It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHOCK VIDEO: Police gun down carjacking suspect on live TV

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
The guy deserved to get shot like that. If my car was stolen I would expect the police to do nothing less. With him dead I will not have to pay for him in jail.

Secondly was he illegal?

If someone stole my car, I wouldn't expect or want him to die, and I would not feel "satisfied" that he did die.
But I'm not American you see....oops!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

The guy deserved to get shot like that. If my car was stolen I would expect the police to do nothing less. With him dead I will not have to pay for him in jail.

Secondly was he illegal?

If someone stole my car, I wouldn't expect or want him to die, and I would not feel "satisfied" that he did die.

Got to love sweeping generalized stereotypical statements.
edit on 24-2-2012 by andersensrm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by andersensrm

Well your post is that the problem lies with the cops. Nevermind what this guy did, the problem is always with the cops. Look the cops can't stop everything, nor do they try to, because that would severely limit our liberties. The only problem I see here is with this guy, and they took care of him. Problem solved.

It looks like your ignoring what I'm saying and trying to turn this into a cop hating debate.

I think it's quite obvious that car jacking is wrong and there is no debate to be had on that. All I'm saying is there is room for improvement in how cops handle situations like this, and I gave my suggestions, and that also can be improved upon.

edit on 24-2-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by andersensrm

Secondly was he illegal?

Got to love sweeping generalized stereotypical statements.
edit on 24-2-2012 by andersensrm because: (no reason given)

It was a joke, hence the wink.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I would also expect his family to foot the bill for my car and I would also sue the family for pain, suffering, damages. Carjacking is a very violent and traumatizing experience and this guy got off too easy, maybe they should have shot him in the spine to paralyze him or something and dump him somewhere in the desert.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

reply to post by _Phoenix_

I would also expect his family to foot the bill for my car and I would also sue the family for pain, suffering, damages. Carjacking is a very violent and traumatizing experience and this guy got off too easy, maybe they should have shot him in the spine to paralyze him or something and dump him somewhere in the desert.

Hey I can "understand" your view on wanting to kill a thief. Although unnecessary barbaric.

But suing the family? Even after he died, that's illogical and not cool man.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Well the details are coming from the LAPD, and we all know they are such reliable, humble, and honest people...

edit on 2/24/12 by ideasarebulletproof because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
If you dont want the Police to shot you dont Pull, a gun after leading them on a chase for over an hour!
With that being said, this is another prime example of why didnt the police use NoN leathel force, such as Bean bags and or Stun grenades, Pepper spray?

But in the end we where not there and the Video from the Helicopter does not provide the veiw we need to determine if this was a justified killing.

Just sad for both sides involved IMO, the victims Family & the Officers who had to take a life!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by boncho
If the suspect drew a gun, than it was suicide by default. Of course, on the video presented we can't actually see if he had his gun out or not.

2 car jackings at gun point, pursuit through LA ending in a gas station.

The moment he stopped where he stopped, right next to the bystander, he sealed his fate. In my opinion based on the article / video it looked justified to me. The investigation into the officers use of force will be done and it goes from there.

questions?

Xcat, last time I checked, carjacking someone at gunpoint (while not a sign of goodwill) does not carry with it the sentence of death at gunpoint. In fact, it carries a jail sentence.

So....

Given that the gentleman on the video stated the suspect aimed his gun at people in the store, the reasoning for the cops to open fire, was because of that. Either he did or he didn't.

If he did, he was committing suicide. If he didn't, he should have been apprehended and saw justice in the court.

Any questions?

edit on 24-2-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

If the suspect drew a gun, than it was suicide by default. Of course, on the video presented we can't actually see if he had his gun out or not.

2 car jackings at gun point, pursuit through LA ending in a gas station.

The moment he stopped where he stopped, right next to the bystander, he sealed his fate. In my opinion based on the article / video it looked justified to me. The investigation into the officers use of force will be done and it goes from there.

questions?

Xcat, last time I checked, carjacking someone at gunpoint (while not a sign of goodwill) does not carry with it the sentence of death at gunpoint. In fact, it carries a jail sentence.

So....

Given that the gentleman on the video stated the suspect aimed his gun at people in the store, the reasoning for the cops to open fire, was because of that. Either he did or he didn't.

If he did, he was committing suicide. If he didn't, he should have been apprehended and saw justice in the court.

Any questions?

Your right before any action is taken someone should sit through a trial to determine whether or not they are in the wrong. If someone decides to go on a shooting rampage, cops will just wait until he's done, and when he's ready they'll cuff him. But if he decides to run or whatever, he should be able to, because of course he hasn't been convicted of a crime yet. Makes a lot of sense.....

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

Your right before any action is taken someone should sit through a trial to determine whether or not they are in the wrong. If someone decides to go on a shooting rampage, cops will just wait until he's done, and when he's ready they'll cuff him. But if he decides to run or whatever, he should be able to, because of course he hasn't been convicted of a crime yet. Makes a lot of sense.....

Please show me where this person went on a shooting rampage? Xcat knows full well there are people that use weapons for intimidation and there are people that use weapons to harm others.

My reply wasn't to you.

But then you went and took me out of context.

Had the person fired a shot or gone on a shooting rampage, there would be no question as to whether or not the officers were justified.

A spokesperson came on TV and said the suspect aimed a gun at people in the store and that was the justification for the shooting. Now that has to be looked into. If the suspect didn't aim the gun at someone, it wasn't justified. (Or perhaps there was another reason, in which case the guy on camera should have kept his mouth shut until all the facts were in...)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Please show me where this person went on a shooting rampage? Xcat knows full well there are people that use weapons for intimidation and there are people that use weapons to harm others.

My reply wasn't to you.

But then you went and took me out of context.

Had the person fired a shot or gone on a shooting rampage, there would be no question as to whether or not the officers were justified.

A spokesperson came on TV and said the suspect aimed a gun at people in the store and that was the justification for the shooting. Now that has to be looked into. If the suspect didn't aim the gun at someone, it wasn't justified. (Or perhaps there was another reason, in which case the guy on camera should have kept his mouth shut until all the facts were in...)

So he's just holding the gun, and not responding, is that justified. It seems you have to kill someone before it's justified.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

So he's just holding the gun, and not responding, is that justified. It seems you have to kill someone before it's justified.

You could tell he wasn't responding from that video? I couldn't see anything in the car, could you?

I saw a citizen rolling around on the ground while police surrounded the car of the suspect. I would have been more impressed with the officers actions if one of them put themselves in between the citizen and the suspect's car.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

You could tell he wasn't responding from that video? I couldn't see anything in the car, could you?

I saw a citizen rolling around on the ground while police surrounded the car of the suspect. I would have been more impressed with the officers actions if one of them put themselves in between the citizen and the suspect's car.

But doing that may have provoked the situation further, may have caused the suspect to start firing, then we'd all be on here criticizing the cop for being so stupid. It doesn't matter what the cop does, it always seems he did something wrong, and at the same time we downplay what this guy was doing to garner all of the attention. All the danger of that day traces back to what this guy did, not the cops.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Over a half a dozen cops unload their pistols into a car and you think it is automatically justified? Whether it is or it isn't, it still needs to be reviewed and it isn't something to be taken lightly.

It's not about bashing here, it's whether or not they are doing their job properly as they are protecting the people. If it is automatic (Standard) to shoot someone when they are assumed to have a gun or they do have one, there will be cases where it was mistaken someone had one, or perhaps they had one but had one legally.

Any decent cop will tell you the idea is not to put someone down either, the goal is to arrest them without injury to the officer or the suspect. So I don't understand how people can jump up and say "great" when someone is killed. That isn't the idea. Nor is it supposed to be.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It would be interesting to see video from security cams or cruiser cams. I did notice the police cars were pulled behind in such a way that the cams are likely of no use. I do not condone criminal activity but if the guy did not threaten with deadly force, then it is death penilty for car theft, no judge, no jury and no due process! I hope there is an in-depth investigation.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Over a half a dozen cops unload their pistols into a car and you think it is automatically justified? Whether it is or it isn't, it still needs to be reviewed and it isn't something to be taken lightly.

It's not about bashing here, it's whether or not they are doing their job properly as they are protecting the people. If it is automatic (Standard) to shoot someone when they are assumed to have a gun or they do have one, there will be cases where it was mistaken someone had one, or perhaps they had one but had one legally.

Any decent cop will tell you the idea is not to put someone down either, the goal is to arrest them without injury to the officer or the suspect. So I don't understand how people can jump up and say "great" when someone is killed. That isn't the idea. Nor is it supposed to be.

No it is not bashing it
is your perspective.

I do not find it anything good
about this situation.

It is a sad event. With that said
I believe the guy should of thrown
his hands and arms out the window when he stopped.
In my opinion he was going for suicide by cop.
A person in crime knows the street laws.
If he wanted to not be shot he would of
followed the protocol of putting his hands and arms
out where they could see them..

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

The police are being trained to shoot first then answer questions later. At worst they'll get a paid leave of absence.

Very sad. I am terrified of the very people who were hired to protect me.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The suspect was no shot and killed because he hijacked a car.
The suspect was not shot and killed because he hijacked a second car.
The suspect was not shot and killed because he used a gun during the 2 car jackings.
The suspect was not shot and killed because of the high speed pursuit.
The Suspect was not shot and killed for stopping in the middle of a busy downtown street while brandishing a gun
The Suspect was not shot and killed for stopping at the gas station.

The list above doesn't even cover the traffic violations for speeding, driving on the wrong side of the road, failing to stop and stop light / signs, improper lane charges, failing to signal when turning. Its looking like every single act he committed is at the felony level, with the exception of the traffic violations (except resisting arrest by fleeing).

The Police, taking all the info (totality of circumstance) from start to finish, supports the decision to use deadly force. When the suspect got out of his car and approached the guy filling up his tank, that persons life was in danger, and that view can be supported by the suspects prior behavior with 2 carjackings.

The suspect had more than ample time to decide how this incident was going to end. He could have easily just stayed home and watched tv. Instead he decided to go on a crime spree. During the spree he had many many opportunities to stop the car and surrender,

After an hour and ending up at the gas station, the suspect still had a chance to end the situation peacefully. He decided his own fate at the very last second by not complying with verbal commands to surrender.

Boncho - keep in mind use of force for an officer is reviewed from the officers perspective and not 20/20 hindsight. Its what did the officer perceive at the exact moment force was used (I know people hate that but it is the standard).

Had I been the officer present, based on all the info, I would have fired as well. The suspect already established he was not going to go peacefully by all of his actions. At the Gas station, with the vehicle stopped and light pedestrian / motor traffic, was the ideal / safest time and place to end the encounter.

He was a danger to the public at large... That danger had to be stopped, either by his own actions, or by the officers.

The suspect made his decision.

If you want more specifics let me know and I can throw some California law at ya

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Secondly was he illegal?

We're tired of our tax dollars keeping quasi-humans like that breathing our oxygen.
Those bullets are far cheaper than paying for him to have 3 squares, watching HBO
& lifting weights. Good riddance & I hope to see this sort of outcome daily.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join