It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Energy Plan -- Algae

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Can't help it !!

I can't SSSSsssTAND it !!!

(CNSNews.com) - "The American people aren't stupid," President Obama said on Thursday -- as he insisted that drilling for more oil on U.S. territory is "not a strategy to solve our energy challenge."

The president's solution? Algae, for one.

"We’re making new investments in the development of gasoline and diesel and jet fuel that’s actually made from a plant-like substance -- algae," the president said at a campaign stop in Florida. "You’ve got a bunch of algae out here, right? If we can figure out how to make energy out of that, we’ll be doing all right."

Obama said the nation could replace up to 17 percent of the oil it imports for transportation with "this fuel that we can grow right here in the United States. And that means greater energy security. That means lower costs. It means more jobs. It means a stronger economy."

Look for yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has to be the best one so far !!!!!!!

NOW Mr. POTUS, How much will this failue cost me ??

Please go easy on us this time will you ?

Now they want $14 Million !!!

edit on Feb-24-2012 by xuenchen because:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well its not something new.

en.wikipedia.org...

Lots of countries are changing were and how they get fuel.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
OP, are you not familiar with biofuels?

en.wikipedia.org...

Hemp seed oil is another possibility, as hemp plants can be grown indoors and grow from seedling to mature at a fast rate.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by muons200
Well its not something new.

en.wikipedia.org...

Lots of countries are changing were and how they get fuel.

Is that company's name Solazyme...

or is it "Screwz-a-me" ?

There is no annual fundamental data for this company.

Screwz-a-me Finalcial data

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
OP, are you not familiar with biofuels?

en.wikipedia.org...

Hemp seed oil is another possibility, as hemp plants can be grown indoors and grow from seedling to mature at a fast rate.

Oh Ya -- very familiar.

How much of that crap will it take to power the whole world ?

They can't grow enough !!!

edit on Feb-24-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

For farmers looking to maximize profits, algae would produce considerably more transportation energy than canola and switch grass for every hectare planted, and can also be grown on poor-quality marginal land that cannot be easily used to grow food crops such as corn, according to a report by Andres F. Clarens and Lisa M. Colosi, both assistant professors of civil and environmental engineering in the U.Va. School of Engineering and Applied Science, and Mark A. White, professor in the McIntire School of Commerce.

I think the idea is awesome and the fact that it is being researched shows that it's also a possibility. Algae also reproduces at an extremely rapid rate.

The report, "Environmental Impacts of Algae-Derived Biodiesel and Bioelectricity for Transportation," is available online on the website of Environmental Science and Technology, an environmental research journal and will be published in an upcoming print edition. Hagai Nassau and Eleazer P. Resurreccion, civil and environmental engineering graduate students, contributed to the research.
"We're looking at the entire landscape of biofuels, and asking 'What are the options?'" Colosi said.
She hopes the research will inform public policy debates, allowing people to make the best decisions about alternatives to petroleum.
"It comes down to value-driven questions," Colosi said. "Do we value driving long distances in SUVs that require a lot of fuel? If so, we need to look at algae so we can produce as much fuel as possible. If we are concerned about energy use, climate changes and water supply, then we need to think more strongly about how we can best use canola and switch grass."
The U.Va. researchers relied on what is known as a "well-to-wheel" life-cycle assessment of algae-based biofuel and bioelectricity production for transportation fuels. The research began with examining how the source crops are grown and continued through the point of their transformation into useable fuels for vehicles. They expressed energy output of the various biomass sources by showing how many kilometers a car could travel per the amount of energy harvested from a hectare of land.

Journal Reference:
Andres F. Clarens, Hagai Nassau, Eleazer P. Resurreccion, Mark A. White, Lisa M. Colosi. Environmental Impacts of Algae-Derived Biodiesel and Bioelectricity for Transportation. Environmental Science & Technology, 2011; : 110803125519079 DOI: 10.1021/es200760n

High Energy Output found from Algea based fuel

edit on 2/24/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Sure "they" can. One acre of hemp can produce more seed and fiber in a year than one acre of any other crop currently farmed in the US.

Even if it only reduces oil consumption by 10%, that's a significant leap forward.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Sure "they" can. One acre of hemp can produce more seed and fiber in a year than one acre of any other crop currently farmed in the US.

Even if it only reduces oil consumption by 10%, that's a significant leap forward.

Got some data on that ?

From Genuine sources.

Please.

edit on Feb-24-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

"A" for effort.

But how do they replace billions of barrels of oil ?

Realistically.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

If we could power vehicles on "hubris" then Obama could solve this crisis all by himself.

A conservative would open drilling, creating jobs and scaring OPEC to lower it's prices.

A progressive gives us algae.

Frickin' algae.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
yea... I agree with the OP. Instead of wasting all that money on algae-based biofuel we should be increasing fracking for natural gas. There's tons of gas in the ground we just need to go get it. These people complaining about their water getting polluted are just whiners. So what if algae biofuel production can produce over 2,000 gallons per acre and can do it on land that is unsuitable for growing anything else? Who cares if that is almost 10-times what can be produced from corn? Screw all these new-aged, new fangled energy technologies. There's plenty of oil and gas out there and we have the military to go take it.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Hemp is one of the faster growing biomasses known,[6] producing up to 25 tonnes of dry matter per hectare per year.

en.wikipedia.org...

Grown for oilseed, Canadian grower's yields average 1 tonne/hectare, or about 400 lbs. per acre.

fuelandfiber.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Yeah, let's all just go for other limited resources just because it seems like there's still a bunch of it right now! Screw trying to find renewable sources of alternative energy that can relieve at least a small amount of dependence on foreign oil!

Yeesh, you people bounce back and forth over what you want. I honestly think you don't give a crap what the president does. You just want to hate him.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Hemp is one of the faster growing biomasses known,[6] producing up to 25 tonnes of dry matter per hectare per year.

en.wikipedia.org...

Grown for oilseed, Canadian grower's yields average 1 tonne/hectare, or about 400 lbs. per acre.

fuelandfiber.com...

Wonderful !!

Now replace 900 billion gallons of gasoline and make enough to replace all the natural gas.

How soon can we expect delivery ?

Maybe in the year 2525 ?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
What about Zero point/Vacuume energy? Let me break this down. In the space around us there exists a unlimited sea of energy. The only problem is, this energy is in a state as to be too ephemeral. Particles of energy(protons,electrons,neutrinos,etc) zip around us all of the time. When a vacuume is created, space time is actually negatively bent. These particles behave differently in the vacuume. They slow down. When a catalyst (spark) is added to the mix, this sea of unlimited energy is unleashed. Its clean, free (if powered by the Sun) and unlimited in out put. Thank you Henry T. Moray.
edit on 24-2-2012 by Oannes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Yes, alternative fuels are a must. But, how we get there is the question. Blindly dumping tax dollars (which are nonexistent in the first place) is a stupid idea. If the conversion of algae to usable fuel is feasible, private industry will leap at the opportunity.

Question to Obama: How much energy is expended to convert algae to an energy source? Remember the Volt requires an electrical charge, which is generated mostly from expending coal.

S&F my friend

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia
Yeah, let's all just go for other limited resources just because it seems like there's still a bunch of it right now! Screw trying to find renewable sources of alternative energy that can relieve at least a small amount of dependence on foreign oil!

Yeesh, you people bounce back and forth over what you want. I honestly think you don't give a crap what the president does. You just want to hate him.

Waaa.

Drill AND look for alternative fuels.

We can actually do both at the same time.

While costs are low due to drilling we can take all that money we saved from paying OEPC and use that to find alternative fuels from moose farts, or whatever!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I agree with your remarks. This is something that should be a long, long, term plan (if at all) and he needs to immediately go with the tried and true to stabilize things for the PRESENT>

It occurred to me that I think I heard about the power of algae from the HC's series on Ancient Aliens.

So maybe POTUS has been communicating too much with those out of this world to provide the realistic leadership we need today.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oannes
What about Zero point/Vacuume energy? Let me break this down. In the space around us there exists a unlimited sea of energy. The only problem is, this energy is in a state as to be too ephemeral. Particles of energy(protons,electrons,neutrinos,etc) zip around us all of the time. When a vacuume is created, space time is actually negatively bent. These particles behave differently in the vacuume. They slow down. When a catalyst (spark) is added to the mix, this sea of unlimited energy is unleashed. Its clean, free (if powered by the Sun) and unlimited in out put. Thank you Henry T. Moray.
edit on 24-2-2012 by Oannes because: (no reason given)

great idea.

is that in the book "dreams of my father" ?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
Yes, alternative fuels are a must. But, how we get there is the question. Blindly dumping tax dollars (which are nonexistent in the first place) is a stupid idea. If the conversion of algae to usable fuel is feasible, private industry will leap at the opportunity.

Question to Obama: How much energy is expended to convert algae to an energy source? Remember the Volt requires an electrical charge, which is generated mostly from expending coal.

S&F my friend

Good Point.

I think private industry and investors see the handwriting on the wall.

That's why we see the begging for grants and loans that fail.

If this was even possible, private investment would jump leaps and bounds to get in, not get out like they are doing.

They might need enough algae to fill a hollow Mars planet to replace oil and methane !

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join