It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHOCK VIDEO: Police gun down carjacking suspect on live TV

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

Originally posted by andersensrm

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Once again the police exercised extreme caution as they unloaded dozens of rounds right next to the gasoline pumps. I think I'd buy an electric car after that if I was that poor guy pumping gas for his car.

Its actually incredibly hard to get gasoline to explode, the world doesn't work like the movies do.

A bullet could ricochet off the car and pierce a hose igniting the fumes, then the liquid gasoline. Very dangerous risk to do that so close.

Try it see, how it works, I'll bet you'll be shooting all day to get some flames, and once you do they'd be surprisingly unthreatening.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

I dont think your quite understanding. If a fugitive had demonstrating violent behavior in his attempts to escape the police, who is to say that he wont be violent once he drives off again? regardless if he is about to run over someone or not. The fact is that their is potential that the fugitive could kill someone in his renewed escape attempt.

I can twist your words as well, please see the following:

You are saying the cops should let him drive away because he is not posing a threat at that moment. Is like saying i not going to arrest this child rapist right now because he is not raping a child at this moment.....even though he has a history of doing it

Your logic is flawed.

edit on 24-2-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

The Supreme Court actually had a case come before them on that very comment. First and foremost law enforcement is pretty much prohibited from discharging their weapon while standing in the direct path of the suspect vehicle. An officer cannot force the encounter in that manner.

If you guys watch the shows dealing with law enforcement, watch the pursuits. You will notice that regardless of agency or number of officers, not one blocks the road completely. We are required to provide an avenue of escape. The reason is because of the ruling above about being in the path of a vehicle. If we set up a total road block it forces the deadly force encounter because the only way through the is to plow through.

Now if he goes to move and the car angles towards him then yes he can shoot since its an observable threat. As far as shooting at a vehicle that is driving away we can actually do that, but again it depends on whats going on

ETA - The ruling does not cover DWI checkpoints or other functions. Its geared towards Police pursuits.
edit on 24-2-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

No worries and thanks for the heads up.

I removed my post directed at you.

Sorry bout that.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I have an observation to make after reading more of the thread here. This isn't the first time it comes up...and it's like a bad penny. It just won't go away.

'That' is this ridiculous notion that cops can actually shoot to wound someone. It's silly and laughable to ANYONE..and I do mean ANYONE who has spent time shooting more than a few rounds as a one-off thing. At 25 yards, in perfect indoor conditions and with the weapon I've been using for years now, I can hit center mass on better than 80% of my rounds. I usually get at least 1 in the 9 ring. That's a 1911 .45 and it's among the better models for that class.

That is 75 feet away. Under calm conditions. With no distractions. I'm firing when I want, in the way I choose and take all the time I'd like to take on each pull.

The cops here look like they were closer, but with glass and all the various garbage in the line of sight across the inside of a car. This wouldn't have been the FIRST video to show a barrage of shots like this OR MORE..and the occupants are either just wounded or 1 or more aren't hit at all.

So.... When cops fire, it's to kill...and they just hope their shooting under conditions and stress is accurate enough to manage that much.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Clearly this demostrates that the Police need better weapons and/or more training.

They are wasting bullets. They should have been able to take him out in two, maybe 3 shots (with the gas pumps there etc).

So. More funding for these officers training. Many more to go. Need to conserve bullets.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

"I saw a guy with a gun behind my car and after that the police came," Hahn told KCAL/KCBS. "Police said, `Just go down!"

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

That is all the justification the Officers needed to use deadly force.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Clearly this demostrates that the Police need better weapons and/or more training.

They are wasting bullets. They should have been able to take him out in two, maybe 3 shots (with the gas pumps there etc).

So. More funding for these officers training. Many more to go. Need to conserve bullets.

Grenade launchers?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I'd like to see you shoot.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by MDDoxs

"I saw a guy with a gun behind my car and after that the police came," Hahn told KCAL/KCBS. "Police said, `Just go down!"

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

That is all the justification the Officers needed to use deadly force.

What about the Carjacking? and perhaps the reckless driving? Danger to the Public? Not complying with commands? Many Unknowns?
edit on 24-2-2012 by MDDoxs because: Input quote

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

To reinforce your post (and thank you for saying what you did) this video covers the "myths" of law enforcement.

Hollywood vs. Reality Officer Involved Shootings

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

Well, wouldn't be much to see as I get them One Shot, One Kill-Everytime, right between the eyes. Dirty Harry Style.

Relax big fella. Being a bit crazy on a lazy Friday afternoon.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

They all factor into the situation. I was just pointing out (because I missed the part in the article) the police would have been justified without the prior incidents due to the bystander and the suspect being by his car with a gun (keeping the pursuit).

With that said I will take my leave so others can discus without me replying to every other post and dominating the thread. Anyone has a question just shoot me a U2U.
edit on 24-2-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

reply to post by andersensrm

Well, wouldn't be much to see as I get them One Shot, One Kill-Everytime, right between the eyes. Dirty Harry Style.

Relax big fella. Being a bit crazy on a lazy Friday afternoon.

At a gun range? Or are you a real dirty harry?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Those bullets are cheap compared
to an innocent life lost in the middle
of this whole rampage.

VIDEO LEADING UP TO CAR BEING STOPPED AT GAS STATION.
Better perspective.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Anyone think it's ironic that the cops ended up damaging the car and killing someone just trying to get the car back.

Think about it, if the man trying to get away is endangering peoples lives, then the cops should back off or stop chasing him, and just let the helicopter keep track. Because if they dont then the cops become part of the danger to innocents.

More cars need some sort of tracking device/GPS on them so if they do get stolen it's easy for cops to track it down discreetly.
edit on 24-2-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Unless of course you're in the car, seeing all the cops turn away, and you think to yourself " Heres my chance" and just go around unloading clips into people. Sounds like good police work to me, just let the criminals go.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Unless of course you're in the car, seeing all the cops turn away, and you think to yourself " Heres my chance" and just go around unloading clips into people. Sounds like good police work to me, just let the criminals go.

You obviously misread my post, I didn't say just let them go, I'm trying to say there should be a better way to deal with car jackers.

Now I haven't read up everything on this case, but I don't think car jackers usually have a sudden urge to go on a killing spree rampage.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The guy deserved to get shot like that. If my car was stolen I would expect the police to do nothing less. With him dead I will not have to pay for him in jail.

Secondly was he illegal?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

You obviously misread my post, I didn't sayto just let them go, I'm trying to say there should be a better way to deal with car jackers.

Now I haven't read up everything on this case, but I don't usually think carjackers have a sudden urge to go on a killing spree rampage.

Well your post is that the problem lies with the cops. Nevermind what this guy did, the problem is always with the cops. Look the cops can't stop everything, nor do they try to, because that would severely limit our liberties. The only problem I see here is with this guy, and they took care of him. Problem solved.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join