me and I was filled with the spirit of God and the Lord opened the heavens upon me and I saw the Lord."

And here is his 2nd (3 years later): On the night of September 21, while engaged again in prayer, a light suddenly began filling his room. Within the light there appeared an angelic being. "His whole person was glorious beyond description, and his countenance truly like lightening." www.gnosis.org...

What does that sound like to you?

Joseph Smith is an enigma. When you read about Joseph Smith - - you not only need to search for real truth - - it is also important How you read and from what perspective. A closed mind will see only what it wants to.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Of course, Donny doesn't wear strapless dresses. Do you really think I think this? So this is an ignorant question and a waste of space.

You mentioned Marie... so I looked up the brother and sister.
Thought I would bring up Donny's quote on how ''so sacred'' they were to him.

Well, Donny and Marie were born into this, having been brainwashed with this form of indoctrination from day one. Poor things. And again, no disrespect of the person. For I have always loved my uncle, still do, AND have always admired the Osmonds for they are very respectable people. The morale and character of a person, I can respect but I would never respect any doctrine of devils. This is kind of like how God loves the sinner but hates the sin. Same thing.

That is YOUR belief. Don't quote the bible to me. I have no interest.

It's a shame that you and all of the rest of the Mormon's DENY or have No interest in the Bible-and have need of a perverted one.

Oh well, we all will stand before God and give an account of our lives one day.

What does that sound like to you?

Sounds very similar to the Oral Roberts delusional visitation, another counterfeit visitation or lie.

Joseph Smith is an enigma. When you read about Joseph Smith - - you not only need to search for real truth - - it is also important How you read and from what perspective. A closed mind will see only what it wants to.

Understand what you are saying but I do know how to search out matters /truths with the help of God's Holy Spirit.
And speaking of " searching for real truth"
I have ALL of the Bible I will ever need : It needs no added sauce.

....renounce "the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. 2Co 4:2"

Psa 119:172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Of course, Donny doesn't wear strapless dresses. Do you really think I think this? So this is an ignorant question and a waste of space.

You mentioned Marie... so I looked up the brother and sister.
Thought I would bring up Donny's quote on how ''so sacred'' they were to him.

Yes - - but the immediate subject and discussion was are Mormon's required to wear garments at all times. Marie wore very revealing - short - and strapless dresses on their show. Donny wore regular men style clothes. Obviously - - has nothing to do with the immediate subject/discussion. More like a sidestep - - change the subject. We already discussed the sacred wearing of the garment - - which you made negative remarks about.

Well, Donny and Marie were born into this, having been brainwashed

I've seen "Jesus Camp".

Most humans today are assimilated by birth into a god believing environment. Its only when you step completely out of the god circle - you realize you weren't really given a choice whether you actually believed in a god or not. Different god beliefs - - all brainwashing/assimilation.

Poor things.

I was raised Christian - - married a Mormon. I'll take Mormon over Christianity any day.

doctrine of devils

And you call other people brainwashed?
edit on 28-2-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
You Mormons SAY you go by both the Bible and Mormon books , right?
But then you refuse to read what the Holy Scriptures (The Bible!) says about these things.

I have presented verses to you . Others have also pointed out truths but you refuse to see.

Thou speakest with forked tongue here.
So I can only assume, you have no need of a Bible.
Your Mormon one overides the REAL deal.

Shaking dust off my feet now.

Joh 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
Joh 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
Joh 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

The only thing that we agree on is this:
You are right.
My question has been answered.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
IMO - - Joseph Smith was way ahead of his time. I don't think even he himself fully understood the scope of what was being communicated to him. He was limited in understanding by his own timeline.

He was saying things that fit into the Spirituality of Oneness that is still emerging today. I have no doubt he was contacted. Who/What contacted him - - I can only guess.

It reminds me of Gene Roddenberry and Star Trek. Nothing has been the same since the loss of Gene. He "saw" something that others didn't. No one since has gotten the "feel" of Star Trek correct. Gene was connected to something beyond.

Those that took over after Joseph Smith's murder - - - didn't have that connection. They were just men - - and as Man - - over the years corrupted what Joseph Smith brought forth.

Instead of going in the direction of Spirituality - - - the new leaders reverted back to a more fundamental direction. So sad. What a waste.

I seriously doubt Joseph Smith would have been anti-gay.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

You Mormons SAY you go by both the Bible and Mormon books , right?
But then you refuse to read what the Holy Scriptures (The Bible!) says about these things.

When I was Mormon - - - learning/memorizing scripture was #1 priority. (KJV).

Hardly ever used/read any of the Mormon Books. The Book of Mormon is like additional history - that's all. Yes there are some differences in belief - - - but there's also something like 3500 different Christian sects. And each one of them think they are correct.

I did very much enjoy Mormons and their everyday positiveness. Over all they are (for the most part) amazing people.

As I said - - almost all humans are assimilated to believe in god from birth. I was no exception. I tried. I tried for years. I tried many different beliefs. My gramma tried to make me Catholic. Even at age 5 - - I envisioned god as a man sitting under a tree with a few people around him discussing philosophy of life. I saw god out in the sunshine - among nature - just talking with people. I looked around the Catholic church and said to my gramma: "Why does God need all this?"

If you believe in God - then "Life is God" - - - - a book is not God.
edit on 28-2-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Here let me help:

God gives life but we are not God ...we are not aLL one unit in the Christ - God conciousness if that is where you were going. Yes, God owns us all but not everyone is His child. Some choose to follow after unrighteousness and do not know Him and have not been born again. Jesus said we MUST be born again.

But living life , yes, I agree, that we witness His magestic hand in the beauty of His creation, nature, etc.

PS That is great !! that you memorized the KJV Scripture.
What happened?

Why do you refuse to read and chew on the verses I pointed out?
God's word is for reproof, correction and instruction in righteousness. ETC or did you forget the importance of KJV Scripture?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Here let me help:

God gives life but we are not God ...

No Thank you. Not interested.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I don't know if Mormons actually attribute any "powers" to the "Temple garments" - which resemble old fashioned underpants and undershirts (I've seen them and the shirts -- at least some of them (I assume some Mormons have little cottage industry making them for others - are simply Hanes/Fruit of the Loom type T-shirts with little tags of extra cloth sewed on using a sewing machine's button hole feature - evidently the extra tags are on strategic spots like over the heart) - but they do have a purpose.

The really serious sins involve getting undressed, so, presumably, if one started undressing and was reminded of his or her religious scruples when one got down to the underwear, then one might stop and avoid further sinning. At least in theory.

Orthodox Jews have an analogous bit of underwear with their "small prayer shawl" that has tassles hanging out their untucked shirts.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Shoonra

Hmmm. maybe they are on to something afterall. (sarcasm & joking)
Maybe they are briefed for when TSHTF ? I'd venture a bet that Romney will crap his too. That's not protection - that would just be a diaper.

Speculating: People get ready! ---- for everyone is about to 'let 'er rip'! And that doesn't mean rest in peace.

edit on 18-3-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
Religious thread.

I find it hilarious that you make fun of magical undergarments, but will believe in a book written by man about an all-powerful guy floating in the clouds and judging us all with an all-seeing eye. Not only this, but he constructed the earth in 7 days, then made a man and woman, whereby they made an entire race. Not too long after this, incest was declared sinful, despite the fact that incest is clearly the only reason we are all here.

Yep, magical undergarments are clearly the pinnacle of ridiculous in this thread.

Anyone else seeing the irony here?

Oh, and one more thing. I don't see any justification for you making fun of other religions just because you think yours is right. Isn't pride supposed to be a sinful thing? And you call yourself a Christian...

Such arrogance.
edit on CFridaypm414145f45America/Chicago24 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

LOL I guess you might think that's what the Bible meant when being read with the understanding of a 2nd grader.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
someone starting a thread to bash another religion and to start preaching.

please go back to whatever relgious site you came from.

We now have the internet versions of Jehova's Witnesses.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join