It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain set to recognize Syrian rebels

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Britain set to recognize Syrian rebels

www.presstv.ir

Britain’s Foreign Secretary William Hague has said that his country will recognize the Syrian rebels as a "legitimate representative" of the Middle Eastern country.

Hague made the announcement as he arrived in Tunisia to attend the so-called “Friends of Syria” meeting in Tunis, media reports said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Exactly what happened in Libya, the 'rebel's' who are actually terrorists were rampaging and killing people and the goverment tried to quash them and then NATO intervened. Exactly the same thing as Libya is happening.

When we arm the rebel terrorists they will then go around killing people afterwards, I bet CNN wont report those facts. CNN is an arm of the military and the war profiteers and globalists need to create chaos in another predominately Muslim country so they have no unity or sense of semblance in order to provide for the security of Israel.

www.presstv.ir

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I believe i read somewhere that the US is going to arm the Rebels, was it Clinton that said that?

was it fact, or just propaganda?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I love this new approach. I think Libya was the first time the world actually saw the sheer audacity of what they're apparently coming to do more now. When you can't make a nice, quick fast food war for the masses to ingest and celebrate a quick win for.....why fight to the end at all?

Hell... These days, apparently, it's enough to just call the Government still firmly in power and in total control of their nation, to be invalid and meaningless. After that, as in Libya, I guess it's left to get the "permission" of the rag-tag rebel forces as if they already WERE the legal authority.

When Clinton noted we couldn't send in troops without Syria invite...this isn't what crossed my mind. It should have been though. How absolutely obscene. When permission can't be had, hell..just change who you say is authorized to GIVE it until you find someone low enough to agree.

.............. Perhaps England might want to recall this day when going off on America bashing like it's the new Olympic sport. We're certainly bastards in the world.....but we are by no means the only ones or even the WORST at times. We're in good company.

edit on 24-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
I believe i read somewhere that the US is going to arm the Rebels, was it Clinton that said that?

I think all options are being considered at this point.

Perosnally I think it's a bad idea because, as OP stated, there are terrorists among their ranks. However some of them were Syrian military that dichted out and went to the Free Syrian Army.

Can't blame legit soliders wanting a free country..

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

This is a very misleading headline. By all accounts, it should read:

"Britain Set To Continue Recognizing CIA & Muslim Brotherhood Occupation In Syria."

What a strange kind of propaganda these people have been weaving over the last few months. It looks like they might get their war after all. Although I doubt it starts before they completely take control of Syria and it's ability to be an ally to a particular country to the East...

What's next WMD?

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Absolutely ashamed at what my country has become.

The UK is run by idiots, that's all anyone really needs to say. How on earth can an official government of a developed country recognize Al Qaeda as the Syrian's mouthpiece is beyond me.

Three possible situations that come to mind;
Parliament are a bunch of nuts and don't have the slightest clue what they are doing.
Parliament are purposely taking the pee out of the Syrian's sovereignty.
Al Qaeda is run by the CIA and it's part of the plan to take over the region.

edit on 24/2/2012 by InsideYourMind because: spelling

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

If I may add a fourth....?

The UK is only doing what the US and the rest of the Western Powers have been doing for over 10 years now. They're working toward an end goal which Syria is a minor distraction and technical problem to get beyond with. It's a hell of a thing when an entire nation and it's people are referred to in cold terms and total indifference to their fate...but such are the facts as I believe them to be.

Syria = Speed Bump....and the Western Powers might just clear a little air time as they run right over them at full speed, on the way to Iran and whatever the heck lay beyond that as the end game to all this.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Wow, things seem to be sure heating up over there in the past 24 hours. Here's an ATS thread that just was created a few minutes ago. Seems that Qatar is calling for military intervention

Qatar Says Wants Pan-Arab Force To Impose Syria Peace

Then there's the "Friends of Syria" conference thing

news.yahoo.com...

TUNIS, Tunisia (AP) — The United States, Europe and Arab countries were set Friday to back a proposal for Syria's president to step aside and allow in humanitarian assistance to end a brutal crackdown against opponents.

American, European and Arab officials are meeting in a major international "Friends of Syria" conference in Tunisia to work out the details for their 72-hour ultimatum end the violence and allow in aid, which will be backed by as yet unspecified punishments.

It seems like a big speedball Friday for Syria.

ETA - It seems the Friends of Syria group is also calling for a UN "peacekeeping mission"....if Assad agrees to step down...(I doubt he will)

news.yahoo.com...

TUNIS, Tunisia (AP) — The nations that make up the Friends of Syria group will call Friday for the United Nations to start planning a civilian peacekeeping mission in Syria that would begin after the regime agrees to a cease-fire and a political transition, a senior diplomat said.

edit on 24-2-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Exactly what happened in Libya, the 'rebel's' who are actually terrorists were rampaging and killing people and the goverment tried to quash them and then NATO intervened. Exactly the same thing as Libya is happening.

When we arm the rebel terrorists they will then go around killing people afterwards, I bet CNN wont report those facts. CNN is an arm of the military and the war profiteers and globalists need to create chaos in another predominately Muslim country so they have no unity or sense of semblance in order to provide for the security of Israel.

www.presstv.ir

Supplying people that will be our future enemy but get rid of one of our current enemies that will lend his unconditional support to Iran in the event we attack is worth it.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

absolutely agree with you
i know many of us brits are just bloody well fedup with this whole parade

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
If these rebels don't have enough "salt and grit" to use the weapons they already have to secure more from the Syrian Army itself, then it isn't much of a revolution. These so called rebels lack intelligence, common sense and courage, three things that are essential in a revolution. Supplying these individuals with weapons won't instill those necessities, leaving them to their own devices will, in my opinion. They will either step up to the plate and hold their own or fall away.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Not even close.

Originally posted by Darth_Prime

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Breaking News Released!

Iran Set To Recognize Timothy McVeigh Supporters as Legal Representatives!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Hamas does as well:

Hamas severs ties with Assad, backs Syrian revolt By REUTERS 02/24/2012 20:18 Hamas says Syria revolt will triumph, turns back on ally Assad; worshipers chant "No" to Iran and Hezbollah.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Saudis want to arm Rebels:

Saudi FM: Arming Syrian opposition is an 'excellent idea' By REUTERS 02/24/2012 19:08 TUNIS - Giving weapons to the Syrian opposition facing a violent crackdown by government forces is an excellent idea, Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Prince Saud Faisal said on Friday.

Asked at the start of a bilateral meeting in the Tunisian capital with US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton if he thought arming the Syrian opposition was a good idea, the Saudi minister said: "I think it's an excellent idea."

Asked why, he said: "Because they have to protect themselves."

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
You know what these rebels are?

They are just like blackwater, contract workers!
Well mercenaries rather!

But better than mercenaries coming from the west, they are mercenaries coming from the country the west wants to overthrow
much better marketing on mainstream media isn't it?

unhappy citizens with rocket launchers

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
PressTV, dont believe it.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The actual announcement was that the UK is recognising the SNC (i.e. not 'the rebels') as a legitimate representative of the Syrian people, something that the US, France and Spain amongst others have already done.

He also said that the SNC is not the only representative of the Syrian people, therefore it is not equivalent to when the UK and others recognised the Libyan NTC as the 'sole legitimate representative' of the Libyan people - some people appear to think that it is and that this marks some kind of escalation.

The Press TV article states that William Hague "vowed to provide weapons and intelligence to rebels and terrorist snipers" when he in fact ruled this out earlier today saying that Britain will observe the EU arms embargo and the support that he was referring to was for political opposition outside of Syria. I have no idea why people insist on using Press TV as a source.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laxpla
PressTV, dont believe it.

Press TV is rubbish. That said, the coverage has been totally one sided from the off.
Note how quiet we are on the issue of our mates, Bahrain.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join