It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever ponder your family tree? Check the Internet, may be there...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
A couple of years ago, I was pondering the onerous task of putting together a family tree. With just a little searching though, I found one of my relatives had already done it, and had it online.

It traces our family back to the first arrival here in the States in 1807. It's extremely thorough, and was pretty shocking to see my parents names, and us, with our birthdays, etc. Still though, was pretty cool to find that someone had done all the work for me, so my advice is to check the web for it, before trying to do this. You never know.

This guy had all kinds of family pics up there, pics that illustrate the whole history of our family. Amazing really.

Hope you find your roots too!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I hate when family tree websites make you pay for something important, some information is free but not enough...any website recommendations? I could pay for something like that but I'm against it.
edit on 24-2-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Good post Gazrok.

I wish someone had done my family tree, but no such luck. I've spent many years tracking down ancestry. I'm hoping to post it all online for my family, and related families, once I can confirm some more relations and dates. And make it a cohesive picture.
edit on 2/24/2012 by Klassified because: spelling

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Every family it's important as history and roots,future always builds on the past and everything happens when should happen ,the roots gather at a time as and when they should be.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by anthonygillespie2012

Mine was started by a relative of mine, a distant cousin. He said that he started it, and eventually got more and more response, and then verified people and their info. Ours is now 50 pages, and is accurate back to 1807. He hadn't done much more digging than that, but then again, how many of us can accurately trace our routes back more than 200 years? I was impressed enough.

This was a private endeavor, so no fees.

My main reason for starting the thread, was to encourage others to check online first, before doing all the work themselves.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I actually did this a couple of years ago. I tried on my fathers side of the family because my mothers side is Amish. Their only records are verbal, and if there is a menber of that side of the family who came to live in this modern society, they wouldn't acknowlege them.

It turns out I have a brother in New Jersey, on my fathers side only, I never met but him wasn't able to get any concrete information to track him down. I found an uncle who lived about 50 miles from where I grew up, got his phone number from a site ( Net Detective for the poster who asked. I paid a flat $50.00 for an unlimited lifetime subscription) and called him up. He has a very unusual name so I knew it was him because the only other person in the U.S. with the same name lived in Georgia and had an incative S.S. #. Deceased.

Anyway, when I asked if _____ _____ was his brother, my father, he clammed up. He said he "didn't remember" and that he "didn't want to talk about him" and then that "I got the wrong number." Aside from the fact that my father was an extremely intelligent man judging from the work he did for the Government/Military, ( I was able to find a few things on that online) he didn't seem to have any other redeeming qualities. Hell, his own BROTHER wouldn't even acknowlege him some 30 years after he died.

The bottom line? Sometimes no news is good news. Meaning that sometimes it's better to go on what little you do have if it's positive rather than have a lot of bad things to go by. That's how it worked out for me at least. By all means though try to get as much of your family history as you can. You might learn something about yourself that you didn't know that you can apply to the present.

But as DS said, things will fall into place when they're meant to.

Words of wisdom. Maybe that's why I care. She may be more insightful than peole give her credit for.

edit on 24-2-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
On my Mother's side I found that I am a direct decendant of King Charlemagne. Also have some Native American ancestory on both my Mother and Father's side and other cool stuff.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I can only trace my roots back two generations. Its sad. I wish there was someone left alive to ask more info. I have spent a lot of time on the internet searching but I haven't gotten any results. Even when searching death and marriage certificates. How long does someone need to be dead before you can find that information? It's almost like no one in my family ever existed.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
I can only trace my roots back two generations. Its sad. I wish there was someone left alive to ask more info. I have spent a lot of time on the internet searching but I haven't gotten any results. Even when searching death and marriage certificates. How long does someone need to be dead before you can find that information? It's almost like no one in my family ever existed.

If it helps, remember that when searching for this information there is a difference between an "active" social security number and a "valid" number. A valid number means that it was issued at some point and an active or inactve number means that the person holding that number is either dead or alive.

The Social Security Admnistration is where you can gather this type of information and I think you can get it faster. Meaning they will have this info. before local or state agencies will have info. on death certificates.

On a side note, when employers cross check your SS number for employment purposes they typically go through the SSA and they find out whether a number is valid or not. Technically, I could use a dead persons number because it will show up as "valid" in their system. Whether it's active or not......whether the original holder is dead or alive......they don't seem to check.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Do you have to use S.S. numbers? because I don't have these for any one. The information I have is very limited.
edit on 24-2-2012 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Do you have to use S.S. numbers? because I don't have these for any one. The information I have is very limited.
edit on 24-2-2012 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

No you do not need social security numbers. Just start tracing back from the names and dates of births and deaths. Keep in mind that somewhere along the line the family name may have been changed then is in a different spelling.

new topics

top topics

join