It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloomberg TV Anchor Whines: Nobody Twittering About Oscars!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
My husband has the Bloomberg Channel on every trading day, so I end up watching it whether I like it or not. The morning anchor, Margaret Brennan, had different guests on speaking about the various Oscar-nominated films. A few were there to tout how a film being nominated makes its sales skyrocket, others were blathering about how "exciting" the Oscars are.

At the end of her broadcast, she lamented that almost nobody was twittering about the Oscars. She seemed stunned and asked, "Doesn't anybody out there care about the Oscars anymore?"

It was my turn to be stunned. How out of touch do you have to be to whine about the fact that people aren't twittering about the Oscars? With record unemployment, record debt, gas prices shooting up, and war rumbling on the not-so-distant horizon, how many people care about a show in which there are a bunch of self-indulgent, self-important, spoiled fools who prance and preen for the public? I never watch the Oscars, I don't give a damn. It's like watching a high school show in which the popular kids vote on which popular kid they all like the best. *YAWN*

How many people can afford to go to the movies these days? It costs a small fortune to take your family to the movies now. Ridiculous ticket prices, and then the concession stand prices are a crime. Even the DVDs, when they come out, are still around $20. Might as well wait until the movie is shown on the movie channels on cable or satellite.

People have more important and tangible things to be concerned about, such as groceries, a tank of gas, paying the electric bill, finding a job, or a potential world war, to care about movies. Don't get me wrong, I like movies. I just don't like the demand for worship this industry seems to solicit.

So, ATS, what say you? Am I just a nasty old hermit, or am I more in touch with what is going on in America than Ms. Brennan on the Bloomberg channel?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Never had any interest in the Oscars. Can't remember the last time I went to the cinema.
I would have been just as gobsmacked as you, but then the vapid laments of the blatantly out of touch on TV should no longer surprise me as they crop up more and more everyday.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

I agree. Typically, the Bloomberg Channel has a bunch of billionaires and millionaire traders, business owners, corporate snakes, and government turds on it. I suppose I shouldn't expect them to have a sense of reality. After all, Ms. Brennan is often on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, hob-nobbing with raiders, traders and traitors. How can anybody see what is going on from a high ivory tower?

And yeah, I cannot remember the last time I went to the movies, either.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Actually during the Great Depression the movie industry surged. I wasn't surprised to find the same is true today www.nytimes.com...

When times are worse, thats when people need an occasional escape.....Movies are something that provide that.

As for the Oscars....I've never paid that much attention to them, myself, but I'm not surprised that a TV Anchor is talking about them.....Media is the industry the Anchor works in...How can you fault the anchor for a tweet about the very industry that provides his/her paycheck? If you worked in a coal mine, you might tweet something like 'doesn't anybody use coal anymore'......Or words to that effect.

edit on 24-2-2012 by bhornbuckle75 because: Plumb

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Could they finally be realizing the truth of things?? The Oscars were kinda neat when I was MUCH younger and actually saw celebrity as something special. Now? Heck... they can throw the party of the world and I MIGHT watch a few minutes of it, only if I happen to catch it as I channel surf anyway.

What is there to be excited about by watching a bunch of INSANELY over paid ego trippers give each other awards for having the biggest ego of them all short of actually pissing people off by it?

I really was a kid the last time I recall awards going out to a set I really thought were among the best to win them. Heck..I haven't even heard of too many of what they think we all give a hoot about seeing awards handed out for.

Sorry Hollywood, to borrow a phrase you coined out there..... 'We're just not that into you, anymore'.

edit on 24-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: Smiley Correction.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Media is the anchor's...media....but it is a financial channel, and it is expected to have its finger on the pulse of the American people. It is not TMZ or a Hollywood gossip show.

Like I said, I love the movies, but will not pay the exorbitant prices to see one in the theater. To pay $20 to have the DVD that you will most likely only watch once is even more wasteful.

Back in the Great Depression, they had movies for a nickle, a double feature with a cartoon or short subject, and sometimes even live acts beforehand. Now, it is one movie for $9 and a bucket of popcorn costs $6. People today have the option of watching TV (which they pay for anyway). Entertainment continues to be THE escapist's destination, but they are no longer limited to the movie theater. That is the big difference between then and now.

I can watch TV all day and night and never have to leave the house. The new movies are watched by fewer and fewer people, so the current Oscars mean nothing to most people.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I've never been one for any award show, for all we know those are bought and paid for just like our politicians, and the rest of our media. But you are right, who gives a crap about the Oscars when you got all these problems ramping up here at home and in the world. Just goes to show more and more people are waking up.

new topics

top topics

join