It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia urges Syria Ceasefire

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Russia urges Syria truce

af.reuters.com

MOSCOW, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Russia called on Friday for an urgent ceasefire in the Syrian city of Homs and urged both the government and "armed groups" to cooperate with humanitarian relief efforts by a U.N. envoy and the International Committee of the Red Cross.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2/24/2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Russia hasn't flipped flopped on their opinion on Syria this entire time.... Now they want a cease fire.

I truly hope both sides can agree to do whats best for these poor repressed peoples... They deserve peace. We should not just rape their land for resources. Both the West and Russia and China are guilty of doing this...

Maybe something will happen... Or hopefully stop that is..

af.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Hmmm, I wonder whats in it for them to have changed there stance?, Still nothing from 2 other key countrys wrapped up in this though!. Lets see what follows

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The way I've understood it, from what's been reported on the news (Cdn news), is that Russia has always wanted Assad to stop with the slaughtering of the citizens, they just didn't want the type of intervention that took place in Libya. They've been trying to get him to just leave his position of power. It isn't working very well though.

Western intervention has been too much about military force. That's what they're trying to avoid.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I dont see this as Russia changing their stance, they want the red cross to intervene in Syria, not NATO. so they still seem opposed to the West to me.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
well i see this syria bombardment as a bigger picture not just him unleashing shells on his own, More of a finger up to the west and a "do you dare" kind of attitude while putting his arms over the shoulders of his friends, oh and it also allows distraction for his friends to. But thats my oppinion

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It has never been a certainty that NATO would become involved in Syria and in fact NATO has been somewhat distant with the major Western nations seeking to get resolution by Assad stopping the carnage. Military intervention is not on the cards, unlike in Libya where it was spoken about quite openly from the beginning.

The fact here is that Russia has been rightly criticised after they (along with China) prevented a UN Resolution, which Assad appears to have taken as permission to intensify the bloodbath.

All Russia has shown is that they are not as influential as they thought in the air-conditioned confines of Assad’s HQ. Russia can see that their last real client state in the Middle East is slipping away from them. Shame.

Remember, Syria is a pariah state and has demonstrated quite clearly their contempt for human rights and freedoms. It is not just the liberal democracies of the West who are abhorred by Assad, but the rest of the Arab League.

Regards

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Simple....last ditch effort by Russia to keep their boy Assad in power. If he agrees to ceasefire and lets aid in then maybe this thing can wind down. If not, Russia sees that 70 nations are on board to intervene and they wont be able to do squat. 70 NATIONS!!!!

Could also be that if Russia wants any relations with the new Syria that is about to take place then they need to change their tune.
edit on 24-2-2012 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

yeah i feel i should put money on this as been the gains. brilliant.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Cease fire or not, supplies to civilians should be managed and allowed by the Syrian government. Russia should put pressure on Assad to do so. Assad should comply as these measure should work well towards a long lasting cease fire and better understanding.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
A seemingly right step from Russia.

But the article also states:

Russia also praised plans to send former U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan to Syria as a joint U.N.-Arab League envoy.

The Foreign Ministry said Russia hoped Annan could help "resolve the serious political and humanitarian issues on the basis of work with all sides" and foster a broad political dialogue between the government and opponents.

Kofi??? Come on, now

Also, OP, you mention Syria's resources that might be overtaken by outsiders....please elaborate on what these might be as I am unaware....

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

good more 70 nations for Russia to exterminate and conquer

Go ahead attack Syria.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by intuitive
Hmmm, I wonder whats in it for them to have changed there stance?, Still nothing from 2 other key countrys wrapped up in this though!. Lets see what follows

My guess would be the daily body count.

Syria took Russian and Chinese opposition for the UN intervention resolution as carte blanche to indiscriminately kill their own people. I would also wager Syria thinks Russia and China will defend Syria if they are attacked.

Russia is not stupid.. They are not going to risk their resources on Syria when Syria is bringing the problems on itself.

Its one thing to support the government and call for talks.. Its something else entirely different when that government, Syrian, behaves in the manner it is now. The longer this goes on, the higher the risk of Russia being accused of complicity with Assad.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
LMAO!!!!!!!
Yeah Russia to exterminate the US, the EU and most of the Middle East over Syria. Yeah right.

Originally posted by mkgandhas

good more 70 nations for Russia to exterminate and conquer

Go ahead attack Syria.

edit on 24-2-2012 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Syria took Russian and Chinese opposition for the UN intervention resolution as carte blanche to indiscriminately kill their own people. I would also wager Syria thinks Russia and China will defend Syria if they are attacked.

Russia is not stupid.. They are not going to risk their resources on Syria when Syria is bringing the problems on itself.

Its one thing to support the government and call for talks.. Its something else entirely different when that government, Syrian, behaves in the manner it is now. The longer this goes on, the higher the risk of Russia being accused of complicity with Assad.

Yes. Thats it in a nutshell. Russia was acting to shield Assad in the hope he could bring the thing back to order and restore the status quo. They spent political capital doing so.

If it looks like its going to go on and on with bodies on the international media every night Assad becomes costlier and costlier to keep as a friend.

At some point it'll be a better deal if Assad takes the fall so that another friendly party can negotiate a peace while keeping the alignment of the nation intact. I'd imagine the FSB are lining up likely candidates to heroically usurp Assad as we speak :-)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Considering that Russia is building thousands of underground nuclear bunkers for population survival.Russia already has a ultra large civil defence and continues to build more and more. So,Russia will survive the nuclear aftermath and emerge victorious.

Recently it announced 5000 more bunkers for Moscow for 2012 because they expect major events in 2012-15. General Ivanoshov former KPRF presidential candiate(2012) stated in a interview that attacking syria will lead to ww3 with Russia. 5000 bunkers for moscow and US nuclear arsenal is 5200.

As for GCC they will be easy to exterminate and Russia has moral support to exterminate the wahabbi terrorist GCC.

edit on 24-2-2012 by mkgandhas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
the way russia is going it looks nothing like a country, it's been nothing but a nuisance since day 1, all that potential and yet its wasted, been knocked back sevral times and had to start again more than any if im right?

Russia is nothing more than a purpose built war horse full of smug back handed bribes and still trys to keeps its head up high. just because of the size of the country they think there great.

The problem with russia is there a sore loser and will continue to be a pain untill they get to be in the driving seat themsleves.

OH and there only chess piece they have over others it what the KGB had in its files and hidden belows its musems.

Let them make another mistake, its nice to know that there learning slowly.
keep prodding 1 day they may get it right.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Yeah and the Russians cant wait to go live underground and they are going to do so over Syria. Whatever.

Originally posted by mkgandhas

Considering that Russia is building thousands of underground nuclear bunkers for population survival.Russia already has a ultra large civil defence and continues to build more and more. So,Russia will survive the nuclear aftermath and emerge victorious.

Recently it announced 5000 more bunkers for Moscow for 2012 because they expect major events in 2012-15. General Ivanoshov former KPRF presidential candiate(2012) stated in a interview that attacking syria will lead to ww3 with Russia. 5000 bunkers for moscow and US nuclear arsenal is 5200.

As for GCC they will be easy to exterminate and Russia has moral support to exterminate the wahabbi terrorist GCC.

edit on 24-2-2012 by mkgandhas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact

Russia hasn't flipped flopped on their opinion on Syria this entire time.... Now they want a cease fire.

I just added a new thread
Indeed they are flipping...bouncing around the whole thing. I really wonder if they're Really there to help Iran or Syria...both Russia and China.

ATS Thread Link
News Link
edit on 24-2-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-2-2012 by hp1229 because: grammer

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

I agree its the body counts but I also think it might also have to do with making the delivery of the goodies for Assad and possibly ensuring that the money has been paid by assad. In the grand scheme of things, it always seems that Russia and China are the weapons suppliers for the troubled regimes and they make the noise for the sake of it until its declared 'all clear' upon which they flip their sides and join the bandwagon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join