Mormon's Belief and Practice of Wearing Protective (Magical) Underwear: What!?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

I also question their practices, but realize their beliefs are taken "verbatim" from the KJV bible...

This is what im trying to figure out...

They claim Christ visited the nephites... but if you actually read the encounter, its taken directly from Matthew 5-6, which leads me to believe the "visitation" was in fact... fabricated.

They focus on a very important part of the bible... which is Christs teachings, but if the innital visitation was fabricated, they based their religion innitially on a lie...

This is my issue... incidentally also why mormons seem to have their S**t together more so then most "christians" as well... They focus on Christ rather then the rest of the bible

edit on 24-2-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I may be wrong, but I thought Christ was the main point of the Bible?

What's the issue with Mormons focusing on Christ?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Nothing actually... notice i said "mormons have their S**t together more so then most Christians do"

Christians tend to focus on the entire bible... Mormons don't, though they also accept the entire bible as well...

Sadly that also means they accept all of pauls letters as well... one of the pitfalls of christianity

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Originally posted by Starchild23

Nothing actually... notice i said "mormons have their S**t together more so then most Christians do"

That's your opinion, and in some areas you may be correct in this....at least on how much time they spend in their dedication to their faith. Tis sad, Christians do tend to get lazy. And I for one have been known to do so. Guilty as charged.... We allll fail at times and no one of us is perfect .

Christians tend to focus on the entire bible... Mormons don't, though they also accept the entire bible as well...

Sadly that also means they accept all of pauls letters as well... one of the pitfalls of christianity

I disagree here. If Mormon's accepted the Bible...they would have no need for another 'nother testament.
Even Paul's letters were inspired...but you have are entitled to not believe, of course!

The Word of God shall not pass away...not til every jot and tittle be fulfilled.....but it sure does seem to be getting attacked from all sides. God of course wins!
My 2cnts.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I disagree here. If Mormon's accepted the Bible...they would have no need for another 'nother testament.
Even Paul's letters were inspired...but you have are entitled to not believe, of course!

The Word of God shall not pass away...not til every jot and tittle be fulfilled.....but it sure does seem to be getting attacked from all sides. God of course wins!

This is the issue my friend...

They believe Christ Visited the nephites... they consider their bible "another testament" of Jesus, when in fact as far as i've found thus far... its not technically "another" testament.... its the same one, taken directly from the KJV...

And btw, "the word of God" came from Jesus, not the rest of the bible... but that is not the issue of this thread

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

u dont get it its supposed to be christ in the americas teaching the word of the bible to people (natives) who had never read the bible thats why some things are so similar

heres a link to the articles of faith www.mormonwiki.com...
edit on 24-2-2012 by TheGuyFawkes because: (no reason given)

heres a link explaining what the book of mormon is about www.mormonwiki.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGuyFawkes
reply to post by Akragon

u dont get it its supposed to be christ in the americas teaching the word of the bible to people (natives) who had never read the bible thats why some things are so similar

heres a link to the articles of faith www.mormonwiki.com...

Actually i understand that.... the issue is the passage in 3 nephi that was about the visitation from Christ in the americas was taken VERBATIM from the KJV...

Its not similar... its exact.

I get the idea behind it...

what you don't get is my arguement

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Just a quicky to the pricky like paul
, said in jest..:

Joh 13:18 I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.
There are many more of these written in the Gospels where Jesus refers to scripture.

Jesus' quote was referring to other Scriptures, wasn't it? So wouldn't this be somewhat enough evidence to convince you that these words are inspired too? Of course, the Words of Jesus are considered more special.

But you disbelieve Paul when he says

(2Ti 3:16 ) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

I just ask that you consider and think this through a little further. Am not really asking the question truly, just asking you to consider the thought.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us that all Scripture is "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

I only say these things in love......for you miss out on many a blessing! for Scripture interprets Scripture.
(But he wasn't talkin about a Mormon book! and noone is supposed to add to or take away from Scripture, either!)

This link says things better than I. Maybe then you can understand where I'm coming from.
debbiekaufman.wordpress.com...

Topic: Wouldn't it be easier on them and less costly to just wear a string around their finger if this were only for a reminder?.
edit on 24-2-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)
edit on 24-2-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

This was just brought to my attention yesterday - that Mormon's wear and believe in protective undergarments.

Gotta love the internet. There's a lot of great information available through it, but there's a lot of mis-information as well. Mormons wear undergarments for the purpose of reminding them of the covenants they have made. The "protection" offered by the wearing of these undergarments is of a spiritual variety - protection from forgetting and breaking their covenants and the consequences resulting. Thanks to misinformation and urban legend, the whole thing has been twisted and perverted but it's all really quite simple - it's an outward expression of an inner conviction. Many religions wear clothing that is symbolic for one reason or another. This is no different, and Mormons recognize there is nothing "magical" about the fabric or design - it's just a continual reminder of what they are about and how they should be living.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Joh 13:18 I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.
There are many more of these written in the Gospels.

Jesus' quote was referring to the other Scriptures, wasn't it? Wouldn't this be evidence that these weren't the only words that were inspired?

Jesus words wern't inspired... they were from people who spent time with him apparently... though that is actually still up for debate...

Im sure there were actually "inspired" words of God... i just don't take the entire bible as such...

Of course, the Words of Jesus are more special. But you disbelieve Paul when he says (2Ti 3:16 ) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

exactly why i have no use for paul... IF all scripture was inspired, the church wouldn't have removed so much... Nor would they have needed to have any discussions on what is considered "Cannon"...

I just ask that you consider and think this through a little further. Am not really asking the question truly, just asking you to consider the thought.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us that all Scripture is "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

I only say these things in love......for you miss out on many a blessing! for Scripture interprets Scripture

As i've said, i will leave Paul to you Christians...

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Well, it didn't hurt me to try, did it? Appreciate your polite honesty.

Have enjoyed talking with and only wish for you all good things and I so hope that you can sense this through my writings...regardless of their worth to you.

Take care..

Appreciate all of you and to those of you in the know that answered my question.
I understand that this practice is to be a symbolic reminder to their commitments, and that Mormon's don't really think that these things actually protect them. if I am understanding this correctly..

Appreciate you all.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerLou
reply to post by Akragon

Well, it didn't hurt me to try, did it? Appreciate your polite honesty.

Have enjoyed talking with and only wish for you all good things and I so hope that you can sense this through my writings...regardless of their worth to you.

Take care..

Appreciate all of you and to those of you in the know that answered my question.
I understand that this practice is to be a symbolic reminder to their commitments, and that Mormon's don't really think that these things actually protect them. if I am understanding this correctly..

Appreciate you all.

Nothing wrong with trying...

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

(2Ti 3:16 ) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Do you think the writers at the time thought that they were writing scripture? Doubtful. Any "scripture" that is referenced can only come from the OT.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I've known this for a long time.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I believe in the Holy Bible and not some NEW Mormon testament

I'm pretty sure most Jews view you crazy Christians and your New Testament about the same way.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I think it's sweet.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
If I may but ask just one more question...

Do Mormons have a choice in this wearing of these garments?
If say, I were a Mormon and decided that I did not want to do this 'reminder'' for myself, would I have a choice in the matter or is this a requirement to practice - to be a Mormon?

Just curious.
Thanks in advance!

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

Am very well aware of this.
Thank you for your reply.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxsomexpersonxx

I've known this for a long time.

Hi and thanks for the vid. However, I
Still am unable to view vids at present.
But I did get to read some of the comments.
Very interesting and much appreciated!
Wish I could view the vid,
So I welcome you to fill me in if you have the time.

Thanks once again.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Hi and thanks for the vid. However, I
Still am unable to view vids at present.
But I did get to read some of the comments.
Very interesting and much appreciated!
Wish I could view the vid,
So I welcome you to fill me in if you have the time.

Thanks once again.

It doesn't say anything that hasn't been said or linked in this topic yet, it's just put into an easier to swallow video format. So if you read the rest of the topic, you're not missing anything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join