It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Remove Your Google Search History Before New Privacy Policy Takes Effect 3/1/12

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by voidla
reply to post by anon72

So why exactly are you attacking Google and not any social networks which asks openly all of the information that's listed in the article?
Or any websites which asks for name/location/age or any information listed in that article.
Or any one on the street which asks for any of that information listed in that article.
Or your friends or family who may ask you for any of that information listed in that article.

It's like you've just realised data is collected about a person once they sign in on to the internet and are now on a crazy rampage against one organization amongst many which has done or is doing the exact same thing Google will be more open about.

Well, for starters, Google helped Communist China with their Internet filters and tracking software....that should be an immediate turn-off. If it isn't I am not sure what to say. Everyone here is also concerned about the facebook privacy policy as well, and I have heard computer geeks talk about it at conferences. I am a bit concerned about twitter too, but not as much. The Feds can pretty much tap into anything they want at this point. All they have to do is attach a little black box to your isp.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

I think the point with the account is that if you have an account and keep it, you are essentially agreeing to their terms. Nuff siad?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
thanks for your time and trouble - am replying to save this for later today.

I've learned more from ATS'ers than I ever learned in college!

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Thanks for the info OP! Google must be stopped...

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
somebody should make a really good thread regarding whats sites are the ones to avoid and alternitives for each one... or though i can read and i understand to the extent of checking my accounts ect but thats it.

Maybe a "here is a bad engine & here is a good one" kind of explanation?
And sites that are linked to other's and how to go about removing or them or keeping ontop.

And the same regarding stored cookies ect.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
...and I thought they were tracking us with the help of _javascript...Oh well

edit on 25-2-2012 by RandomPoster because: to show my happy face

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Glad they had pictures to go along with the instructions, lordy knows what would happen if they didn't!

My history has been turned off since I signed up to google.

You'd think if one was so concerned about privacy, they'd have known they could turn history off...

It's not as if Google (or any provider), makes it easy to find the options to opt out of such things. You and many here are computer savvy. There is a much greater percentage of people who know the very basics. They have no idea where to find such things, and are not even aware that their history is being recorded. People here probably know toolbars can be used to track history and shopping patterns and so on. The majority of people have NO idea this is happening.

Don't judge everyone by your level of computer knowledge. Not being savvy with computer shouldn't exempt you from privacy. And these sites use very underhanded methods to line their wallets at the expense of that privacy.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
People please note that turning off search history does not save you:

Note that disabling Web History in your Google account will not prevent Google from gathering and storing this information and using it for internal purposes. It also does not change the fact that any information gathered and stored by Google could be sought by law enforcement.

With Web History enabled, Google will keep these records indefinitely; with it disabled, they will be partially anonymized after 18 months, and certain kinds of uses, including sending you customized search results, will be prevented.

But I feel they are keeping notes on us already.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Originally posted by voidla
reply to post by anon72

So why exactly are you attacking Google and not any social networks which asks openly all of the information that's listed in the article?
Or any websites which asks for name/location/age or any information listed in that article.
Or any one on the street which asks for any of that information listed in that article.
Or your friends or family who may ask you for any of that information listed in that article.

It's like you've just realised data is collected about a person once they sign in on to the internet and are now on a crazy rampage against one organization amongst many which has done or is doing the exact same thing Google will be more open about.

Well, for starters, Google helped Communist China with their Internet filters and tracking software....that should be an immediate turn-off. If it isn't I am not sure what to say. Everyone here is also concerned about the facebook privacy policy as well, and I have heard computer geeks talk about it at conferences. I am a bit concerned about twitter too, but not as much. The Feds can pretty much tap into anything they want at this point. All they have to do is attach a little black box to your isp.

Yahoo! also help(ed) "communist China" so why is Google just being attacked? Google actually decided to go against China's wants in regards to censorship and left China, so what's your point? They eventually decided enough was enough in regards to censorship.

Facebook/MySpace/(insert social network here also in China) limit their software to comply with Chinese government.

You're taking this off topic.

Google is doing or has done nothing that any other website, search engine or social network hasn't done before.

Attacking Google in this is petty. They're being more open about what they will be collecting and for some reason, you think it's spooky and bad.
Well you could just play with Facebook long enough until you realise they've been doing (secretly/not as open) as what Google will be doing.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Thanks!
This is just as helpful as the thread on how to clear your Flash memory.
The interweb has become so integrated into our lives we don't even realize they are learning everything about us.

Hell when FB said they were going to have an IPO they said most members will be able to click a buy now button because they already know enough about us to populate the fields required to buy stocks...

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by voidla

oh you are correct. I was thinking it was Google which helped get a Chinese activist jailed but it seems to have been Yahoo. Thanks for setting me straight.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Here's a similar article on Google

news.bbc.co.uk...

More on Yahoo
arstechnica.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I did this years ago then turned off the option for keeping my web history. I didn't need to do this, ha

SMR

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

FireFox Users

TOOLS > OPTIONS > PRIVACY > Check: Tell websites I do not want to be tracked.

How does the Do-not-track feature work? When you turn on the Do-not-track feature, Firefox tells every website you visit (as well as their advertisers and other content providers) that you don't want your browsing behavior tracked. Honoring this setting is voluntary — individual websites are not required to respect it. Websites that do honor this setting should automatically stop tracking your behavior without any further action from you. Turning on Do-not-track will not affect your ability to log into websites nor cause Firefox to forget your private information — such as the contents of shopping carts, location information or login information. Note: You may see less relevant advertising on websites if you have the Do-not-track option activated.

Learn More Here SOURCE

edit on 2/25/2012 by SMR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Thanks again Anon72,

Worked great!

73's,
Tom

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SMR

Thanks to you, too, SMR,
Did that too.
Good advice!!

73's,
Tom

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

done thank you soooo much!!!!! star and flag!

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by voidla

So are you the Off-Topic Police? I was responding to your querying why someone was attacking Google.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

And that is exactly what "Data Mining" is all about, multiple interpretations of your daily habits, by multiple alphabet agencies all with information from your isp and browsing and search history.
This way they can monitor you to see if you are a person of interest, and it doesn't take anything more than an algorithm to flag you, move you to another system, where a more aggressive algorithm looks for any reason it can find to flag you for a personal alphabet soup service.

Why do you think so many different types of behaviour and people now fall under the juris of "Terror threat", because they have the tools to monitor everything in real time to keep tabs on all those naughty people, and they do.
It's a control freaks wet dream, and they love it.

Get something called Do Not Track for firefox, brilliant add on.
edit on 25-2-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
tnks !

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Thanks for the notice, but will it always will float around Google servers nothing really gets erased ......

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join