It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There and Their

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I do not want to insult anyone and I do not know why it bothers me so much but people, please don't be lazy and just write whatever comes to your mind but think about the difference of THERE and THEIR. I can deal with everything else, spelling mistakes, anything but I hate reading these two words wrong. It is a shame that sometimes really intelligent posts are let down by this as I believe that there is no excuse in getting these wrong apart from ignorance or laziness.
Here is an aide memoir if in doubt:

1. Spacial meaning: THERE. Over THERE, go over THERE, THERE have been many people. Remember it is the opposite of HERE, both have 'ERE' as an ending. HERE and THERE. Easy.

2. Ownership meaning: THEIR. It is THEIR home, I have THEIR car, THEIR lawnmower is c*ap. Remember it has 'HEIR' in it, just like the guy that inherits stuff. So if it is someone's it is THEIR or THEIRS. Easy.

I hope that this may actually help at least some that have so far been confused. Don't let yourself down [this information has been given to you by a foreigner, so don't embarrass yourself
]

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Hecate666

OMG!!

Another one of these!!!

I think i shall make a rant thread about the number of times, this specific topic has been ranted about!

vvv

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate666
...I can deal with everything else, spelling mistakes, anything but I hate reading these two words wrong. It is a shame that sometimes really intelligent posts are let down by this as I believe that there is no excuse in getting these wrong apart from ignorance or laziness...
You read those words wrong? It's poorly constructed sentences that belie their own meaning that gripe me.

Especially poorly constructed sentences by grammar nazis.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Well, looking at the evidence all those threads had no impact. So maybe this one will, as it gives actually some sort of help rather than just slags people off. Eh?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Touche, want to give me some advice? English is not my first language but if I make mistakes I am very keen learning new tricks. I am also no grammar nazi as I did say that nothing else really bothers me. Read and understand

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Can we also add they're to the list as well
please
for no other reason than to be pedantic
edit on 15/09/2011 by FFS4000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Okay, your sense of humor has won me over.
Give 'em heck!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I don't want to go on a rant, here, but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowulf having sex with Robert Fulton at the first battle of Antietam. I mean when a neo-conservative defenestrates it's like Raskolnikov filibuster deoxymonohydroxinate...

Oh my signature seems to be in the way !!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Hey OP!

You forgot to rant on "they're."

I always forget when to use an apostrophe for "its" or "it's." Is the apostrophe used in the contraction from it is to it's, or in a possessive situation, like, its mine...?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

OMG!!

Another one of these!!!

I think i shall make a rant thread about the number of times, this specific topic has been ranted about!

vvv

Hahah VVV,

Then I would be forced to rant about the people who rant about the people who rant about the incessant homophonophiles!!!

And I'm strictly homophonic!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Gramma Nazis..

You can't beat them... seriously, its just wrong...

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
You use it's, as in 'It is.'

Easy to remember.

Use they're as in 'they are.'

Again, easy.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Their many ways people excess there thinking about whether its okay, or its not okay to
to agree with you're thinking about the access of semantic mistakes.

Some would say your picky and some would say there opinion is smarter than you're opinion
but its really subjective I think.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Oh man, you all crack me up!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

They're they're, don't go getting upset over a little gammer error.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I get the same way when I see "women" when the person means "woman". It's not that I can't figure out what they mean. It's just that it becomes a mental fender bender because I'm reading along and my brain yells "wrong!" and puts a hitch in the works. Pet peeve of no consequence, just irks me. *l*

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Understood!

There will be know more mixing thier and there from now on...
I can see how much it annoys you and I no, that I for one, will attemt to be as vigilante about this as I no how annoying it can be....

Cheers
In advance

Akushla

new topics

top topics

join