It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD cop comes clean : we have quotas of arrest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
And those who don't meet them are treated like trash...even worse than that...

Cop claims Bronx precinct ruled by illegal system of zealous arrest quotas

A veteran NYPD cop claims his beleaguered Bronx precinct is ruled by an elaborate quota system that has created so much tension that cops now guard the locker room.

In a federal lawsuit, Officer Craig Matthews charges the illegal quotas in place at the 42nd precinct have led to harsh punishments and pitted cops against each other.

Some officers who complied with the quotas have had their lockers damaged, vandalized and even placed in the shower, the suit says.

In a bid to stem the outbreak of “locker flipping,” on-duty cops now guard the locker room around the clock, the suit says.

Central to the quota system are color-coded computer reports that categorize cops by the number of arrests, summonses and stop-and-frisks they carry out.

Officers who fail to meet the reports are highlighted in red.

Black ink is used to denote cops who are meeting the quotas, while silver is used to identify those who are meeting some quotas, the suit says.

Matthews claims that officers who don’t hit their numbers are subjected to a slew of punishments, including undesirable assignments and the loss of overtime.

“Cops are pressured to make numbers and are punished for not making them, which means that innocent people are exposed to baseless summonses, arrests, and stop-and-frisks,” said Matthews’ lawyer, Christopher Dunn.

Seems to me a bunch of evil scum at the top are forcing cops to be evil SOBs... and if you think it's only in the NYPD, you've got another thing coming.

Not all cops are bad, but when bad cops at the top force every cop to become a bad cop OR ELSE... then all you have IS bad cops.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Of course they have quotas. This ensures that courtrooms are full, keeping judges, attorneys, bailiffs and clerks employed full-time.

It's sort of like planned obsolescence, except instead of a light bulb burning out due to purposely designed flaws, the courts find a way to try you for any various citation.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This is nothing new, and not isolated either in many states, counties this has been the name of the game for many many years, its all about revenue and has nothing to do with keeping the peace.

If you really are tired of this kind of BS, then why not take the lawful means to get out of the system and be free from all the madness, you can start by looking up my threads on Treason by Design and PAC patriot mis beliefs.
edit on 24-2-2012 by drmeola because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I do honestly feel horrible for cops that grew up wanting to be the good guy and for the ones that try hard to maintain their integrity once they get their badges but, something is undeniably wrong and this thread points to a partial culprit. I hope that soon the real good guys/gals will form their own movement to clean up the corruption. There's safety and power in numbers.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Quotas are great.

For years the notion was a Lock Ness Monster in law enforcement. Shrouded in denial in and shallow attempts at re-branding with terms like "performance goals."

Then irrefutable proof along with clear and plain admission of the existence of quotas came out.

Nobody cared.

Quotas went from fiction to fact at least 25 years ago and it hasnt made a lick of difference.

We just put up with it.

Change is a pipe dream. All outrage is feigned.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Seeing as how over four hours later this thread has all but died I guess the reality of quotas and all the corruption and rights violations and harassment that comes along with such policies is still a non-issue.

Good to know nothing has changed in all these years.

I'll take the side of the typical police defender here. In every situation where one, two, a dozen, even 500 officers are caught doing something outrageous, illegal or otherwise uncouth threads grow page over page with angry posters and police defenders who cite one rotten apple does not a bushel spoil.

Quotas essentially mean the entire institution is spoiled. Not a handful. Not a few hundred. All 30+ thousand operating under this policy. Proof positive of complete institution-wide corruption independent of any "cops are mostly good" or "cops are mostly bad" perspective.

Yet so few express anger?
edit on 24-2-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Perhaps people don't want their outrage to seem feigned.

could it be that ... arrests = revenue, arrests = justification for budget increases, arrests = political fodder for prosecutors, arrests = jobs?

Or maybe, we are simply the most criminal society that exists on this planet?

Our politicians sure think so.... and police administrations are only too happy to oblige by pressuring LE to be 'aggressive' or suffer the stigma of performance issues on their permanent records....

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I suspect quotas will be surpassed this spring and and summer, especially in D.C. and NYC.
I don't know what it's going to take to get Americasns to turn off their T.V.s or at least realize the MSM is not our friend.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Land of The Free.

new topics

top topics

join